Wrappin' it up......2012

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Wrappin' it up......2012

Postby West » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:43 am

Well, well..........another incredible year of kiting on the Big Lake. Wrapped it all up in the last week or so with 4 stellar sessions scattered around Lake Michigan in some chilly conditions with some other kiting die-hards........Holland, Sheboygan, Kenosha, Zion!!!!!!!!!!

Last week on the strong SSW, I hit Holland with John Lynch, Big T, Half-life and Scotty G; sunny skies, smooth waves and lit 9ms for my last sesh in Michigan for 2012, a sesh that left us toasting the year at New Holland with a Madhatter or 2. Caught Sheboygan with Ben, Sheriff, and Jens a couple of days later; it was a ESE day with plenty of rain, tons of wind (7m) and some well formed waves in a cove just North of Boygan, quite a sesh with the Cheesehead crew sporting the New Glarus collection!!!!! Followed up with kiting solo a couple of days before Christmas at Kenosha on a SE; got the "rain window" at sunrise on the 7m again, and scored some "jewels" coming in between the double jetty set-up. Got my last day of the year with Jens the day after Christmas; we did a downwinder from Zion to Keegs in conditions that had us "icing UP" on the small kites, but the waveriding kept us warm and the "hot-tub" at the power plant aided in thawing us out, got a bit of sleet, and the lake seemed to be moving in slow motion as it approaches freezing temps. Sure made the Bell's Christmas Ale taste good as Jens and I sat and re-capped the afternoon and the kiting year.

We talked about the many quality spots we have all around Lake Michigan, just gotta catch 'em at the opportune time.....and the many spots yet to be ridden......that's the beauty of it for me. It is a timing thing; the Lake dictates where the best riding is on a particular day, and it often requires a bit of driving in order to tag it.......but when you are sitting down with a kiting buddy reminiscing about the day's riding over a local brew in some tavern scattered around the lake, it sure puts it all in perspective for you........THE BIG LAKE RULES!!!!!!! :wink:

Can't wait for 2013.......been talking with da Haven crew, and the bros are set to log a thousand shoreline miles on our Lake Michigan downwinders next year. We figure that we average about 15 miles/dwndr, so that would mean about 66 of 'em....gonna be a special year, indeed!!!!!!!! Get your kicks, on downwinder number sixty-six...................HAPPY KITING
West
Wind Whore

Re: Wrappin' it up......2012

Postby JDL » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:49 am

Hell Yeah!!!

The Frankfort - Pt. Betsie (3) downwinder day takes the (2012) cake for me. The crew, the waves,the blue sky, the sunset and moon rise all made for the perfect day.

I got to ride w/ so many amazing people, this season, and not enough w/ others. A big THANK YOU to all for sharing your stoke w/ me. We've got it so good w/ Lake Michigan in our backyard.

2013......Gonna Be Good!!!
John
JDL
Wind Chaser

Postby FSP » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:25 am

MC end of september. Twas a bizzare day with nothing special in the forecast but that morning kites littered beach and kites littered the beach. One or two skimming the shore so had to see the scoop. With one of the longest reaches out and each sandbar getting bigger than i had ever seen..I soon realized this was going to be one for the books. Final sand bar some quarter mile out was peaking off as i my head tilted wayyy up to either chicken out or race for the chance to finally make it. Once out i realized the size had created so much interval you could actually look around and take it all in. For that next hour dropped in on waves so big the backs/troughs would block view of my 10 story condo at times and that feeling of being transported to somewhere else went on. As I came in on the my last set of the day I remember closeouts so huge looking down the line that for the first time on the lake I was paralyzed by the awe and knew that yet another level i did not believe could happen unless i had been there.

Still discovering, still amazed makes 2013 hard to wait for.

See you all march 1st
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby IVO » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:39 pm

All that wind came together to a one big blurry windy dream,lots of happen,funny how quickly time has passed.Places become one,but still some moments arise in a memory more than others.More and more I realized it wasnt about chasing biggest waves with friends,but killer time doing what you love than anything else.

We sure put the show on a road,so lets take a look

we look out to find our soul mates

searched deep in hearts

tried to find new opportunities

did swim a lot

felt for the show

lots of bodybuilding and poses for girls!

new guys on the block

we had sooo much fun

and did party a lot(and got pulled over for that matter)

yeah we crazy,but we like it that way

went out when most stayed home hiding under the bed

got that shit by the balls!!!

and party again

grabed a ass as often as possible

specialized in diving discipline

chossed a cookie and beer when times were tough

but dude we were there

showing off our true us

big time,hell yeah!!!!!!

old Maui time expression

you know when time gets rough we gotta swim under

two times charm

we fished a lot

showed off

even Santa came to the land of cheese

and those trips,ahhh

yeahhhh,we ate like kings and party like that as well

you gotta ride with caution brossssss

we did watch that shit goes down about zillion times,but let me tell you,it never gets old.Everyone was different,special..

deep in Michigan we rode,where Johny Babka is the Boss!!!

rissed to the sun

true,some friends left

and some throw that loop around all the time

let me tell you,if you didnt do downwinder with BROS from 17th street you didnt kite yetttt

those birthdays were special,thank you for that!

we followed the force all the time

and some times cant be repeated

?

or just simply be off the hook :)

what can I say more,follow the full moon,look out for transformation of Jupiter to satellite,and thats where you gonna find The Bross,yourrr Bross enjoying the Life,nothing less,nothing more ;-)
So HAppy 2013 and lets do it again comrades!

Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby adseguy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:58 am

I don't even know what to say IVO. This is just AWESOME! I really felt that came from the heart. We all know that feeling you get when you are driving to the destination, pumping up the kite, and getting that first and last tack out. Work troubles, forum troubles :wink: , government, economics, all that just feels petty and meaningless. When you are in the moment, the worst day in your life will end with a smile and possibly a brew. A true soul session is what we're all after.

Thanks for sharing buddy! Cya in 2013
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,9,10,12 Epic Screamer
10,14 Eclipse Thruster
129cm Epic Spartan
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby STF » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:34 am

IVO!

Great wrap up hommie!

Use the force!