Sunday 9/30 Montrose Land/Water

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Sunday 9/30 Montrose Land/Water

Postby WaWaZat » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:02 pm

Been watching the borderline forecast for Sunday the last couple days and Jason & I have decided to pack the car for water AND land kiting and go see what happens. If it comes in enough, we'll be surfin' the city Skyline but if not quite enough... and as long as there is not too much happening on the beach... hit the wide open empty areas of sand with the foils, landboard & buggy...
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Re: Sunday 9/30 Montrose Land/Water

Postby tyedye » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:35 pm

I'll bring a buggy in case.
Tyler
tyedye
Chop Wrestler

Postby kitekid21 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:21 pm

Gah! Wish I didn't have work! Have fun out there guys!
I'm the guy in the obnoxious board shorts, always. Twitter: @chi_surfer
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Postby Coleo » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:51 am

I'll be there!
Coleo
Board Monkey

Postby WaWaZat » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:42 pm

Montrose was almost like a kite park Sunday... and what a bea-U-tiful day! Kites on the water until around noon when it lightened up too much for those shenanigans, then Jason & I broke out the foils, buggy & landboard for the rest of the afternoon. Others soon joined the sand tacks including not yet officially certified to ride the waters of Montrose Tyler on his Bigfoot ballon tired trike!! Suddenly we were surrounded by single lined recreational kites piloted by standard issue beach goers which added nicely to the aesthetic! Winked at a couple as I passed by with my big kite and got big approving smiles back... we all coexisted in sweet harmony. All except for one roaming mutt who decide to pee on my just outta da factory plastic Ozone C4 15M!! He ducked and trotted briskly yet shamefully around me towards his end of the beach as I gave a stern yell and pointed the misdirected canine to his area. We even got one brand spankin' new ambitious female beginner up on a trainer kite who did quite nicely obliging to her safety briefing as WELL as kite control!

A few of us could use to be a little more contentious of getting too close to the dog beach and we all should make certain we obtain (if possible) & are flying our streamers even in the "off season" but all in all, there was a lot of safe & courteous kiting goin' on! Even on land, I saw kiters taking the initiative to stay clear of other visitors. Any of the aforementioned rule bending was openly discussed with most and duly noted. It seemed that everyone present agreed that we need to get those streamers on our kites and keep 'em there year round, not only out of respect for the rules set forth, but also to check ourselves with each other as well as set a good example for the newcomers present who are checking the scene. I talked with a kiter visitor from Oregon who showed up to scope the happs. He asked about rules but seemed to have already educated himself before even setting foot on Chi sand. He gladly showed me his IKO III instructor credentials and asked about obtaining a streamer. I informed him of the possible streamer shortage and welcomed him to kite our spot, asking him to present again his card to anyone who might question while kiting during his stay this week. He was very courteous. It was refreshing to meet an out of town kiter who took it upon himself to thoroughly do his homework before showing up to visiting launch.

Great day on the sunny city skyline... nothing else like it!! Really makes one appreciate what we have here. I look forward to more!!
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby IVO » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:20 am

Sounds great Mike!Keep the bar high,it'll do wonders on longrun for Montrose.
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby WaWaZat » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:43 pm

Almost forgot... there are more chards of glass and crap on that beach than ever! It wasn't glass, but I stepped on something that nearly knocked me off my feet! Have a nice blood blister for my trouble. It's about time for a beach cleanup, no?? Does anyone know if Surfrider has a schedule for this beach or an arrangement or who to contact to suggest it? Would be good to get some kiters together and help the cause like we've done in the past.
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby adseguy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:11 pm

Although, I've never been cut by that glass I agree there is a TON of it this year. The park stops taking care of it after Labor Day. I'm part of Surfrider and I believe have talked about one in October. I'll update you guys on that. It's a good idea.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby WaWaZat » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:54 pm

adseguy wrote:Although, I've never been cut by that glass I agree there is a TON of it this year. The park stops taking care of it after Labor Day. I'm part of Surfrider and I believe have talked about one in October. I'll update you guys on that. It's a good idea.

Sweet... I'm in! Let's get big group of kiters... big beach!! Let me know as soon as you can and I will make announcements in other venues as well. Glad to help initiate things with Surfrider if necessary. I did let my membership lapse... should renew that.
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Return to Where to Ride Today