Summertime South...the 5 day blow

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Summertime South...the 5 day blow

Postby West » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:11 pm

Heading up the Michigan side of the BIg Lake for some of that southerly magic..........downwinders will be getting picked like ripe plums off a swaying full- loaded tree!!!!!!! Gonna be an epic stretch for the crew.........Kite with Caution Bro :wink:

Heard from Mulligan that Betsie went off this afternoon to start it off in fine fashion....between the Mecca and Nirvana, it will be something special!!
West
Wind Whore

Re: Summertime South...the 5 day blow

Postby mrgrey » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:25 pm

West wrote:Heading up the Michigan side of the BIg Lake for some of that southerly magic..........downwinders will be getting picked like ripe plums off a swaying full- loaded tree!!!!!!! Gonna be an epic stretch for the crew.........Kite with Caution Bro :wink:

Heard from Mulligan that Betsie went off this afternoon to start it off in fine fashion....between the Mecca and Nirvana, it will be something special!!

call me a newb, but who is Mulligan, what is Betsie, and where is Mecca if its not in the middle east somewhere? Feel like I have been cracking the DaVinci code over the last year learing the lingo....
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby adseguy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:53 am

West is the king of mysterious lingo that only a half dozen people can fully decipher. I still don't know where or who he's with sometimes, but I can always tell he's havin' a blast.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby FSP » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:04 am

the drive is long but wind plays like a song... from blueberry hill to peach pit trail you shall lay a rail..6 outta 10 and time to do it again..onward seamen.
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby Northerner » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:39 am

Well Spoken FSP,

West is a man of word play

He's saying the forecast has been validated, the places he's riding and what he expects. I was a hair away from heading over there myself for this one. Just needed a partner in crime from my crew to ride shotgun, sadly non could be found.

Hoping for day three today here, should go once the clouds do. 12-14 meter yesterday with clean but light wind just off shore and stronger stuff inside. A bit light for the forecast

Maro I think I got my hands on your wife's bootie(s) still from yesterday. 8)
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby IVO » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:10 am

Mrgrey,

West left before sun went up,so you gonna have to settle with me than.

Mulligan is one of the godfather of Great Lakes,probably knows more about weather and lake than anyone,rides for Caution kites,from Travers City.

Mecca is LSP,Litlle Sable Point

Betsie aka Point is Pt.Betsie ,both places are in Norther Michigan,google map is your friend

Those places are amazing in summer for thermal driven winds(along with Sheboygan)

Hope this help:)

Heading out tmr morning
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby mrgrey » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:18 am

IVO wrote:Mrgrey,

West left before sun went up,so you gonna have to settle with me than.

Mulligan is one of the godfather of Great Lakes,probably knows more about weather and lake than anyone,rides for Caution kites,from Travers City.

Mecca is LSP,Litlle Sable Point

Betsie aka Point is Pt.Betsie ,both places are in Norther Michigan,google map is your friend

Those places are amazing in summer for thermal driven winds(along with Sheboygan)

Hope this help:)

Heading out tmr morning

Gotcha! Can I assume that the 15mph South forecast with 90 degree heat on Saturday means LSP is the set-up for a thermal?
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby IVO » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:45 pm

mrgrey wrote:
Gotcha! Can I assume that the 15mph South forecast with 90 degree heat on Saturday means LSP is the set-up for a thermal?

You sure may say that,but there's little bit more into that.As with anything in life what you learning from scratch its gonna take some time to master.It takes more than grapes from California to make a good wine,or plain chicken to make a awesome dinner for your friends.Spices,red peppers will make all difference,experience and love for making wines will turn those grapes to something special and its same with forecasting skills... :lol:

Full tank of gas,smile and some coldies for locals,will get you farther fast in either side of lake.Watch out for Northerner(Sheriff)updates for Sheboygan as well.

I might have to be back on Saturday night,so maybe gonna go hang out with Boygan crew tmr and Saturday,will see!
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby mrgrey » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:44 am

IVO thx for the lesson...not much of uva wine drinker but I do have a bottle of Dark Lord with our names on it next time you wanna educate me.. :D Wife and daughter like what they see in Sheboygan and I plan on heading up there tonight and staying through sunday eve for a family trip... If there happens to be wind that'll be a bonus.
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby maly » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:45 am

Northerner wrote:Well Spoken FSP,
....Maro I think I got my hands on your wife's bootie(s) still from yesterday. 8)

Sheriff, you better take them off or I'll put dent on your pretty .... new surfboard
Mario
maly
Adrenaline Junkie

Postby IVO » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:57 am

Smarter people gaving out lessons,might have some tips and no problem to drink that wine with you:)

Funny as hell Mario!!!!!!!
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby Northerner » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:59 am

Grey you should get some wind tomorrow looks like it will 12-14 meter stuff again.

Hoping for another good day today, just hoping the clouds pass.

Mario I would love to get my hands off them and get them back to you. I can send with Ivo if you want. Someone at the beach thought they were hers.
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby WaWaZat » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:08 pm

Northerner wrote:Grey you should get some wind tomorrow looks like it will 12-14 meter stuff again.

Hoping for another good day today, just hoping the clouds pass.

Mario I would love to get my hands off them and get them back to you. I can send with Ivo if you want. Someone at the beach thought they were hers.

Would love a sheriff's update for Sat as we roll closer!
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby jkjaeschke » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:55 pm

Agreed, looks like it could be nice in sheboygan/two rivers tomorrow. I'm ready to make the drive...
James
jkjaeschke
Resident Windfreak

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:55 pm

Any updates from the Guru's on the Michigan side? Considering to head out there on Sunday. Taking the classing Naish Skypirate just in case!!! :lol:
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby mrgrey » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:24 pm

Sheboygan! Heading to the Ale House now... Lookin forward to meeting a few new faces if they get a thermal here.. otherwise got the bikes and SUP! wind or not nice to get away.
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby Rorke » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:28 am

Yesterday was devoid of wind up here. It did blow 25 for about 2 hours, but only in the bay.
Today is light, and tomorrow has been downgraded.

There's your report from up north.

Looks like it will be a fun weekend of SUPing, sailing, and wakesurfing,.....but let's face it, none of those is kiting.

I hope the guys on the cheesy side of the lake get it good!
IKO Certified Instructor
USCG Master 100T
USCG Approved Instructor/Examiner
Red Cross - First Aid / CPR Instructor

http://www.lakeeffectkite.com
Rorke
Zen Levitator

Postby adseguy » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:33 am

The meter is starting to rise here in Chicago. Like stocks, you love to see it move in that direction and right now I'm hedging towards wind :)

Enjoy the last summer days people :)
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby mrgrey » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:44 pm

Got it pretty good today in Sheboygan for my likes.... wind was nice early...died, then came back again late. Logged enough time on the water to leave this newb sore and tired. Great to put names to faces and love the set up for my fam and I to all have a good time. Will surely be back!
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby Eric A. » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:23 pm

Saw the crew on Friday night in Saugatuck.
They rode all day at the point.
They have been riding everyday since......today....yet another ripper.....9-7m

All said and done....5 for 5 I'm betting. Unreal setup over here.
MI Is delivering once again.

I didn't even get 5 for 5 in the gorge.......Mi just rules for kiting....hands down...nothing better.....absolutely nothing,....but hey...I'm a Michigan boy all the way.....I just love my fresh water ocean, sugar sand and miles upon miles of shreddable real estate......pretty soon friends from the gorge will be traveling here to vacation....just watch...the word is out in the Hood.

Wish I could go ride some of this.....but...somebody has to work......guess its my turn to take one for the team.
Eric A.
Kite Crew in Training

Next

Return to Where to Ride Today