6.5/6.2010

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Postby West » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:33 am

For people unfamiliar with the nuances of Lake Michigan. Educate yourself...don't be NAIVE about the water temps, and the frequency in which they change dramatically!!

Here is one of many sources for Lake temps.... www.coastwatch.msu.edu/

Like I thought....LSP is showing about 52 degrees onshore, and from 43 to 48 offshore. Check out the discrepancies around Sheboygan, Waukegan, Holland.....those can shift overnight, they can turn instantly!! Be aware of the animal you are riding...good to know if you are riding a pony, a horse, a steer or a BULL!!!

For the benefit of those who don't know me...I get a little amped up when the proper respect is not shown for the cold waters around Chicago. This is due to the fact that we had a beginner kiter go out in "cold" waters at Lake Koshkonong several years ago...he was as "stoked" as could be, went out without the proper wetsuit, with no booties or gloves, the wind died and he had to swim in, and unfortunately he drowned. It was determined that he suffered from hypothermia!! That is why I ALWAYS "chime in" on topics about "cold water"!! It can happen to anyone, but is more likely to happen to a beginner who is either naive, ignorant, or defiant!!

His name was Jeff Meissner, and long live his memory.....
www.topix.com/forum/.../kitesurfing/TCKVOOFCBLICIGEQC
if interested in the scenario.

God Bless
West
Wind Whore

Postby Misfit » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:22 am

I NEVER kite without a wetsuit on Lake Michigan, rarely wear a 3/2 and never wear a shorty. There are many kiters who do those things, that is there choice. I suit up for the SWIM IN, not the ride out!!!

Always dress for the rescue, not the ride

The big lake is a freshwater ocean with a personality all of her own, she'll get ya if you're not prepared.

Cory
Forum Nerd. I like to talk a lot but don't get out much.
Misfit
Wind Whore

Postby chillin » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:08 am

Cool, thanks for all the advice, cold is all relative so don't give dutch too hard of a time. I'm a fairly experienced scuba diver and know that people vary WIDELY in how their body deals with cold. I get cold less easy than most day to day but while scuba diving I freeze while people are wearing shorty's. Figured it I tried the shorty I was going to go for a little swim in it before bothering to set up the kite to see if it was enough or not.

Cory what do you normally wear, a 4/3?

Any good place to buy a wetsuit locally? I'm not against getting one just kind of figured it wasn't going to happen by tomorrow :-(

Thanks,
Stephen

knew it could be cold water did not realize how much it changes day to day...makes sense when thought through but pretty wild all the same
chillin
Wind Chaser

Postby jojy » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:23 am

Hi Stephen,
This is what I did last year : I went to "Windward Sports Windsurfing" (on Clark and School, Chicago), tried on some suits, found what I liked and order it for almost half price on eBay (brand new).
I bought 4/3 suit and I find it perfect for the Chicago area. I've been in Waukegan, Chicago and Miller beach with it, and I've never got cold.
By the time the water are freezing cold, you go to CL or just go on snowkiting :)
Avi - 312-451-5841
Peter Lynn Twister II ---> 4.1m
HQ Montana 3 ----> 7.0m
Flexifoil buggy
http://www.aandeitprofessionals.com
jojy
Resident Windfreak

Postby chillin » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:49 pm

Alright sorry to get this thread off topic(although it is still technically about trying to ride tomorrow :lol: ) I went up to windward and kind of made an impulse buy...they never had exactly what I was looking for in my size but they had a 2mm farmer john that fit great so I got it, now I sit here wondering if I should keep it or not. Any experience with farmer john's? In theory you have kind of a 4/2 but without having worn one I wonder how much water gets flushed through the bottom of the jacket portion and if in reality this is any warmer than a straight 2mm?

Thanks again for any advice I promise to hijack threads in the future!
Stephen
chillin
Wind Chaser

Postby Rorke » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:14 pm

jojy wrote:This is what I did last year : I went to "Windward Sports Windsurfing" (on Clark and School, Chicago), tried on some suits, found what I liked and order it for almost half price on eBay (brand new).

No wonder you get skunked left and right.
Rorke
Zen Levitator

Postby schuss8899 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:23 pm

Take the farmer john back asap, that is not going to help anything. I did not even know they still made that style. Even with a top its a worthless setup. And its less than worthless going out in just the john, man, you could have bought a speedo and had the same protection.
schuss8899
Resident Windfreak

Postby kitenick » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:24 pm

I bought a wetsuit, actuall 2, from Bob at the kiterider. He is in the madison area and with some luck you can catch him and posibly try some on if you are up for a road trip. Bob's contact info: Bob@kiteridersllc.com or call (608) 273-1817.

I am a self proclaimed freezebaby. I will only go out when it is 120F or better. That is air and water tempature combined. Yes I do loose alot of days in the early spring and late fall but I also kow that I will not have that much fun if I go out. Point being my 120F is another kiters 140F or 110F.

Know yourself, know your surroundings and listen to your fore fathers advise, it will comne in handy.

Having said all that I will either meet some locals at south haven tomorrow of go to miller depending on the wind.
kitenick
Adrenaline Junkie

Postby Misfit » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:31 pm

My number 1 suit by far is my 4/3 o'neil psycho 2. Ive got a 3/2, 4/3, and a 6/4. The 6/4 is only good when its super cold and the 3/2 is really more of a travel suit.

I had an old farmer john that I used many years ago with a 3mm top that I honestly didnt like. My suit was older technology so it was stiff and easily flushed. I think 2mm is not going to get you going in much so i'd take it back in favor of a suit made for wind sports (windstop panels) and thicker for the water temp here. If you're talking about temps being relative, i'd agree when it comes to comfort but when it comes down to safety it's important to err on the side of caution. Again, dress for the rescue, not the ride. Oh yea, dont forget to get the right boots and gloves too. Last weekend @ LSP I wore 7mm boots but no gloves. When my hands hit the H20 they went numb quickly.

Anyway, hope it's breezy tomorrow and wish you the very best with your wetsuit search.

Cory
Forum Nerd. I like to talk a lot but don't get out much.
Misfit
Wind Whore

Postby chillin » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:01 pm

Yeah, you guys confirmed what I thought, was standing there wanting something though*kicks self for being impulsive*. Oh well, I'll return it and do some more searching online. This weekend will hopefully at least turn into a nice meet and greet with some of you.

ps, it was a combo with the jacket(I'm not that nuts)
chillin
Wind Chaser

Postby gbleck » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:26 pm

Had a nice long swim in last thursday (thanks again for the pickup henry!) and was quite happy I was in my 5/3 with the 3m booties. I find that more important then the thickness is the quality of the seals. Good double cufs, nice neck origami folds, taped stitches, wind pannels, and no wholes. If you over heat just do something you arn't good at yet and crash nice and hard. By the time you drag back to the board you'll be nice and cold. :)

Not sure about the wind this weekend. May be some light ride wind sat afternoon but it dosn't look like it's going to be stable in direction or strength.
Me = 145lb + 6" + (15M spd3 dlx, 11M x-bow, Kahoona 9.5M, 7.5V2) + Zap skim, home made 133 orange carbon aka Bifrost, home made black 170x50 cabon racing light wind tt, 133 wide tip carbon) + red helmet
gbleck
Master of Kite

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:55 pm

Don't worry I am not offended at all......... I respect every pond I go on to and know about water currents and difference of water temps. Thats at least one thing we have to learn back in Holland
Last edited by Dutchkiteboarder on Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby jojy » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:08 pm

Hey Rorke, care to explain yourself :?: :?:
Avi - 312-451-5841
HQ Montana 3 ----> 7.0m
Flexifoil buggy
jojy
Resident Windfreak

Postby skysurfr » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:48 pm

Phones?
Wetsuits?
Water Temps?

Isn't this a "where to ride on June 5th and 6th " topic?

LoL

....Im really liking my Evo! hahha

:wink:
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby chillin » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:21 pm

LMAO skysurfr well, maybe I can help end the wetsuit part....took the suit back and ordered a proper 4/3 that I think will work well. The first guy at windward was useless, when I went back Curtis was helping me and seem to be reasonably knowledgeable and helpful so as I really do like to buy local they are ordering me the suit and hopefully have it in a week.

And dutch thanks again for the offer.

Now for the original topic, where you all riding tomorrow?
chillin
Wind Chaser

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:34 pm

Think Miller would be good. Gonna wake up early to check the wind. Dont wanna get out and ride for an hour and having no wind at all
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby Stang » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:04 pm

Hey Rorke, care to explain yourself

JOJY - I am not in Rorke's head, but i got a little hunch that he is implying you did a "prick" move to windward sports. There aren't too many small, locally owned shops that cater to, at least some of, our kiter needs. In fact, i can't think of any other "watersport culture" shop in the Chicago area. Yea their prices might be a bit north of the norm, but then again, there really isn't a "norm" for our toys.

just my 2cents...Rorke could probably explain it better
:wink:
Stang
Kite Crew in Training

Postby Stang » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:13 pm

..anyway, pardon my rant...back to the important things in life like kiteing...Has anyone seen the forecast for tomorrow (silly question)?

My plan is to score a sesh at Miller if there is a decent amount of W in the NW. If there is a lot of N in the NW, I am pointing my grill towards Tisco.

Here's to some fun riding tomorrow!

Cheers,
Brian
Stang
Kite Crew in Training

Postby jojy » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:31 pm

Like I've mention before , if doing a market research and buy things for aLOT less money is been a "preek" or cheap or not support, then F#@$!@ it !!! I'm just really sick of ppl who think they know everything, ppl who think they above everyone and especially ppl commenting in a stupid non mature way (kinda like this one), just to start an issue .

You don't have anything smart to say, DON'T say anything !! move on, Not everybody have to think like you :evil: .

With all the respect and with no offence to you Stang :wink:
Avi - 312-451-5841
HQ Montana 3 ----> 7.0m
Flexifoil buggy
jojy
Resident Windfreak

Postby adseguy » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:46 pm

Jebus! Calm down man. Rorke has an opinion and he expressed it (rather poorly). I kind of agree that going to a store to try something then buying elsewhere is a little immoral, but hey that's free market economics for you.

Let's stick to the topic Rorke and jojy. Looks pretty light tomorrow so I'm going to pass. Good luck to anyone who comes out.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

PreviousNext

Return to Where to Ride Today