Wednesday 7/20 Sheboygan

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Wednesday 7/20 Sheboygan

Postby KitKrazy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:30 am

Hot as it can get. Who's going?
Noah K
KitKrazy
Resident Windfreak

Re: Wednesday 7/20 Sheboygan

Postby kitenick » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:03 am

no way i can get to sheboygan. where is everyone else going? does anyone know how long it will take to get to kegs from downtown in traffic leaving at 4:00pm? anyone going to wolf?
kitenick
Adrenaline Junkie

Postby Artem » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:26 am

I'm down to go!!
Black 2011 12m North Vegas, Orange Best HP Nemesis 7m, 134cm Naish Thorn, 8'6 surfboard
-------------------------------------------------------
Artem
Artem
Boosticus Maximus

Postby Safe_Cracker » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:08 pm

SW tomorrow looks like wolf or north of MC?

Polo
I could be wrong, but not usually

:)-~
Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Postby Artem » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:13 pm

polo if you want to kite in 30 mph winds tomorrow head over to sheboygan. Michigan city will be a waste of time compared to sheboygan.
Black 2011 12m North Vegas, Orange Best HP Nemesis 7m, 134cm Naish Thorn, 8'6 surfboard
-------------------------------------------------------
Artem
Artem
Boosticus Maximus

Postby IVO » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:29 pm

Waukegan gusty off shore,Sheboygan I would expect some ok riding earlier,but once its turn SW ,gusty,MC no wind,off shore...

first stop would be Holland....>Muskegon>LSP depends on your time,gas in a tank and size of you kite...

more $ for a gas smaller kite you gonna ride,good luck!
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:51 pm

Well said Ivo.......you know what that really means, though.....the Point is gonna go off tmrw, and I don't mean Little Sable Point either....although it will be rockin' as well.... :wink:
West
Wind Whore

Postby Northerner » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:36 pm

Just got done checking the latest forecast and watching the local weather. Here's my prediction on things....

Sheboygan is going to blow hard as Artem noted and be good for a bit, but as IVO also noted it will get gusty.

So I'm thinking the wind will start blowing between 10:30-12 and be good until 2-3. after 3 the wind will be very very strong but gusty.

Two options then, One is to try the state park south of the power plant, could be good, the second option is head north to two rivers could be better.

Its a tough call with the exterme heat and the temp differnce being the same bwteeen here and Fond du lac. Regardles I'm going to be riding all day tomorrow...

Water temp was really nice again today, swam for a half hour without a suit and was warm and happy
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby IVO » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:19 pm

One of the key ideas behind good session is to try to stay with the major flow on the lake,,,SSW going SW in the afternoon........,,carnage in the higher part of lake

Im sure you gonna ride whole day Andrew:)thanks for having us on Sunday bro!

Next time WEST :!: 8)
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:26 am

Get on it Sheriff, and I want all the details my friend..........like to know bout 2 Rivs!!!!!!!! The flow of the Big Lake is right Wavehog :wink: ..........got the call from Da Haven boyz, gonna miss out on the POINT today though it is definitely the call; hitttin' the coastline and zippin' to the Mecca. Will be camping streamside and gazin' at the milky way with the strobe of the lighthouse winkin' at the moon!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy Kiting
West
Wind Whore

Postby Northerner » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:31 am

Watching a nice SSW breeze here now with clear skies to the west. Forecsts are showing more south. So it's going to blow the doors off

Marine forecast from sheboygan north:
"S wind 10 to 15 kts increasing to 20 to 25 kts in the during the afternoon. Waves 1 to 3 ft...building to 3 to 5 ft in the afternoon. Partly cloudy. Patchy fog in the morning...then haze in the afternoon"

Ikitesurf showing lots more South now also, though I have plenty great days here when its blowning a true SW and sheboygn bends that wind in.

West you hot dog you know how to make the most of Lake Michigan, with the camping you are getting it real good.

Hitting TR today is a must, got see whats going on. I think I can ride there late into the evening and get some magic.
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby g16362 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:47 am

Maui G, that kitelooping fool, said LSP is the call so thats where i'm headin dawg.
g16362
Pump Master

Postby IVO » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:46 pm

Andrew when the whole lake is blowing SW there are better spots than Sheboygan and that's why u trying 2rivers today,that's my point..ofcourse I know about the pull:)

Hope you gonna score big as I believe LSP is on fire today!

Get the stories up boyzzzzzzzzzzz
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby Northerner » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:07 pm

I got schooled alittle today. Day started out as I thought it would, with caps showing here around 10:30. Got down to the beach around 11 with the wind meter showing over 20. Lots of caps with the wind around 15 on the beach. Steve rigged his 12 and I gave him the brokite 138 wake to take for a spin. He went out worked his kite a few times. At any moment he should be parking his kite and riding lite up, but he kept working it until he was way out. Wind looked like it was 25 yards off but still no punch to the wind. I rigged my 13 and went only to find out the wind was right on the water with little on top. The wind built and I rigged down, a few guys from Chicago showed up and we all rode in strong smooth winds on the outside. 8 guys with nice riding for 2 hours as the wind did come in for a bit but never on the beach like I thought it would in the extreme heat of the day. High light of the day for me was watching Artem with his 11 meter fuel on 15 meter lines going for big loops. One I saw sent the kite below him at height and he landed it. Wind started to fall apart around 2 as the SW was just to strong.

I grabbed lunch and shot up to two rivers to find light wind and cooler temps. Herbie the man with the plan and knowlodge never thought two rivers would go with the cool water after kiting sheboygan in the morning. I had faith though with a small craft advisory and forecast of S 15-25 turning SW 20-25 with gusts to 30. Well I got a ride for 30 minutes with zero wind on the water and everything up top, which gave me two big boosts. Two groups of surfers even showed up based on the forecast and they were shocked at how flat the water was. I should have kept driving to Green bay or baileys as herbie did. Two Rivers has produced some of the best conditions I have seen on the lake at times, but man is it hard to hit. That place is one tough cookie.

IVOs got it right with the “flow of the lake” and one should always go with the flow…. Maui G was right
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby IVO » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:15 pm

Would love to go next time to 2rivers when its windy sheriff,never been there and that place surround same stories as mystical NE in Sheboygan :D

I did sneak out of the work in afternoon with big desire to go kiting with not enough time to get to the right location.So as I was making my way around wolf lake and visualize 100+degree inland lake in full bloom I put pedal to metal with the small hope about weak MC next to jetty.Sometimes when its really hot those dunes pull wind back to the beach and you can ride on some slight off shore conditions,but when first flag appeared with hard S,it was over...
In a day like yesterday when its blowing from the city(thermal day in the upper part of a lake)MC is usually last spot with some wind,ST.Joe sitting in the big hole of no wind and thermals starts to kick in higher parts of MI..with no time and hope that the LAKE wont let his trooper get skunked I went on to ST.Joe..
To my surprise found couple good friends on the parking lot and I knew the worst is over,,,,,,it was light,but with super flat water we rode for 4hours to the time when sun was nowhere to be found.First session in Tisco this year and Im thankful for that to ol Mother Michigan :wink:
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:45 am

Picked up Gregory at Burns Harbor just past sunrise....grabbed Bobby D's stuff he left behind in Da Haven, along with the "motherload" of the bestest blueberries in the world at DeGrandchamps.....red, white and green burrito from Julia's cafe....Fruitvale exit, and Bob's Smokehouse for steelhead, whitefish, and MI microbrews.....backroads to the honey hole, light.....onward thru the countryside orchards to the "shady grove", almost enough....past the cherry stop, gazing at the lavendar pinwheel (oh how sweet they smell when crushed in your hands)....past the Whippy Dip, dunes blazing in the hot sun....over the stream and to the Mecca to meet my bros.....OH YEAH, BIG T and CO. lit on 9m's......drop off a few stix for the boyz to ride.....back to the "shady grove" with Shocktop, 11m and 9m....zipping the coastline, making lines, sipping sunshine, slapping hands.....scenic tree covered hills of sand hugging the BIG LAKE drifting back into the haze as we head to the lighthouse....BAM, we hit the sweet spot, wind's a crankin', kites like butterflies greeting our arrival.....obe's await our thirst, we quench with another just for good measure....Big T, Blueberry, TG, and Jimbo boosting high to hoots and hollers....we gather and decide to zip it again together.....piled high with gear and packed like sardines, the Kzoo kid drives Bobby D's pickup through the forest on a one lane sand road with the hanging branches that make a tunnel for the runaway roller coaster.....we greet the trees with smiles and leave only a trail of dust and laughter that echoes through the years....into the "shady grove" we arrive, and pump 'em up to zig-zag once again.....six friends bound together by the thermal magic, down the coastline ribboned with sand....arching kites dancing in the skies, criss-crossing each other as they fly by the mystified "beachfolk".....BAM, the fan hits HI, and the lighthouse beckons.....tacking out into the cold waters, miles from shore, as the red sun flirts with the glistening waters on the horizon.....a few hops in appreciation for the day bestowed, the buddies' reward for the faith inherent.....coldies around as we drop the kites and the sun disappears out of sight, the lighthouse has taken over the night as we give thanks for the thermal's might....smoked fishes and cheese, and Shorts all around....the milky way and the dipper shimmering bright, before the firelight and the moon take over the night.....streamside with the sound of Ol' Mother Michigan's snore, that resonates through the white pine stretching far above my head....

PURE MICHIGAN!!!!!!!!!!

....a belated thanks to the "back-road" directions scribbled on a napkin that Noah gave Jimbo sometime ago: it has stoked a desire to travel every single road (sand, single-lane, gravel or otherwise) that travels through the incredible orchards, farmyards, thickets, and fields that surround the area we know as the MECCA!!! 8)

do yourself a favor sometime and enjoy the "south haven summer special" (a foam capped glass of Oberon with a handful of blueberries floating on top)!!!!!!!!!!

remember that there is more fun in kiting than just the kiting; enjoy the journey and not just the destination........ :wink:
West
Wind Whore

Postby Hoosier Daddy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:00 pm

Oh man that sounds like a dream...and that's the longest sentance I've ever read!
Hoosier Daddy
Resident Windfreak

Postby schuss8899 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:53 pm

Alrighty, now, that is butter.... :lol:
schuss8899
Resident Windfreak

Return to Where to Ride Today