Mount Bohemia - March 20-21 - free ride

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Mount Bohemia - March 20-21 - free ride

Postby xwindsurf » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:28 pm

I'm driving there from Chicago, taking off late Tuesday afternoon (3/19), returning very late on Thursday.
If you have time and want to go, we don't even have to split gas, provided you're willing to drive half way.
I have a decent VW Passat AWD, if you prefer your car, I can cover all the gas.
I booked a decent and cheap hotel 20 miles away, I heard accommodation on the mountain is not worth the money but I'm open to all suggestions.
Send me a PM or call if you're interested. 2 people are OK as well.
Tom
--------------
773-725-2535
xwindsurf
Resident Windfreak

Re: Mount Bohemia - March 20-21 - free ride

Postby themooshes1 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:35 pm

I dont need a ride but I will be up there thursday night, staying until sunday. You said the accommodations there are not worth it, how about the hostel? Only 25/night including breakfast. Thats what im planning on doing.

Anyways ill see you up there.

Jeff
themooshes1
Chop Wrestler

Postby xwindsurf » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:42 pm

Jeff,
This was only based on my friend's review so maybe your impression will be different. From what he saw, these dorms looked nice but not necessarily for sleeping, based on the stacks of beer in front of them ;) they looked like Party All Night Long. Again, I didn't see it myself.
We'll probably barely miss each other, we're driving back to Chicago right after skiing/riding on Thursday
Have fun out there!
Tom
--------------
773-725-2535
xwindsurf
Resident Windfreak

Postby themooshes1 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:42 pm

Sorry I miss typed. I will be ariving Wednesday night so I will be riding thursday. And as far as I'm concerned I'm on spring break so massive ammounts of beer and little sleep might not be too bad in my opinion.

Hopefully see you Thursday.

Jeff
themooshes1
Chop Wrestler

Postby xwindsurf » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:49 pm

Yeah man, that's the spirit!
Call me when you're on the mountain, the cell is 312-3 double nine - 60 two four
Tom
--------------
773-725-2535
xwindsurf
Resident Windfreak

Postby Northerner » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:00 pm

For ten years I have had a Season pass up there so I'll give my two cents

The cabins are not worth it as they are small. The common area is a often a big party and pretty worn out, not that a big party is a bad thing. My friends stay at the hostel alot during dumps mid week. Breakfast is a small one from what I understand. Yurts are nicer.

I almost always rent a house from a friend up there or stay in Copper harbor. There are also a few small personal cabins for rent in the village of Lac La Bell at the base of the hill. The lodge at Lac la bell also has cabins but those are also small.

Next two-three days look outstanding and I would guess the mountain is in the best shape right now that it has been in years.

Enjoy the hill, it's an amazing place.
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby xwindsurf » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:09 pm

We decided to stay in White House Motel in Mohawk. I know it is 20 minutes or so but it's cheap, comfortable, and excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. Next time I'll get more specific intel from you re. cabins, etc, if you don't mind.
I haven't had a lot of luck with powder this season, and not for lack of trying, so I have high hopes
Tom
--------------
773-725-2535
xwindsurf
Resident Windfreak

Postby grimace » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:58 pm

I agree with Northerner about the hostel and commons. They have tried to keep the cabins cleaner and aren't bad if your only in there to sleep. The yurts are nice, but a lot more $$$. The staff recently got replaced this year and they have been lacking in the cleaning dept. for the commons and hostel areas.

Remember to pack your snow shoes as the hike up the mountain is pretty fun at night with a clear sky.
grimace
Kite Crew in Training

Postby xwindsurf » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:41 pm

While merits of kite-powered icebreakers are discussed in the context of starting the season, :D I would like to report on our trip to Mt. Bohemia.
One word: incredible. Don't bother going there, unless there's solid chance of a decent snowfall. But if you hit it right, it's MAGIC. I don't mean Midwestern magic, I'm talking the big league, like Grand Targhee, Moonlight Basin (backside of Big Sky, MT), Steamboat Springs, Silverton.
To be fair, if you don't like tree skiing/riding, you may be less impressed because 90% of the terrain there, and 666% of the fun is going into the trees, most of them nicely spaced but some, especially in the Outer Limits area, a little tight.
The terrain is quite varied for such a small place - sudden drops, little gulches, an occasional running creek under snow, fantastic pillows over bumps. And with so few people chopping the snow, it lasts.
Those who complain about small vertical drop, and short runs, should try to do several of them, one by one, without ever stopping. I was lucky to hook up with a really nice local skier, a speed demon in the trees, and I have to say I had more leg burn than on recent runs in the Alps, which were 10 times the size.
Nice people run the place, Widowmaker Black Ale at the bar is quite decent, and while I heard some complaints about the on-the-mountain lodging, the motel in town (White House in Mohawk, 20 minutes away) is run by really sweet people, and a double room is $56, tax included, year round. Clean, good size rooms, and a good restaurant across the street serves food for time-capsule prices (a $10 steak, anyone?).
In the afternoon of day 2, we went to Lake Medora, just a few miles from the hill, for a nice snowkiting session, I think 7 guys altogether. Despite wind-packed snow, it was fun riding, mostly on 12-13s.
Plan on 8 hrs to/from Chicago, heavy snow effects / pit stops are extra.
$99 season passes are on the first Saturday of December only. I'm marking my calendar in thick, red letters!
Thanks, Keith, for safe driving, and generally being a great companion!
Tom
--------------
773-725-2535
xwindsurf
Resident Windfreak

Postby kitekid21 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:03 am

Thanks xwindsurf! It was great! This summary is amazingly accurate. And I do recommend the Widowmaker Black Ale especially. Hope to see you and some of the other guys out on the water sometime soon!
I'm the guy in the obnoxious board shorts, always. Twitter: @chi_surfer
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Return to Where to Ride Today