How far north to find snow from appleton/oshkosh wi? asap

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

How far north to find snow from appleton/oshkosh wi? asap

Postby snowball » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:17 pm

I can go crash at this girls house just north of appleton and then how far would I need to drive in the morning to go snowkiting? Yes I am desperate

Anyone that wants to join I know if we drive all the way to northern michigan which isnt really that far we can score and get a cheap hotel. Wind looks good for next 2 days.
My Quiver: Slingshot Fuels, Best Waroos, Mystic Harness, Brokite Board, Zap Skimboard, Naish Surfboard.

KITEBOARDING LESSONS - WATER - SNOW - LAND + GEAR SALES !!!

Owner at http://www.ChicagoKiteboardingLessons.com Email: Chicagokitelessons@gmail.com
snowball
Boosticus Maximus

Re: How far north to find snow from appleton/oshkosh wi? asa

Postby snowball » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:21 pm

Keweenaw peninsula has over a foot of snow right now - only 5 hour drive from here but very remote and kind of dangerous to go alone in the winter.
My Quiver: Slingshot Fuels, Best Waroos, Mystic Harness, Brokite Board, Zap Skimboard, Naish Surfboard.

KITEBOARDING LESSONS - WATER - SNOW - LAND + GEAR SALES !!!

Owner at http://www.ChicagoKiteboardingLessons.com Email: Chicagokitelessons@gmail.com
snowball
Boosticus Maximus

Postby skysurfr » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:57 pm

Considering Frontier had $190 tickets to Durango Clorado, $20 rental cars.... Youll probably spend more on gas driving to the UP.

It's pretty dismal everywhere but that little corner of Colorado / New Mex.

Just saw a friend from Vermont, they are still not fully open. Same in Utah. Old snow.

Maybe this little blast will drop some.

You might do better over in Michigan or Indiana?

Mike
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby xwindsurf » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:03 pm

Mike,
Just in the interest of painting the whole picture: the usual suspects in NW corner of the country + Whistler & vicinity get pretty good snow too, just take a look.
The amazing Mt. Baker I discovered last year (for skiing, not kiting) is among them. Highly recommended
Tom
--------------
773-725-2535
xwindsurf
Master of Kite

Postby Ripshade » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:54 pm

Go to skyline Utah. I'm here currently and it is friggin surreal! So much terrain to ride, people are super friendly, and quaint. I don't recommend the smr cabin rentals. Instead stay at the skyline motel. Been here since late sat night and kited every day since monday and the rest of the week looks great. Unfortunately we're leaving friday, but its pretty amazing out here. Plenty of snow and still areas of some powder. been riding a 13m and have had no problems.
Ripshade
Wind Chaser

Postby xwindsurf » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:02 pm

Tom
--------------
773-725-2535
xwindsurf
Master of Kite

Return to Where to Ride Today