Suggestions for Friday and Saturday (7/1& 7/2)

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Re: Suggestions for Friday and Saturday (7/1& 7/2)

Postby WaWaZat » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:44 pm

Hoosier Daddy wrote:What the heck happened up there today? Down at the south end all hell broke loose, torrential downpours, big time lightning, black skies, scarry stuff. Hope it all stayed down here and you guys were tearing it up. Report please!

Yeah drove through that shizzle w/hazards on this morn. Cloudy skies, 70 degrees & a little offshore when we got here. Then it nudged to side & it was on! 9 all day but waay up & down... sometimes perfect, others overpowered & sometimes just not enough. Not enough time between the variances to even change kites. Standing on the beach right now looking at 7 kites under clear skies w/the sun gettin low. Time to join 'em for an eve sesh!
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:21 pm

a little up and down but all in all....INSANE!!! a GREAT group gathered at LSP. Hope everyone had half as much fun as I did. Just something else to run a new section of the coastline. 25 miles of gorgeous shoreline flying by as we rolled down towards the Mecca with the Bros....7's and 9's....a little lull and then it was back on....WOW, what can you really say about it, excet that it is PURE MICHIGAN!!! :) :) :)

The hang-out afterwards was absolutely one for the ages, up to 17 kiters hanging around enjoying the sunset as it laid down to rest behind the lighthouse for the evening. We jammed to Chanda Mama, threw bags and made new friends with kiters from all around the area. Jimbo and I reluctantly left at 11PM, before the authorities ran us out......Chalk it up...and put it in the memory bank.....Honey Hole to the MECCA!!!!!!!!!

Watch out for the South Haven rider on the rise......i call him "kid soul": Blueberry's boy Zeno.....now he gets it!!!!!!!!! 8)
West
Wind Whore

Postby ssauve66 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:32 am

CHANDA MAMA CHANDA MAMA
go tulu go...
greg u know what im talkin about
-------
Sean
ssauve66
Pump Master

Postby chillin » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:11 pm

A few random pics from the weekend. Was great meeting a lots of new people and of course seeing the regulars that seem to have a kite up ANYTIME there is wind out there!

A little fog doesn't stop the dedicated. I think it is the only time I've seen fog that heavy combined with enough wind to get a kite in the air. Too bad the fog lasted longer than the wind that day

The greatest kite dog I have yet to meet. Max kept us all entertained during light wind.

And on the way out of town I was reminded that there really are not many spots more beautiful than lake michigan

Ozone C4, Ozone Edge
Crazyfly Raptor Pro LTD

314-800-6244
chillin
Wind Chaser

Postby adseguy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:35 pm

Those pictures are really nice. The last one and your quote is perfect!
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby WaWaZat » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:44 pm

That kinda sums up the trip... great job Stephen!
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby asawyer » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:53 pm

I ended up down Frankfort, MI Saturday afternoon due to the extreme S wind direction. One of the Myers brothers (Broneah) was killing it on a surfboard on the smooth 2-3 footers the jetty/wind combo was providing, and there were about 4 other riders there (2 more up at Point Betsie.) By the time I got on the water it was about 20 kts and it held for another hour or so before dying off for the day. Pretty sweet spot to ride despite it being a little crowded by the launch area.

After the wind died out, there were a dozen or so people SUP'ing and longboarding in the left over waves. It was the first time I've ever seen a true "party wave" situation in the Midwest . . . four surfers caught the same wave and road it all the way to the beach. Gotta love riding a new, good spot . . . Oh and West, don't worry I had my fair share of Shorts.
Best Bularoo 15m
Liquid Force Havoc 12m
Best Bularoo 10m
Epic Renegade 6m
Liquid Force Mission 144
Liquid Force Proof 151
asawyer
Sand Bagger

Postby Like To Kite » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:32 pm

Thanks for the nice photos Stephen, it really is so beautiful there! We had such a nice weekend. So fun hanging out with a fantastic crew, camping, kiting and chillin on the beach :D

We are now affectionately referring to July 1st as Good Friday. Once you got out past a wind shadow near the shore the conditions were great especially in the evening when the wind really smoothed out. I was lit on a 7m Ozone C4, Stephen got to try his new 9m Edge and all the kiters looked like they were having a blast! Loved hanging out enjoying a beverage or two (thanks West) with the crew playing bags. Ivo you are the man when it comes to camping, love that campsite and the delicious BBQ!

Ready for another? Road trip next weekend! Tawas adventure time July 13-18th. Here's the info and hope you can make it!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10067

Happy Kiting!
Amanda
http://www.LikeToKite.com
(773) 672-3210
Like To Kite
Resident Windfreak

Postby IVO » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:10 pm

Yeh it was great long weekend,too bad you couldnt stay with us for Tuesday Amanda,it was blowing hard again,that place is magical!

Have fun in Tawas and see you soon!
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Previous

Return to Where to Ride Today