6/9 WED

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Postby skysurfr » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:28 am

I've always had a good experience at MArquette Park.

Several years ago, I returned to my car at sunset, only to find the parking lot slammed full of cars. The boom boxes were thundering. It was obvious there was drinking, cans being thrown, bottles smashed on the ground etc.

In the two hours before sunset the crowd turned from the nornally friendly beach walkers, family's etc.. into a mob young adults up to no good. AS I packed up, a police car pulled along side and asked if I was leaving, and said "GOOD!" It was obvious that the situation was delicate and not totally in control. The Police could do nothing to "protect" me, nor would I be expecting my own private body guards. I ran back over the dune, and told those remaining that it was time to go. They had the same reaction when they got back to the lot... "Holy Sh++!"

Since then, Ive followed their advice to be heading home around sunset.

Recently I've noticed many more police on quads all over the beach and park. The situation seems much more orderly.

Last night was fine. The boom boom was the thundering bass comming from the organized dance at the Natorium.

I pretty much follow the same rules at lots of beach parks all over the world. Ala Moana on Oahu is ok in the day but totally unsafe at night, Kanaha used to be the same on Maui.....the day is fine for everyone, but the night belongs to the locals.

Lessons learned from layovers... in West Palm Beach florida we stay at a nice hotel with beautiful gardens and pools, but in a run down neighborhood. MLB uses the hotel for Spring training as well. We had a pilot go out for a run and some drugged out crack head sees him and beats the guy almost to death with a bat. career over. A baseball player was fatally shot by a guy totally messed up on drugs or alcohol. When you toss drugs and or alcohol into the mix, common sense if no longer valid.

We live in a nutty world. No disrespect intended toward your neighborhood!

8)
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby Hoosier Daddy » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:40 am

I definately felt no 28 mph gust from 4:00 to 7:30. There were 6 other kiters there that I could see on the water.
Hoosier Daddy
Resident Windfreak

Postby Hoosier Daddy » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:46 am

Thanks for the clarification Skysurfer. I guess at Marquette Park it can get dicey in the evening. I'll have to have you guys all over to the neighborhood portion of the beach. It's paradise!
Hoosier Daddy
Resident Windfreak

Postby WaWaZat » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:08 pm

Hoosier Daddy wrote:and what do you mean by Boom Boom? where there gunshots? That would be a first that I'm aware of on the beach. Remember the police are Gary. They're used to fighting bad crime all day but in areas that are far from Miller.

The Boom Boom of the car audio subs! None of that last night after dark. The ATV squad is unwavering about clearing the lot then... even us kitesurfers! However the officer that was walking us to the door last night was extremely cool and interested in what we were doing. Security doesn't take any BS in the lot. While loading in yesterday, I saw them handing some potential riffraff in a swift fashion.

Wind was great... a little up & down a times, but a stellar day from late afternoon 'till sundown!! Look forward to the next!
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby Rainmann » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:28 pm

Had to work late yesterday and could not get out till around 5. I live about a mile from Porter Beach and the winds were ~15kts by my house. I get to the beach to absolute calm winds; nothing. Maybe the dunes have something to do with it. (?)
Shoulda went to Milller, but glad to hear that you all got some though...

I have lived in Porter for 2 yrs and only scored a couple of good sessions. I'm still working on forecasting those perfect sideon conditions for the southern tip. I typically head to the Michigan side for the most reliable winds; South Haven, Holland, Grand Haven, Muskegon (old reliable) and points north (have not done St. Joe but it is on the list).
-Ray
Rainmann
Pump Master

Postby Hoosier Daddy » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:15 pm

WaWaZat,
Glad to hear Gary's finest are doing a bangup job. They do seem more on top of it this year. I think they got the word from on high to patrol the beach area with vigor. Did you know that the RDA (Regional Development Authority) is spending $28MM over the next 2 years at Marquette Park and Lake Street Beach! I think they're finally getting the idea that if there's going to be any growth or development in Gary it's going to start in Miller Beach.
Jay
Hoosier Daddy
Resident Windfreak

Postby skysurfr » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:22 pm

Fuinny, I was thinking the same thing. What a great sunset view of the city.

Whats wrong with Indiana? Lakefront forests.... and homes selling for millions just up the road in Michigan. I guess most people never get on 12 or 20 and see how nice it is and the potential for the area.

Mike
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby skysurfr » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:59 pm

The Police and Fireman have always been very friendly. In the past, they have stopped to talk with us when they are on the waverunners.

That said, I had a mini run-in with a Gary copper one afternoon. He demanded to inspect my cooler for alcohol. I refused citing unreasonable search and seizure laws. I was being very polite, and he was recpetive to the discussion. After 15 min I allowed him to look in my cooler where he found juice and water.

Why all the fuss? .... I believe in my civil rights. ... He laughed.

It's worth noting that "coolers" are seen the same as a holster... they carry contraban items... liquor and guns. The police have the right to look in your cooler and it's been to the Indiana Supreme Court.

There is a hefty fine for having alcohol in the parks in Chicago and Gary.
Mike

skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby Lunatic » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:39 pm

IVO wrote:
Lunatic wrote:MC was perfect.

now this is getting interesting...how would you describe perfect?What time?What size?

The wind was barely side-on-shore. The water was flat and my skills still suck but I was able you get up a little on a 13m hybrid. Air temp was perfect, water temp was perfect, sandbar was perfect, best day I ever had. I was on the water for a whole 10 seconds but for those 10 seconds or more I was free. (F&F remixed quote) Adrenaline was pumpin', I was breathin' heavy, with a few friends and it was great. I can't wait until I get better.

Mike: You can have Miller; and shut up about MC and MI. :)
Lunatic
Kite Crew in Training

Postby Hoosier Daddy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:31 am

Mike,

The cops can check your cooler?? The lady that owns Wells Street Beach on the far east side of Miller says she was told she COULD NOT check coolers. Maybe cops can and lay people can't...?

As far as what's wrong with Indiana people, I've lived here 10 years and I still don't know? Cory...? What's wrong with Chicagoans too? Miller's a better beach (longer wider cleaner) with friendlier people and those Chicago people will drive twice as far and pay 3 times as much for a "beach" getaway 8 blocks from the beach. Check out my development in Miller at eastedgehomes.com, nice segue eh? It's been a bit slow with the recession but hey just say NO to the recession!

Jay
Hoosier Daddy
Resident Windfreak

Postby skysurfr » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:25 am

I grew up boating from M-City....and devouring Albano's Villa Pizzas! I used to snorkel off Beverly and look at the Salmon in the rocks.

Do those rocks set off a break? I think it was pretty close to the west end of Beverly? Hrm....

Overcomming the Gary stigma, and the frightening drive in through the boarded up K-Marts and old car dealers is a tough sell. Seems everyone wants to be in Michigan.
Mike

skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby Hoosier Daddy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:38 am

I haven't kited Beverly though there are plenty of poeple who have. V and West for 2. Although the approach to Miller isn't stellar; once you get here it's awesome!
Hoosier Daddy
Resident Windfreak

Postby Ben » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:01 am

Sunday and Wed. were my first experiences at Miller and while the drive to the beach isn't stellar and I have never seen cars on bigger rims in a parking lot, I will say the Beach was very nice. Better then some of the ones I have been to in Mi and much less crowded on a beautiful day. Looks like a great development Jay, what are those places going for?
7,9,12m Bandit V, Infinity V2, 135 xenon, 154 door
Ben
Pump Master

Postby Hoosier Daddy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:54 am

2 bedroom condos under 200,000
3 bedroom townhomes under 300,000
3 & 4 bedroom houses from 399,00 to 499,000

Call or p.m. me if you want more info. 312-909-7611 cell

Jay
Hoosier Daddy
Resident Windfreak

Postby seblue » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:12 pm

Glad to hear Gary's finest are doing a bangup job. They do seem more on top of it this year. I think they got the word from on high to patrol the beach area with vigor. Did you know that the RDA (Regional Development Authority) is spending $28MM over the next 2 years at Marquette Park and Lake Street Beach! I think they're finally getting the idea that if there's going to be any growth or development in Gary it's going to start in Miller Beach.
Jay

Does that mean the parking prices will be going up like at Lkae Street $10?

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/show_plot.php?station=bhri3&meas=wdpr&uom=E&time_diff=-5&time_label=CDT

This is the past observations for Portage I could not find one for Gary.
07 SlingShot 15M Link,13M Fuel
6.2 M FelxiFoil Blade, MBS Comp 95 Pro
Sean 630-939-5001
seblue
Resident Windfreak

Postby Hoosier Daddy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:17 am

Not sure about the parking increase...probably will go up a bit. Also the Portage wind meter is in Burns Harbor actually closer to Miller Beach than the Gary airport (the next closest meter). It's inland a bit and not totally reliable. If I had the extra $$ I'd put one on my house with a camera and stream it on line!
Hoosier Daddy
Resident Windfreak

Postby West » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:38 am

The unreliability of the wind meters around Chicago compound the frustration of local kiters, especially new kiters.

Be nice to have a wind meter at Jay's house.......ck out the post under Open Forum for Wind Meters.....
West
Wind Whore

Postby seblue » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:18 pm

Hey maybe you could get a small one so you could have an underground weather station. That would be cool no camera for now but a station would be good
07 SlingShot 15M Link,13M Fuel
6.2 M FelxiFoil Blade, MBS Comp 95 Pro
Sean 630-939-5001
seblue
Resident Windfreak

Previous

Return to Where to Ride Today