Sunday 17th,Sheboygan

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Sunday 17th,Sheboygan

Postby IVO » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:46 pm

I was thinking to go to LSP again this weekend,but I didnt ride with the Boyzzzzz this year yet,,if the set up stay same Im game...Gonna bring some coldies Sheriff!!!!
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Re: Sunday 17th,Sheboygan

Postby Pier » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:59 pm

Good call, I'm in!
Pier Paolo - six3o 6four0 2o8seven
Pier
Master of Kite

Postby Artem » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:16 pm

I'm game too!!
Black 2011 12m North Vegas, Orange Best HP Nemesis 7m, 134cm Naish Thorn, 8'6 surfboard
-------------------------------------------------------
Artem
Artem
Boosticus Maximus

Postby West » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:25 am

Gonna be a hot one in Chicago, Sunday.....all indicators looking pretty damn good for Shesablowin', thinkin' bout heading on up to see the Sheriff and crew.

and the record keeps skipping....summer time, sunny weekend, south winds.....to keep the Sheriff from having to, I will...DO NOT walk your kite through the beach goers at Sheboygan, if you find yourself downwind of the launchsite, then go beyond the sunbathers and swim area and self-land your kite and walk back up.....be respectful, friendly, and courteous to others, remember that we are visitors. Cold beverages are always appreciated and welcomed; pops included, especially Sprite!!!! :wink:

And to remind ourselves and others who do not know.....the water temps get dramatically colder as you move offshore in Boygan, if you choose to kite offshore, be prepared to self-rescue in case of need, and keep your eyes open for other kiters who might need a helping hand....know your limits, and realize that it is quite a swim in, suit-up for it!! 8)

rattle, rattle.....................
West
Wind Whore

Postby Northerner » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:00 am

Pretty much everything I like to see in a forecast is present and holding, so Sheboygan should be serving up a classic tomorrow. Really looking forward to seeing everyone and getting some real summer kiting in.

West you covered almost all of the ins and outs of kiting in Sheboygan, thanks man, nicely stated. Only thing that I would add is that later in the day the wind usual gets funky on the inside. So if you’re learning get there early to get the cleanest wind. Beaches will be full so let’s help everyone stay in the kiting area and keep those kites away from the sunbathers. Water temps are nice on the inside but a 3-2 is needed for the outside as there the water is in the low 60’s.

Let us also pause for a moment and talk about Beer. We the locals will have a few coolers going to ice down the cold ones. We will have some Hamms, Lennies and some Cow’s. Those coolers though full will be missing something. What will they be missing you ask? How about the crisp and exotic taste of Eastern European beers. So that is the Chicago mission, to fill those coolers with the beers that are drunk in the squares or on the river banks of many of your home countries.

Side note: In place of Eastern European beers you can also bring up the beautiful women of the same region.
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby jensmadwind » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:26 am

i don't think I am going to make it. I am pretty sure there is going to be this a hole there with Slingshot RPMs flying his kite low and cutting everybody off just so he can throw some silly unhooked trick and crash his kite in the lineup. I hate guys like that, they just ruin the whole scene.
10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Postby jensmadwind » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:37 am

this is that toolbags mug shot

10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Postby Pier » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:11 am

Northerner wrote:
Side note: In place of Eastern European beers you can also bring up the beautiful women of the same region.

Andrew, I'm going to have a couple of Eastern European guys in my car...would it work?

:wink:
Pier Paolo - six3o 6four0 2o8seven
Pier
Master of Kite

Postby schuss8899 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:22 pm

Polish ambers and Balkan bocks are best served at 55deg so bring some sun block.
schuss8899
Resident Windfreak

Postby V » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:06 pm

Cant be a total a hole if he rides rpms....
:D
V
Unstrapped!

Postby kwk » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:16 pm

May have to head south in the morning. Damn hot up here in the north woods
Keith
kwk
Master of Kite

Postby noabacca » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:12 pm

Black-&-Yellow

“All the above content is West's opinion and definitely should not be acted upon. The words are not a recommendation to do anything regarding any subject. West cannot and shall not be held liable for the actions of others, in any matter.” ≈V
noabacca
Master of Kite

Postby Northerner » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:29 pm

Really happy with what I saw today and what I’m seeing tomorrow. Forecast for today had a much smaller shot (5-10 with clouds), but we still got kiteable wind for 2 hours. I missed it, as was with family. Got home around four, saw caps, but knew it was dying.

As for tomorrow no complaints on where the forecasts are at. I especially like the temp and wind direction difference between here and Fond du lac. I’m betting we are going to see 18-24 with some nice clean wind for 2-3 hours with 5-6 hours of ride able wind. I'm thinking wind will be starting just before noon. The haze they are calling for is the question at this pt.

Pena’s planning on having his gas grill down right at the beach tomorrow. So here’s an open invitation to all to feel free to bring what you ever you want to toss on .

We will have a few coolers to ice stuff down. Also I’ve recently lost my Żywiec so I hope some can help me find it tomorrow.

Pier that car full of Eastern European guys is fine. Just throw them in a Thule box and that will make room for the Polish, Czech, and Ukrainian girls. Oh man I forgot the Baltic States, they will have to ride in the midde.

Jens that yellow and black RPM bar must be slingshots way of signaling powered up, unhooked and low flying kite in the area. Hope you and the crew can make it. Come early and stay late
Last edited by Northerner on Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby jensmadwind » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:38 am

damn you guys are on top of it, "Black & Yellow"

hey i didn't always ride Slingshot

and i land it with the black and white
10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Postby Northerner » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:20 am

trees are moving up here and the pattern is holding, forecasts look good. Heading down to the beach in a few minutes, no caps yet.
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby Northerner » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:32 pm

Hell Yes on yesterday!!! What a great day we had here, I saw more smiles than kites and it was largest amount of kites I have seen ever in Sheboygan. I counted 26 on the water at once and another 20 on beach.

Wind was great with most everyone on 10-13 meter kites. It pretty did much what I thought it would do, though it didn’t fill in on the inside as much as I thought it would. Wind started around 11:45 and didn’t get gusty until 5-6 as it went more SW.

People were killing yesterday with most riders shooting first and asking questions later. Jens has taken Midwestern riding to another level with his huge pop and kite loop handle passes. Artem and Squirrel were looping there kites every 4 seconds and coming in hot. Ryan from Milwaukee was hitting his Railey to Blind. Lots of others were trying new stuff, showing good moves along with big crashes. Its great to see everyone’s riding being taken to that next level.

Safety wise is it was perfect. Everyone stayed in the kiting area and people were making good decisions. For example one guy went down and was drifting into the swim zone. Instead of letting his kite wash up on the beach or trying to launch it among the swimmer he pulled his kite to him on one-line and then wrapped his kite up out on the sand bar. That showed respect for the spot and safety for everyone on the beach. A tip of the hat from the Sherriff to the guy riding Eclipse.

The party on the beach was just as good as the kiting, grill was pumping out food in afternoon and evening, with plenty of cold ones and pork rinds for all. Couple of us chilled in the parking lot till dark, great meeting Schiff and seeing everyone else. Brokite was of course there in force, bringing the stoke and impressing people with that smooth ride.

I hope the Sheboygan scene impressed you all and was worth the drive, because we would love to have everyone back up to rip it up again on another sure thing 10-15 kt forecast.
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby Artem » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:40 pm

One word.....EPIC! Wensday looks amazing !!!!
Black 2011 12m North Vegas, Orange Best HP Nemesis 7m, 134cm Naish Thorn, 8'6 surfboard
-------------------------------------------------------
Artem
Artem
Boosticus Maximus

Postby jensmadwind » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:24 pm

I got my moneys worth that's for sure.

Pulled up around 11and got a money parking spot. We were welcomed immediately to the beach by Andrew and I presented my offering (between Cris and I almost a case of beer). As soon as the beer was stowed in the cooler, my beer had to fight the Hamms for space, the wind decided the offering was adequate and kicked in.

Got to try the Bro 138 wide with my 14m RPM right off the bat and within a couple tacks was well powered up. It did not take long before the wind steadily climbed to the 12-10m range.

I came in from my first session and saw that the party had pretty much arrived. The beach filled up fast with kiters from all over and the good vibes and good riding just flowed from there.

Special thanks to Andrew,Jon,Steve,Steve's wife,Joe and the rest of the sheboyganites for the food and refreshments.

Thank you West for bringing the spread of boards. I really like the 134, even with the smaller fins it has great grip, seems to weigh nothing( at least compared to my wakeboard), and rides away from hard landings smoothly.

I was really stoked to get an opportunity to ride an 11m Fuel, thanks Ryan, which I really liked. If the wind is smooth so is your ride with one of those.

The wind did get a little weird late in the day, but those who were out in it got a little taste of what riding small inland lakes can be like. Once the wind puttered out (or at least our interest in it) a good crew hung out and celebrated the day with a community Gatorade mimosa. Nice to meet you schiff!
10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Postby victor » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:34 pm

Great day. Good seeing you West, Peña and everyone out there.
I had to rush home since I was there with the family.
Hope to share a brew with you all next time.
Here is a picture and short clip with the limited footage I had.
http://vimeo.com/26610506
Great day.
Victor
victor
Board Monkey

Postby jarch » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:23 am

Awwwww yeeeeeah boyeeeez! Nice job making it happen. Wish I could have made it. Next time I'll plan better and steal Greg's keys to his car the night before so I can drive up. Hot as hell here in Chicago. Wish I could get out for a session on Wednesday and cool off. Get it!
jarch
Boosticus Maximus

Next

Return to Where to Ride Today