South Haven 7/6

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

South Haven 7/6

Postby caseywindmill » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:29 am

Alittle far out at this point, but south haven and
most of michigan is looking EPIC for sun!
caseywindmill
Pump Master

Re: South Haven 7/6

Postby West » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:22 pm

Casey, please read the post on the open forum about Michigan launches...I know how stoked you are about kiting over in South Haven, sounds like you have been getting some good sessions, just make certain to follow the basic guidelines on kiting there, and realize that North Beach will be beyond crowded this weekend....it is very likely that it will not be possible to kite near the jetty after noon, once the beach fills up..

In years past on a windy 4th wknd we have headed up to lsp, where it is possible to get enough room to launch and land kites safely away from the beach crowd. Ivo will be up there with others showing up.

If you choose to go to South Haven, please use discretion if you decide to kite, and remember we are visitors in Michigan, respect their launches, and safety first!! 8)
West
Wind Whore

Postby Misfit » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:49 pm

West,

Thanks for the heads up. I was planning on hitting it on Sunday but may hold off due to crowds. Wonder if hitting it later in the day/ early evening would make sense.

Hope to see you on the water soon.
Cory
Forum Nerd. I like to talk a lot but don't get out much.
Misfit
Wind Whore

Postby Eric A. » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:45 pm

Sunday will be windy in the haven. Yes.
Best to try a different spot in my opinion. It's July 4th weekend peak season for beachgoers not kiters as much.
South wind is slightly offshore and the beach will be crowded with people. Gusty and sketchy.
Adhere to the rules if you choose to go out and ride. Boats will be moored everywhere if the waves are small.
There will be kiters there trying to make a go of it that's certain, but I fear that there's going to be a ton of people out Sunday littering the beach with towels and sunscreen .....windy or not.
It was like a rock concert last night.....easy 1,000 people or more....just crazy. Parking and just getting around town will generally suck. Don't be in a hurry and watch out for the cops.

Have fun everybody but please play it cool.

An evening session after dinner might be a great option IF it's still windy. Typically South/Southwest winds die after 12-2pm around here....if it's a real front it may go longer, but usually weaken as the day progresses. I hope I'm wrong I get off work at 7pm and I want to RIDE somewhere.
Eric A.
Kite Crew in Training

Postby caseywindmill » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:13 pm

West,

Good point. B/c last week I saw people kiting dangerously
Close to kids. Pissed me off b/c he was a local(should no better) and could
Compromise are access. What I have noticed
If there's a good group of kiters by jetty beach goers
will stay north. Even cops on four wheelers don't
wana compromise are lines. This is a first! Yes it shall be packed. But
If you make it early it should be great. A SW always rips early
here and more side shore than off like Mc or st
Joe early. Use your best judgement! I feel experienced
Kiters will have a great 4-5 hours of riding if the forecast holds! I love Da haven
If crunched for time I will visit wolf
caseywindmill
Pump Master

Postby FSP » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:53 pm

Sout haven it is ladies. Go huge but not too huge?

Casey is the most stoked kiter ever...feel the love
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby caseywindmill » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:40 pm

Nice. Fsp. Forecast downgraded a bit. But she should fire!
See you there!
caseywindmill
Pump Master

Postby V » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:55 pm

Man I hope you are are gettin it today. What a day!!! I'm swingin a hammer for ya
V
Unstrapped!

Postby Kevin » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:37 am

Did anyone try South Haven? Looks like it didn't pick up until real late. A few of us caught it great at Wolf yesterday evening
Kevin
Resident Windfreak

Postby adseguy » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:53 am

I was at St. Joe around noon. Apparently some wind in the morning, but then the clouds came in and shut everything off. It's rare to see a forecast from 15-20 go to 1 knot and hold that for hours. I put up a huge kite, 54 M lines and got on the foil board. I was going in 3-5 knots, but it shutdown completely after that. The sun started to burn the clouds away around 3 or 4 and it was on! Great 12M conditions and flat next to the pier. Fun day pretty much by myself.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby WaWaZat » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:20 pm

Da Have went off 'till 'bout noon. 9/11s on the water but short lived and ended up with an 11 & 13 rigged an' waiting on the waaay less crowded than expected beach. Got a little later in the afternoon/eve on big kites. Was really pounding after dinner at Clementines as I was pulling out... was tempted for a moonlight sesh. :)
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby Eric A. » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:57 pm

Yep...typical S/SW in the haven ...... good until noon then good for golfing. Unless its a real front with some juice SW is always strong in the am....then fades quickly around noon. Sunday was a textbook example of the SW fizzle. It's been like that for ages.

The thing is on almost every SW forecast it will blow really nice and steady in the early morning. As the sun rises it draws wind onto shore. It almost rushes into shore .....then as the land heats it kills the pull around noon....sometimes a bit earlier or later.....this is what I have observed living on the lake in the summer in south haven.

Bet $100 people at the point were on 7s for multiple days. Got to make the drive to get the goods on a south flow.

Still had to be a killer,day in the haven wind or not. Be thankful you didn't have to work.

Sunday night was legit 25-30 starting around 10pm..........she just showed up late to her own party.
Eric A.
Kite Crew in Training

Postby WaWaZat » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:06 pm

Yeah Eric... I was seriously regretting not having any glow sticks with me and I was drooling when I looked at the overnight history this morn, wondering why we couldn't have had that during the day! When I 1st started coming to Haven a few years ago in the Summer, it seemed like we got it a lot more there and when it happened, it went all day! I know many of those were NW Summer blows but we had our share of good long SH SW days... even weekend 2fers in 95 degree sun! What was different then??
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby adseguy » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:11 pm

Good way to Sum it up Eric. You could tell it wasn't a front by the forecast being up and down through the day, but I didn't think it would literally die out to zero or 1 knot. That was insane :shock: . I stayed until about 9 o'clock kiting. Didn't get home until 11:30. Crazy fun and great views as always. One day I'll make the trip up the mecca of Michigan up there. I'll bring a tent though as the BRO crew does.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby WaWaZat » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:27 pm

adseguy wrote:I stayed until about 9 o'clock kiting. Didn't get home until 11:30. Crazy fun and great views as always. One day I'll make the trip up the mecca of Michigan up there. I'll bring a tent though as the BRO crew does.

I was right behind you.... did you sit in the traffic? I jumped on 12 for a detour around it. I love the Waze app!
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby adseguy » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:20 pm

WaWaZat wrote:
adseguy wrote:I stayed until about 9 o'clock kiting. Didn't get home until 11:30. Crazy fun and great views as always. One day I'll make the trip up the mecca of Michigan up there. I'll bring a tent though as the BRO crew does.

I was right behind you.... did you sit in the traffic? I jumped on 12 for a detour around it. I love the Waze app!

I didn't. Google Navigation warned me about it and gave me a detour. Made it home in normal time.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby WaWaZat » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:39 pm

adseguy wrote:Google Navigation warned me about it and gave me a detour. Made it home in normal time.

Makes sense... google bought Waze. It's only been fairly recently that keeping real-time tabs on traffic works well.
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:38 am

...lit it up for a couple of days up North, left the crowded beaches alone when it was sunny and crowded, and kited in the remote locations till the crowds thinned then we started running the downwinders.... :wink:

had the de-power strap pulled in tight on the end of the dwndrs on my 9m, and had that 134 just a screamin'. Hung out with the Godfather and Shopping Cart, Red Legs and Rorke....kited till the sun went down, or the cows went to pasture; whichever came first, and still left a few sessions on the table....PURE MICHIGAN!!!!

...btw the same complaints that I was addressing about the South Haven launch were being expressed about some of the Northern launches, and they are quite concerned with safety and continued kiter access. Seems as though a lot of newer kiters are utilizing the forums and finding new locations that they have never kited, and showing up and kiting without recognizing the local guidelines....evidently the launches that should be on the experienced level are being tackled by novices and beginners in a zealous nature.....

once again, please recognize and accept your responsibility as a kiter to know your limits, to assess the crowded beach situation, and to kite safely. Preserve our continued access and respect the locals. this is going to become a pressing situation at some beaches, acknowledge it and be proactive....thanks!!! :D
West
Wind Whore

Postby FSP » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:31 pm

oooooweeee that 4th driving does smells like a lingering stink bomb ... damnz...just had glorius morning on da 10 in some carribbean sweet water out da back door followed by yesterday and sunday am. u park urself on da good lake and it will come to you one way or the other. now lets give some love for the afternoon thermals due in any day now
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby jensmadwind » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:36 am

Anybody who wants to miss out on the best the lake has to offer then by all means avoid driving. It just means less crowd more fun for the ones that do drive.
10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Next

Return to Where to Ride Today