Little Sable Point 8/25

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Little Sable Point 8/25

Postby DanShielding » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:07 pm

I've got my eye on LSP for Sunday.
http://www.sailflow.com/spot/1774#forecast

If forecast remains promising, I'll either convince my wife to join me, or I'll try hitching a ride and contributing gas money with one of you nice gents. Good chance to get to know some local riders. Thinking of heading to Grand Haven Saturday evening, driving up to Little Sable Point Sunday morn. Kitesurfing from noon on. And heading back Sunday evening. Anyone else thinking the same thing?

What else am I gonna do, wait for the wind to come to me???
-Shielding
Black and white Crazyfly Sculp 13M
Best way to reach me: email
Freedom is peacefully living as you wish... and I wish to kitesurf.
DanShielding
Board Slinger

Re: Little Sable Point 8/25

Postby DanShielding » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:53 pm

Just booked a room at Baymont Inn & Suites Muskegon Saturday night. Nice place. Pretty good deal. Indoor pool should convince family to join me...

So I've got my hotel, got my ride, now I just need some kitesurfers to join me!

Sunday LSP weather still looks great.
-Shielding
DanShielding
Board Slinger

Postby DanShielding » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:56 pm

Sunday's forecast losing strength... If a southerly + thermals = strong wind in Sheboygan and LSP, then why isn't Sunday blowin' like stink? Southerly too weak? Air temp not warm enough? Water not cool enough? Forecast not accurate? I need a lesson in kitesurfing meteorology...

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/lake ... oint_sable
http://www.sailflow.com/spot/1774#forecast
-Shielding
DanShielding
Board Slinger

Postby adseguy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:41 pm

The guys that frequent that area should comment on this. I don't know it well enough and haven't looked at water temps lately. That area works with thermals very well and forecasts do NOT account for thermals, so you still may be ok. Hopefully a comment will come in. Forecasts are only good for a few days as well, you should never book things until a day or two ahead UNLESS you see a front moving, then you are much more likely to catch something. That's my 2 cents
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby Northerner » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:04 am

First let me say I really don’t think thermals are what gives all spots their bump. I like to think more along the lines of nooks and crannies instead. The mass of the lake is north south with little features along its shores. Finding the right feature gives you more wind. LSP and Shebogyan both produce wind as they do two things; one is narrowing the wind flowing through the lake. The second is form a bend where the wind as wraps around these points. LSP dunes of course must account for something.

Yes Sheboygan needs sun to really pop, but what it truly needs is off shore wind with a southerly flow. The off shoreish wind meeting the lake follows the NE running SW shore line just south of Sheboygan and bends back giving the wind it its push as it fills in the backside of the bump. It’s a band of wind 1-4 miles wide depending on the day. Sometimes that band is right on shore other days it’s a few hundred yards off. The forecast that gets me excited and clapping like a seal is SW 10-15 or SW 5-10 turning south 10-15 if its sunny that equals world class stuff. Straight south will also work. A SE will not pull around the pt and does little, sunny or not. Also worth noting if one goes to the sand dunes just south of the Sheboygan bump on a south or southwest wind day, the wind will be very light while Sheboygan itself is 20 plus.

This year we have also been able to find a bump for N to NNE winds. The spot is about 7-8 miles south of Sheboygan on south side of the shoreline bump and has given us I say an extra 15 sessions this season. The wind meter in Sheboygan will be showing 8-16 and we are riding 18-26 in smooth water as we are at the right spot on a nook and crannie.

I think if it was just thermal style sea breeze winds then places that really heat up like big cities with the heat island effect and or the large areas of sand dunes like Sleeping beer and White fish dunes in Door county would fire more. Others with more knowledge on the MI side should speak to this.

As Adrian mentioned, forecasts never take in to account local effects and kiting is much more that watching the colors on ikitesurf and wind alert.
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby FullThrottle49 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:33 am

How is the forecast looking for sheboygan sunday? I'm seeing SSW at 20 and hot. THinking of heading up from Lake Geneva. Thanks for all the info!
FullThrottle49
Board Monkey

Postby kitekid21 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:57 am

What it sounds like to me is that you'd be fine "planning" on going up there because there should be some place where the wind is firing. From Lake Geneva it's not as bad if you get skunked as it is for some of us from the city. A bad day kiting and sitting on the beach isn't THAT bad after all. Hopefully the guys up north will chime in for you as Sunday approaches. But reach out to them too!
I'm the guy in the obnoxious board shorts, always. Twitter: @chi_surfer
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Postby West » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:48 am

nice synopsis on the southerly thermals there Sheriff, very thorough and comprehensible....I would emphasize the affect that the dunes have on the Michigan points (lsp, bsp, betsie)...we are talking about sand dunes that are hundreds of feet high and are exposed (no trees, just sand) in many areas, this can have an exponential effect on the thermaling activity, because of the heat generated on a sunny day and the compression effect that the height of the dunes has on the wind.....

it is never just "a cut and dried" thing, as a simple "skunking" will prove.....however, with many years of experience the kiters have taken their knowledge to a new level of understanding, and it has allowed us to forcast the thermals with a high degree of accuracy.....it has basically allowed for twice the amount of kitable days on the BIG LAKE!!!!! That is quite profound, indeed....keep up the "seagull" watching buddy...

Tim used to talk all the time about the Montrose thermal on a NNE, and yes due from the heat of the city....Muskegon is renown for the NW thermal following a frontal passing and "bluebird" skies....Scotty talks about the MC thermal as well on a North....simply put, we view the thermals as adding onto an existing push, be it southerly or northerly, due to nooks, crannies, dunes and heat....

judging by the 90's and the sunny south flow forcast for Sunday and Monday....it will be ON once again.....although there may be more kite spots that receive an added bump, those mentioned before are always the best destinations for windier locations..... :wink:

btw Keith did you get any kiting in on the last round?
West
Wind Whore

Postby DanShielding » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:55 am

Thank you for the helpful weather tips. Eventually once I get more experience and more kites in my quiver, I'll be able to kite in a larger variety of conditions. LSP and Sheboygan are looking better later in the day. I'll keep watching and will apply what I've learned.

Thanks!
-Shielding
DanShielding
Board Slinger

Postby Eric A. » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:57 am

I love these kind of posts.
LSP has been magical from the first day we found it which was over 15 years ago. It's so good up there so often one of my best friends bought a house up there as well as another one of my old windsurfing buddies. 2guys invested heavy in that place due to the reliable conditions this place delivers.

I love the clapping like a seal analogy....great stuff...that's how I get too.
So last week.....south flow...10-15 forecast means good big kite days 12m.
South flow with 10-20 means mid size kites 9m
South flow with 15-25 means hammering 6m

The trick is to watch the direction. A tad bit onshore SW will produce the smoothest most reliable winds the point will ever see. If it is a straight south it will be good but a tad gusty on the inside. If it S SE it will still be windy but very gusty on the inside and shifty crazy winds.

The most ideal is a S,SW. This is what we had on Tuesday at LSP....s,SW. It was the smoothest most perfect wind that day. The following day was much stronger, but more s, SE and made riding much more difficult. Riders were doing to kite switch all day trying to get dialed into the gusty s,Se.

Dan I would pull the trigger and don't look back. Make the drive and see for yourself the magic of the point. It's not only the windiest stretch on the coast, but also one of the most beautiful as well.

Go for it my man......looks like Sunday will be good. South 10-20 going sw 15-25 at night.....nice setup for some good all day and evening action. Monday thru Thursday looks like any day could be a great day ....so there ya have it.

Yes it will be windy enough to have a great trip! I bet you'll be back soon.
Have fun and enjoy! Tell us all about it.

Oh and the wind usually comes up around 11am or after noon so you can get work done or sleep in and not miss a session.it goes till dark usually.....or until your arms fall off.
Eric A.
Kite Crew in Training

Postby kitekid21 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:21 pm

West, I did in fact get out. I managed to find someone to carpool with me. It was a 45 miles or so South of Sheboygan, but pretty flat waters kiting next to some bluffs. The problem, as it always seems to be on the Lake Michigan, is the gustiness. Damn winds will rip you forward and you lose upwind progress fast unless your back foot is planted hard, but then you get out past the wind shadow from piers etc... and the wind is clean (mostly). Sheboygan, as I've been told is much the same. Kites falling out of the sky until you get 200m or so out there and then it rips. I just want more consistent wind and flat water so I can start doing more unhooked stuff besides surface passes. With gusty winds, doing predictable tricks is, well, unpredictable.
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Postby BishopTek » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:04 pm

All this info is appreciated, especially the breakdown for what it means at LSP! It sounds like I'll be overpowered on my 9m (my 9m days are most people's 11). Are the thermals less strong at Muskegon?

Dan, I'm also considering heading up to LSP Sat night for some Sunday riding. I'll be camping at whatever campground/forest has spots open. Maybe I'll see you out there. If it's too windy for me later in the day, I'll start heading back to Chicago and catch spots along the way (Saugatuck, South Haven?).

Keith, you sure you can't steal yourself away from work to come up there?

-Frank
BishopTek
Board Slinger

Postby kitekid21 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:01 pm

Quite unfortunately, I can't miss work. I work at homeless shelters. I get about 40 hours of work in within 2.5 days, so that I can kite the rest of the week! 2 days of breaking constantly breaking up fistfights, knifefights, and confiscating narcotics... all so that I can kite! Pity that it's going to get in the way this time. I'm looking forward to Monday at least! Hope it holds through.

It's gonna be good up there. Hell, it always is. Have fun!
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Postby IVO » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:44 pm

BishopTek wrote:
I'm also considering heading up to LSP Sat night for some Sunday riding. I'll be camping at whatever campground/forest has spots open. Maybe I'll see you out there. If it's too windy for me later in the day, I'll start heading back to Chicago and catch spots along the way (Saugatuck, South Haven?).

-Frank

I would say leave tmr morning,score some family time with wife,enjoy Michigan and than kite on Sunday :D ..Its really nice up there,not just kiting..Im gonna see Depeche Mode tmr and either leave after concert or early Sunday morning.Few are heading already to LSP tmr.

Are the thermals less strong at Muskegon?

Muskegon doesnt have same affect as LSP,thermal is created higher in coast,I would even say it starts to kick in few miles before LSP,when do we go for downwinder,usually we start underpowered and The Point is already blowing in same time,but few miles and bammmm!So what you see on forecast is what you get for Muskegon on S.,but NW is different kinda story :wink:

I really have my fingers crossed to catch South Haven on SW Monday
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby DanShielding » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:36 pm

Wife opted out. Cancelled hotel reservation, but still planning to take the car and head to LSP Saturday afternoon to Kite on Sunday. Send me an email if you'd like to carpool or meetup. See you on the Michigan side!
-Shielding
DanShielding
Board Slinger

Postby kitekid21 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:04 am

Take that hotel money and spend it on a good local brew way up there. :D
kitekid21
Resident Windfreak

Postby Northerner » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:23 am

Sheboygan will have wind today and even a chance for world class stuff. My guess is 10-14 meter wind with it starting around 11 and lasting untill 5ish. Judging by the speed and direction it will be should be smooth and on the inside. Water has warmed a bit but a 3-2 or really good shorty is needed.

Good luck to everyone today
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby Rorke » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:46 am

Don't forget to look at the wave forecast.

There is a big difference between...
Wind 10-20 kts / Waves 3-5ft
and
Wind 10-20 kts / Waves 4-6ft

I am already stretching and hydrating for tomorrow.
Not sure where to go. :wink:

Let's be smart with site selection, launches, and landings. Every beach is going to be jammed.

Dominate.
IKO Certified Instructor
USCG Master 100T
USCG Approved Instructor/Examiner
Red Cross - First Aid / CPR Instructor

http://www.lakeeffectkite.com
Rorke
Zen Levitator

Postby Northerner » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:57 am

Rorke great foresight, pre-kiting stretching is essential to be properly limbered up. I also find if I kite without stretching my Chakra is out of alignment on the water.

Here's what guarantees me a great session,

http://youtu.be/UFPJ9tft01g
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:11 am

gonna crank up at LSP for certain....make sure if you are new to that beach to be certain to stay well upwind of any beach goers at the lighthouse and DO NOT walk your kite back upwind thru the beach crowd! Like Rorke said it will be warm day on the beach on the last Sunday in August, so it will be crowded...

Will probably run up further North myself and "fetch" myself a few with the Shadow, will send you some sigs Sheriff....... 8)
West
Wind Whore

Next

Return to Where to Ride Today