Today 23rd

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Today 23rd

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:33 am

Heading to South Haven in a little bit. Any one else going? Kinda hope to get the tail of the storm and have at least 1 session LOL
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Re: Today 23rd

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:20 pm

Too bad no one else came out was a great day on 11 meter!
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby Safe_Cracker » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:49 pm

Hey Dutch, I had no power in Park Ridge been out for like 3 days, had a bad phone also (thanks Verizon) so internet was limited. If I would have seen your post I would have joined you. I opted for Miller on the SSW, slight offshore BUT super clean. I got down there and they were charging for parking so I pushed on down the beach to the coliseum where in the back is a big parking lot. They had construction crew there cutting trees and doing repairs so I hid my car amongst their work vehicles lOl. Was a good day, got a few hours on the water but when I got back to my car Gary police car was sitting there. He watched me get dressed and came over and told me, I know your car, next time you pay double haha OMG go figure. I told him COOL, thankyou and smiled. I guess I have to pay the piper when I go back... :D

Polo

PS- If you notice it is a cool summer...... May be good kiting this summer!
I could be wrong, but not usually

:)-~
Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Postby West » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:11 am

You got lucky there cowboy with the parking......it is a funky scene down at Miller (LAKE ST.) during the summer.....it is $10 at Lake St. and $5 at Marquette (coliseum, as you called it). You pay some shady characters just hanging around pocketing money, or so it seems. The cops (?) seem to be locals with badges, although maybe they are security through the park district, I can never seem to figure that one out. With all the shattered glass at Marquette, and not as many people driving by it seems sketchy as all hell..........feels a bit better when there is a crowd of people at the beach, and cars in the parking lot, but you are always wondering about your car while kiting. My recommendation is just to pony up and pay the $10 at Lake St, where there is more traffic......

I have never had a problem in 10 years of kiting there, and I kite there frequently, but man it is always on your mind. Jay just lives down the street and I don't believe he ever has any issues either. Maybe he will chime in on his recommendation as well.

The parking aside, glad you had fun, but with the off-shore winds at Miller, MC is only another 25 minutes . Several kiters were there that day including Jay, who made the trip so he didn't kite the off-shore winds. Make the extra drive to stay on the safe side buddy.
West
Wind Whore

Return to Where to Ride Today