Suggestions for Friday and Saturday (7/1& 7/2)

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Suggestions for Friday and Saturday (7/1& 7/2)

Postby winter234 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:54 pm

Hey guys,
Im new to the sport and the area. Does anybody have any suggestions on where i could go and hopefully find some wind? Something that is with in 5 hours.

Thanks

John
winter234
Board Monkey

Re: Suggestions for Friday and Saturday (7/1& 7/2)

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:23 am

Hey John, Sheboygen looks pretty good for Friday. But it is still too early to tell. The wind on the lake is so unpredictable all the time. If you are new to the sport at all be careful when you go out Friday! But most of all have fun!
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby adseguy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:55 am

I might as well throw in the bad news too. Summer time and good weather is when everyone wants to go out and play, but that is the WORST time for wind around here.

Only a few spots can generate thermal wind like Sheboygan, WI or Tawas, MI. Just check the forums to see if anyone is going and exactly where. Around this area we will get a West wind once every few weeks which turns out to be real nice around Miller beach (Indiana). Good luck to us all.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby West » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:39 am

Got a call from one of my bros from Michigan last night.....with the temps heating up here, and the south winds returning, it is a pretty good chance that it is gonna blow 15 to 25 up at Little Sable Point Thurs. afternoon and all day Friday. It is quite a haul, but almost a sure thing. Gorgeous beach and usually a good crew of kiters there at the Mecca!!!! Bout a 4 hour drive from Chicago....Muskegon which is an hour closer may be good as well, just not as windy as LSP!!!!! You can check the forcast at Iwindsurf.com under the MI South region for Little Sable Point, it is usually a good indication. Good luck, and if you want to ride during the summer, get ready to drive buddy!!!!

Good luck and I hope to be up there myself friday. Just look for a couple of BRO boards on the water, and catch up to us on the beach, and introduce yourself....we're a friendly bunch!!
West
Wind Whore

Postby asawyer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:18 am

I will be up just north of Frankfort, MI riding around Platte River Point this weekend. It's even farther than Little Sable Point, but it should be blowing and its one hell of a spot. If it's blowing, I am sure the Broneah crew will be out. If you want additional lessons, they are some of the best in the MidWest.
Best Bularoo 15m
Liquid Force Havoc 12m
Best Bularoo 10m
Epic Renegade 6m
Liquid Force Mission 144
Liquid Force Proof 151
asawyer
Sand Bagger

Postby Like To Kite » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:55 pm

Thanks for the heads up about the great conditions at Little Sable Point!

Stephen and I are heading there tomorrow to kite the afternoon and all day Friday. Bringing a couple of students along too for some lessons which will be fun.

Here is the link to the location at Little Sable Point for anyone that needs it:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Chicago,+IL&daddr=Michigan+49436+(Little+Sable+Point+Lighthouse+Silver+Lake+State+Park)&hl=en&sll=42.813934,-87.170606&sspn=4.553148,10.821533&geocode=FWICfwIdGuDG-inty_TQPCwOiDEAwMAJrabgrw%3BFewRmgIdZ4jX-iGL3orkY42hsQ&mra=pd&t=h&z=8

Stephen and I will be camping at Silver Lake State Park.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=silver+la ... 6&t=h&z=14

There is plenty of availability for Thursday night and we are keeping our fingers crossed to get a spot on Friday night. We may still have room for 2 more people at our site on Thursday for anyone that would like to share a campsite. We may also have extra camping supplies for anyone that needs to borrow equipment.

Here is a link to make your own reservation at the state park. Once you follow this link, please pick silver lake state park from the list.

http://www.midnrreservations.com/SearchPark.aspx

Alternatively, this park has availability both nights but it is more expensive.

http://www.silverlakejellystone.com/

Looking forward to an awesome kite trip!

Happy Kiting!
Amanda
http://www.LikeToKite.com
(773) 672-3210
Like To Kite
Resident Windfreak

Postby IVO » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:38 pm

Heading to the Mecca on Thursday night or Friday morning with bunch of friends,,Amanda we are gonna camp in Timberview,its not as close as your camp to the lake,but this camp is much better,since we can do there whatever we want to do and not to be restricted by the state park rules.Not to mention we have a big section for ourself without a million other people next to us and the owner knows me,so if you gonna come up short on spots,, come to join us with your group..

West keep me in the loop for DW!!!!!!

Hope to see some new and familiar faces at Mecca bound chapter 1 this year,this is open invitation for the right people :wink:

John as West was saying if you gonna drive to LSP,look for the BRO boards flying around,dont be shy and come up to say hi,,
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:31 pm

You da man Ivo....fire, brews, buddies, stars at night; aw yeah, my kind of party!!!! Hope we don't get the same type of storm we got last time, wooooooweeeeeeee that was a doozy. See you up at the Mecca, wavehog. :lol: :lol:

asawyer, If you are heading up North around the Platte River Mouth, then you will probably be trying to kite at Point Betsie I would imagine, on this type of forecast...if so, keep an eye out for the Godfather, who will be sporting the Caution kites, his name is Matt Mulligan. Rorke should be there as well ripping it up strapless, with the rest of the TC crew...also a bunch of friendly fellows. Enjoy the river float down the Platte, and drink a Shorts for me!!!!

I will be hitting the road bout 4am Friday, and making a pit stop to pick up some Bell's Oberon to toast the Michigan scene with my BROS.....there should be quite a gathering up there for the thermal action.

FOR ANY ONE heading up to LSP to kite.....Walk upwind (SOUTH) away from the lighthouse about 1/2 mile to launch with the rest of the kiters. DO NOT enter the swim zone with your kite!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you find yourself heading downwind into the area by the lighthouse, keep going downwind and self-land your kite below the swim zone. DO NOT come inside until you bypass ALL swimmers and sunbathers. IT is the 4th of July weekend and the beach is going to crowd up quickly. DON'T WALK YOUR KITE BACK UPWIND THROUGH THE BEACHGOERS, a definite NO-NO!!!!!! :cry: :cry: Also be certain to give the windsurfers a wide berth.

The Michigan crew will embrace all who follow these basic rules, and will chastise those who don't. BE RESPECTFUL OF THE MECCA!!!!!! And as Amanda always says: Happy Kiting. :)
West
Wind Whore

Postby adseguy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:34 pm

Sounds awesome. Get it good guys! I want to see pictures IVO!
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby West » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:19 am

It's gonna be on like Donkey Kong........forecasts are catching up with the increasing temps in the area, and I believe it will be quite windier than predicted, so bring your small kites. The rocks are ashakin' and I plan on riding my 9m lit up, so bring your small kites and eat your wheaties, gonna blow all day FRIDAY....make it if you can, I will have several BRO boards to check out if you so desire!!!!!

And just to repeat myself......Please know your limitations: the wind will be ablowin' and will progressively increase throughout the day....don't go too far out and if you begin to drift downwind, come in and walk back upwind....IF you get to the swimmers at the lighthouse, go beyond them and self-land your kite.....DO NOT walk back upwind with your kite through the sunbathers, it will begin to get crowded due to the weather and the holiday weekend.........RESPECT of the local scene goes a long way, and is appreciated by ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :)
West
Wind Whore

Postby jensmadwind » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:44 am

head east chicago!! we will hold down the fort on this side. happy 4th and good kiting
10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Postby DP » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:44 am

Hey guys, just wondering if you think it will pan out in the Grand Haven area on Friday/Sat or would it be worth it to drive up to LSP?
seven7three-3nine8-five7six4
Prodigy/Helix/Octane/Envy
DP
Pump Master

Postby Like To Kite » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:50 pm

Thanks Ivo for the Timberview invite, looks fantastic! We are going to go with the chances of wind all weekend. We'll travel between Muskegan and LSP for kiting and plan to stay at Timberview through Tuesday. Preparing the RV now, the first summer road trip with it! Looking forward to trying out the brand new 9m Ozone Edge along with some Brokite Boards tomorrow in that great wind! If anyone wants to ride any demo gear just let me know.

Thanks West for explaining how to ride safely and respectably at LSP, very important information. When we ride responsibly everyone can have positive experiences, kiters, officials and beach goers included :D

See you up there and Happy Kiting!
Amanda
http://www.LikeToKite.com
(773) 672-3210
Like To Kite
Resident Windfreak

Postby WaWaZat » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:55 pm

Jason & I are trekin' out to LSP early AM Fri. Bringin' my 12 year old daughter & her friend if anyone else with kids is debating. Will be a blast!!
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby nicole » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:57 pm

OMG i love LSP! i can't make it this weekend, but for anyone considering it I think it is definitely worth the drive!
nicole
Master of Kite

Postby winter234 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:01 pm

Awesome!! Thanks for all the input. Planning on heading up to Muskegon tomorrow in AM for a morning session, then going to head up to LSP later in the afternoon. Look forward to meeting all of you.

John
winter234
Board Monkey

Postby cokat » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:41 pm

Conan and I will be headed up Friday afternoon. Looking forward to it!
cokat
Sand Bagger

Postby STF » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:27 pm

Damm

wish i could make the trip with you guys but gotta work till sunday. get it good.

STF
STF
Boosticus Maximus

Postby nicole » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:59 am

schiffy! we gotta hang out/ kite/ sail sometime this summer!
nicole
Master of Kite

Postby Hoosier Daddy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:25 pm

What the heck happened up there today? Down at the south end all hell broke loose, torrential downpours, big time lightning, black skies, scarry stuff. Hope it all stayed down here and you guys were tearing it up. Report please!
Hoosier Daddy
Resident Windfreak

Next

Return to Where to Ride Today