Wolf Lake

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Wolf Lake

Postby skysurfr » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:20 pm

for our new riders :

Please be very careful and considerate if you go to Wolf Lake. It's the original windsurfing spot in Chicago.

When I go out, I usually try to head upwind of the island and totally avoid terrorizing the windsurfers. It's pretty frightening to say the least, if you're not a kiteboarder and have a kite zooming over your head while you're out on a windsurfer.

There are power lines, cement in the water, re-bar (metal bars), slag, rocks, weeds, shallow spots, wind shadows, houses, chicken wire fences, and docks in the water. All of these are just waiting to eat your kite. did I mention the fish hook and glass? I forgot the duck shit on the beach.

The Wolf has swallowed many kites, boards, and fins over the years.

You've been warned.

Mike
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby adseguy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:32 pm

Mike you speak the truth. Wolf is not good for beginners not only for these reasons alone, but more so the gusts and lulls. The launch is extremely sketchy and the lulls can drop your kite into the power zone then re-launch hard in the coming gust throwing you wherever it wants :evil:

I'm sure you're bringing this up because Brian and I go so much, but we really do like it. Relatively flat water with a few slicks thrown here and there and it's the closest thing to Chicago that works on anything from W SW to straight S. It's also very good on these days when thermal block happens. I'm starting to develop a good re-pore with the windsurfers that do ride. Giving them a hand, saying hello, talking about the wind etc. Just be friendly :)
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby sl007 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:23 pm

Indeed, the Wolf Lake is the primary windsurfing spot and it has been for many years. Mike remembers the old days... :).

The place is small. The kitesurfers should show some respect to the windsurfers.

Adrien, please don't do the showoff jumps over the windsurfers heads anymore. Seems that you know the kitesurfing safety rules, according to your posts on
this forum. We have to respect each other on the water and as well on the shore.

If you have any questions, talk to Mike, since he is our "unofficial" Park Ranger.

Ramunas
Last edited by sl007 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
sl007
Kite Crew in Training

wolf thursday

Postby slavman » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:11 pm

I got there at 5p. Great 2hr session. No kites, just few windsurfers (all my countrymen Polish). Almost was ready to windsurf too, but decided to stick with a kite. Used 9m + surfboard. First hour less gusty. Finished the session with a beautiful sunset sailing with Jackie from Windward Sports. Next three days should be pumping. See everyone on water.
slavman
Kite Crew in Training

Postby skysurfr » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:23 pm

My comments were directed to everyone but not toward anyone in particular. However, If the harness fits... wear it!

:wink:
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby 4w7s » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:53 pm

Mike...you forgot to mention

the flesh eating zombie weeds that lurk below waiting to pull you under

and don't tear out your fin boxes on the occasional partially submerged dead hooker "sliders" floating around

otherwise, it sounds like paradise!
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Return to Where to Ride Today