Sunday 9/18

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Re: Sunday 9/18

Postby xwindsurf » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:11 pm

I went to Kenosha early, and had 2 hours of nice riding on a 14m. Very smooth, shapely waves.
Then the rain came, and spoiled the fun. I wish I stayed longer because it shows 20 again but it was all wet and didn't look like much would happen any time soon...
Respect to the wise men who said go to Sheboygan :!:
Tom
--------------
773-725-2535
xwindsurf
Master of Kite

Postby gbleck » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:15 pm

It delivered a kegs but not till later and not till the rain started to pelt. Fun big chop. Good day to test the new racing twin tip dager board. Supprisingly ridable in breaking waves. Fun but now I have a massive 15M sandy wet pile of dacron to dry out. If sheboygan was dry it was tottaly the right call.
Me = 145lb + 6" + (15M spd3 dlx, 11M x-bow, Kahoona 9.5M, 7.5V2) + Zap skim, home made 133 orange carbon aka Bifrost, home made black 170x50 cabon racing light wind tt, 133 wide tip carbon) + red helmet
gbleck
Master of Kite

Postby WaWaZat » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:56 pm

Ah yes!...Sheboygan delivered all the promised goods! Nice 9M winds, plenty of wavage to play on, and the real rain held off until 5pm, as forecasted, almost on the minute. Truly a wonderful spot and sorry I haven't made the trek sooner. Beautiful beach & overlook, extremely convenient parking with off-the tailgate base camp practicality....

Some of the Chi boys did make the run to tear it up! And at the end of the day, it was up the street to the Sheriff's abode for some post kite/Ivo B-Day commemoration. West, appreciate the cooler hospitality... always some quality stuff in there. 8) Thank you Sheriff for the warm reception & the yard foot-rinse. Great spot you boys have there.... thx for sharing! Look forward to hitting some of those famous summer thermals next year!
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby adseguy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:50 am

Sheboygan held out! Very nice. I got a 2 hour session in between the rain drops from 4:45 to 6:45. 12m buttery flat with only my wake leaving waves. I'm surprised people went to Keegs in the afternoon. Nothing was really predicted until much later when the T-storms could have a chance to roll in.

I find this site is dead on. http://www.sailflow.com/windandwhere.iw ... ast+Graphs (expand the "more hours" tab) It uses NOAA and makes a model, but what's nice is it predicts to the hour when the wind comes in. It gives me an idea of when and how strong. I match this up to a current wind meter like http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/metdata/chi/prev3.html and from here I have something almost fool proof. I kid you not, but this year I only got skunked maybe 2 or 3 times at the most. I doubt if it's even 3. NOAA is terrible sometimes because it predicts 10-20, but that does us no good. I want to know when it's 10 and when it's 20! The previous sites help.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby West » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:00 am

When in doubt just bust the trusty wind rocks out.................forcasts are just that...............more to it than some damn meterologist looking at past data to try and figure out the future....gotta take matters in your own hands and control your destiny!!!!!!!!!!!

Despite the Sheriff's insistence that the BRO crew make a Uturn in Milwaukee due to diminishing winds, we carried on, rocks ashakin'....hit the beach to increasing winds...Mr. Birthday, Ivo, rigged a 12 despite the sand blowing down the beach....he was back after a tack to rig the 9m..............IT WAS ON LIKIE DONKEY KONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

A lil welcome rain, cause like V says....with any east you want rain....and the kids were splashing all day, ripping and sipping in the raindrops...........SHESABLOWIN'

ThX to the Sheriff for opening up his home and letting us enjoy the lakeside view from the porch......Pena, you know buddy :wink: Colin, nice to see your son, happy 1st!!

Hope you enjoyed your wind and waves Trooper, Happy B'day!!
West
Wind Whore

Postby WaWaZat » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:30 am

I agree with both Adrien and West when it comes to judging if & where to make an attempt at kiting for a day. Gather your data from the most reliable sources. But use common sense, past experiences & advice from the many kiting gurus around here to make the determination. Just realize that storm fronts, hurricane remnants, the coriolis effect, et cetera, can change conditions in an instant. :D So yes, shake those rocks & do your wind dance ritual because sometimes the wind Gods need to know we love 'em and that we are paying attention.

Here are some similar resources to what Adrien posted. Pretty much the same data, just alternative ways of finding it.
http://www.ikitesurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=142&CFID=6411171&CFTOKEN=e5fdfe65d3a3de93-1236B804-0817-B574-050FA3844FFC5877
This is a great one. If you zoom in on the map, you can find live wind meter flags in more locations. Click on 'em!; http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=41.68434143&lon=-86.87657928&zoom=8&pin=Michigan%20City%2c%20IN
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby gbleck » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:53 pm

Blah blah blah... just install a GPS bug on west's bumper. :)
Me = 145lb + 6" + (15M spd3 dlx, 11M x-bow, Kahoona 9.5M, 7.5V2) + Zap skim, home made 133 orange carbon aka Bifrost, home made black 170x50 cabon racing light wind tt, 133 wide tip carbon) + red helmet
gbleck
Master of Kite

Postby WaWaZat » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:00 pm

gbleck wrote:Blah blah blah... just install a GPS bug on west's bumper. :)
Shhhh... West just commented to me yesterday how he sees me everywhere he's kiting. Just trying to throw the dogs off... then you come along and post this on a public forum! :wink:
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby Like To Kite » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:49 pm

What a fun day! Looking forward to visiting Sheboygan sometime, sounds great!

I chose Waukegan for its close and more convenient location for students and myself yesterday. We had good wind for learning from 11-3 so we had fun flying kites, body dragging and 17m Ozone Zephyr riding conditions. After my student left, I took out the Zephyr and a big Brokite board and was completely overpowered, yea! Nicely, Jim lent me his kite and board to avoid another trip to the car and I had an awesome session - so much fun - Thanks Jim!

I also like Sailflow, Adrien. It usually seems to be really accurate, yesterday it was spot on. I like to use this view of the site because you can easily get a visual overview as you click the little arrow forward.

http://www.sailflow.com/windandwhere.iw ... meoffset=0

There are so many different factors when it comes to predicting the wind. I really heavily on the advice of those more experienced in the area and I always appreciate the updates in the where to ride section along the with people that call/text me directly.

Ivo especially has always been an incredible source of information and knowledge and an all around great guy. HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY IVO!!! :D
Amanda
http://www.LikeToKite.com
(773) 672-3210
Like To Kite
Resident Windfreak

Postby IVO » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:02 pm

Thank you again for birthday wishes,to Sheriff for hospitality,to my BROS who came to ride with me :wink:

I had a blast,what more could you ask for, than to rip some bottom turns next to your buddies on your birthday,kite dance on the wave next to each other.

Many mahalos to All!!!

Good times,some stuff could only happend in Sheboygan,Wisconzin :lol:
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Previous

Return to Where to Ride Today