Ever ride at Green Lake, WI

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Ever ride at Green Lake, WI

Postby shudawg7 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:32 pm

I'm going to be at Green Lake in Wisconsin over 4th of July weekend. I was wondering if there is a good beach there, or is it even possible to ride that lake? I was up there last summer and I remember it being windy. I didn't see any kiters though so I wonder if there is a good spot.

Any info is greatly appreciated!!

CHEERS!
Shuey
shudawg7
Pump Master

Postby jensmadwind » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:40 am

small inland lakes are always tricky. you will be very lucky if you find a beach that works. I recommend that you be able to self launch, land on the water, and know how to body drag upwind well. Good luck and use your head. Chances are there will be hundreds of people around the water and you will be the only one with a kite, remember you are not only responsible for yourself but all the people around you.
10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Postby Safe_Cracker » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:17 am

From looking at it I see only a couple of possible places to possibly drift launch from but what concerns me is the amount of water crafts the locals own. If it is a nice day chances are there will be a lot of traffic so be careful. If I am scoping a place out I always bring a tiny kite on short lines or a trainer to test the winds before I send up the big one, just a thought...

Polo
I could be wrong, but not usually

:)-~
Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Postby gbleck » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:43 pm

Yea, I kind of hate the big holiday weekends. Unless it's cranking 9M or smaller I just don't bother. To many people and boats.
Me = 145lb + 6" + (15M spd3 dlx, 11M x-bow, Kahoona 9.5M, 7.5V2) + Zap skim, home made 133 orange carbon aka Bifrost, home made black 170x50 cabon racing light wind tt, 133 wide tip carbon) + red helmet
gbleck
Master of Kite

Postby t bagger bob » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:48 pm

My wife`s family has a house on Lake Geneva, so once in a while I kite there. I believe it is similar to Green Lake.

My launch on Lake Geneva is real tight, and I can only do it in a SW wind or an E wind. Very small opening to get away from shore due to trees, piers and moored boats. I always launch with my hand on QR just in case. Because the water is overhead 20 ft from shore I can`t drift launch, so I always need an assisted launch and landing from my wife or kids.

Haven`t had experience with a boat launch, but would like to try.

Lake Geneva is usually super crowded with boats of all kinds, so I only kite in the early AM before the rush and stay in the middle of the lake where there are fewer boats.

I`m sure Green Lake would work, but be smart about when?, where?, and how?

Good luck

tbb
livin for wind
t bagger bob
Kite Crew in Training

Postby schuss8899 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:56 pm

A holiday weekend is no time to kite the inland lakes, go see your dentist for a painful procedure, it will be emminently more pleasurable than dealing with the morons and their toys.
schuss8899
Resident Windfreak

Return to Where to Ride Today