South Haven 7/6

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Re: South Haven 7/6

Postby mrgrey » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:01 am

I'm with ya there Jens! What's a couple hours in a car to get the perfect setup? Or to chase the wind when it's not nearby? Or better yet, to get a chance to hoot and holler down the line with a half dozen or more of good friends carvin up the faces of waves and landing on a desolated beach with a cooler full of chilly ones after you seemingly can't throw another turn or roll... For some it's the adventure and the soul and for others it's about catching what's given to ya and makin the best of it. Different strokes for different folks. Rule #1 As long as you're having fun.
mrgrey
Resident Windfreak

Postby FSP » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:25 pm

Long drives are not so appealing right here when so many mornings and afternoons it comes locally in very beautiful spots (weko against the dunes, baldy, long beach dowries, joe and right out the back door). If ur here and ready to go.. Summer has a lot of riding to be had with very little driving which is so killer. In fact if it were a long drive u couldn't go for it! Sweet and very local ..just sayin
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby WaveAvenger » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:05 pm

FSP wrote:Long drives are not so appealing right here when so many mornings and afternoons it comes locally in very beautiful spots (weko against the dunes, baldy, long beach dowries, joe and right out the back door). If ur here and ready to go.. Summer has a lot of riding to be had with very little driving which is so killer. In fact if it were a long drive u couldn't go for it! Sweet and very local ..just sayin

FTFY

Protracted drives are not overtly supplicatory for me. Nary a fortnight shall pass whence I am graciously betided to a vast cornucopia of mornings and afternoons in which to ride roughshod over, in some very cherubic locales.
Local sites in which i have ridden before include but are not limited to; Weko Beach, Mt Baldy, Long Beach, St Joe, and Michigan City.
If you are within earshot of the beach, absent preponderance engagements, then summertime has ample riding to be had without the superfluous minutia of commuting. One should be able to commiserate my perspective on how that is quite "killer".
Indeed, if a requisite to a trolloping session was an arduous journey, I would acquiesce my absence most wholeheartedly! I happen to just be espousing, that I find proximate kitesurfing, sweet.
WaveAvenger
Kiter Noob

Postby FSP » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:41 pm

The avenger has spoken with elegance and in truth.

The kitesurfing places we have known do not belong only to the world of space on which we map them for our convenience. They were only a thin slice, held between contiguous impressions that composed our life at that time; the memory of a particular locale such as in the far north is but a regret for a particular moment; until you have experienced hours of hot sticky ass to the seats among friends. Such locales, roads, avenues are as fugitive, alas, as the years.
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby jensmadwind » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:56 am

frame it as eloquently or with as many screen names as you like , but it still just being a Homer. I know many around the lake and there is nothing wrong with being a homer just don't flame up some one elses story cause it didn't happen at your beach.

make the drive sound as bad as you want but reality is nothing like your portrayal of "stinky" car rides.

Its great when kiteboarding is convenient but the best conditions are rarely convenient, at least around here.
10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Postby FSP » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:34 am

Oh please...My sessions have been ribbed before becasue too onshore or you cant surf it, sup it etc and you have a laugh and suck it up..and why so hurt for West who I believe posted it?? Is he as hurt as you?? So now silly as this is and on to a point: why is self-promoting a drive so much better than not??? Its a public forum!! if you write something on here then you just might get your "homer" style opposition?? that can happen! Its not so cruel..and of course not your style but my response!! Secondary point: I think its good to know that these parts have local summer winds on insanely beautiful beaches for those who cant or like me, not interested in a long sticky drive :D Honestly, its been 17 years I have lived here and still finding different breaks, wind patterns and beauty. I want to learn all the details and make them work even better which leaves me no interest in heading away. Im sure you might change your perspective if knew.
Last edited by FSP on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby adseguy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:36 am

I don't think Scotty was bringing any negativity in his points Jens ***EDIT - I re-read that.....yeah maybe he did a little***, he was just stating them. You however are putting his points down and with little merit.

I totally see both sides. On most days I would rather just grab a quick session in "my" back yard than not grab one at all. I'm busy and can't justify driving hours one-way to kite better conditions. Extend your idea a little further: Why don't you drive to SPI or Hatteras, people have done that for an extended weekend. Won't that be even BETTER conditions? You see my point...time. Here's something that isn't mentioned, in your local spot you know how to work it right. My on-shore chop conditions at Montrose suck, but I know where the flat spots are near the pier and where waves build just on the corner. I also use the kickers now to do flat 360*s. It's not exactly making lemonade out of lemons as I think that would be saying it's worse than it actually is, but you get my point.

It's always fun to take a trip up the different coasts and try new spots and experience the different views, but there's no reason not to also love your back yard. Just yesterday I went kiting with my foil. It was a surprise session and got to practice my jibes, there's no way I could/would drive anywhere to risk that. Sometimes a storm front rolls in and the 2 hours before the storm can produce 20-25knts out of the SE, strong, smooth, and FLAT water behind the pier. How can you not like that? Like I said Jens I respect your comment on it, but broaden your mind a bit and like Mr Grey said "Different strokes for different folks." It'll be that much more special when I can free up an entire weekend to dedicate to upper Michigan. Heck this thread makes me want to make a commitment for this year, but that doesn't mean I'll start doing it often because I have too much fun with too many sessions at my home beaches. Simple as that. Time/benefit ratio is different for people so just understand/respect that and don't think it's about finding only the best spots.

Yeah, totally off topic, but hey it's just a where to ride blab :lol:
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby West » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:25 pm

The Chicago kitesurfing forum has unceremoniously and unfortunately "jumped the shark" in my view...

To watch a thread about kiting South Haven, turn into that piece of crap is beyond embarassing...Casey must be thinking "what a bunch of damn idiots", and you know what; he would be absoulutely correct in his assessment!! :oops:

...what I have always seen as a tight kiting community has slowly but meticulously degraded into something you can find on any other forum at any given time: a mish-mosh of bullshit where stoke has been replaced with sarcasm, genuine support and concern with scathing remarks and rambling rants, where non-accountability is the norm....congrats Gents

this may be entertainment to some but to me it is utterly disgusting and reprehensible. I apologize to Casey for leading this thread astray by bringing up my safety concerns for the 4th of July weekend at South Haven...

kite with a buddy, use good judgment and godspeed fellow kiters.....OVER and OUT, West
West
Wind Whore

Postby adseguy » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:23 pm

I'm genuinely confused, how can any of this be taken so harshly? " utterly disgusting and reprehensible" - If this isn't an exaggeration I would examine yourself a bit more closely.

It's an opinion and people are entitled to them and somehow everything has gone nuclear for you with no discussion.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby Kevin » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:53 pm

We need wind.

And preferably within short driving distance haha
Kevin
Resident Windfreak

Postby FSP » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:07 pm

AAAAnd the genius himself has spoken..soooo, when you write four pages about heel side toe in the where to ride section, after the sesh, not inviting anyone such as Casey or letting him know of these sweet secret spots in code,...Is that utterly disgusting and reprehensible?? or just a brilliant, good read for everyone...again puhleaseee!!!!

and how in the hell would having fun on such a post be jeopardizing safety????? The sport is also about having fun. If its that serious for those who see it that way then how bout facebook?

No more "homer" fun I guess...just brilliant post material from here out...cant wait!! Maybe Kim Jong II can moderate?
FSP
Zen Levitator

Previous

Return to Where to Ride Today