Friday June 25 Waukegan at sundown

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Friday June 25 Waukegan at sundown

Postby gbleck » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:44 pm

Going to hit keegs after work. Hope it stays south and blowing.
Me = 145lb + 6" + (15M spd3 dlx, 11M x-bow, Kahoona 9.5M, 7.5V2) + Zap skim, home made 133 orange carbon aka Bifrost, home made black 170x50 cabon racing light wind tt, 133 wide tip carbon) + red helmet
gbleck
Master of Kite

Postby Pier » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:54 pm

I'll do the same, let's cross our fingers!

See you on the water

Pier
Pier
Master of Kite

Postby slavman » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:17 pm

I may make a trip there too.
Slavi
slavman
Kite Crew in Training

Postby gbleck » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:01 pm

Stuck at work and it's going offshore. I'll go anyway.
Me = 145lb + 6" + (15M spd3 dlx, 11M x-bow, Kahoona 9.5M, 7.5V2) + Zap skim, home made 133 orange carbon aka Bifrost, home made black 170x50 cabon racing light wind tt, 133 wide tip carbon) + red helmet
gbleck
Master of Kite

Postby gbleck » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:24 pm

Frick. Stupid Waukegan now closes the beach at 6pm not sun down. YARG!
gbleck
Master of Kite

Postby Safe_Cracker » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:40 pm

What ya mean I go there in the middle of the night at times, no problems. No guards anymore confirmed by their website they must of just put up signs don't think I remember the 10am-6pm posted anywhere ?

Polo.
I could be wrong, but not usually

:)-~
Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Postby gbleck » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:44 pm

Must be real new. Cop kicked us out.
gbleck
Master of Kite

Postby gbleck » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:47 pm

Found the posting. Must have been on the new signs and just missed it.

SHIT. WTF? 10am open. I'm picketing city hall.
gbleck
Master of Kite

Postby Safe_Cracker » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:01 pm

Ya that is going to be a problem , only open 8 hours out of 24? No matter what time at night or day I would go never seen or heard anything bad. no gang fights, no loud music no nothing just people who stop by to enjoy the water front. Going to have to find a different place to hide my car..

Polo. :roll:

Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Postby skysurfr » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:57 am

Several years ago I was "boo'd" from Wisconsin, through Illinois, Indiana, and up the Michigan coast for suggesting that someone be the "champion" of each of our kiteboarding beaches. "No man...keep the beaches free...no rules... peace baby..." Well now "the man" has slapped you down again and doesn't even know you exist.

As the budgets are cut, and the beach hours and staff are cut, I suspect you'll see more of this all around the Great Lakes.

Use this opportunity to take up the ball and run with it. Set up a private sponsored "Lifesaving Club" like they have at Australian beaches. Change those hours to suit the needs of the beach users, not the needs of the local village. Get a corporate sponsor. Don't just sit and do nothing!

Mike
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby gbleck » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:27 pm

The hours area posted in the actual ordience as 9am to 7pm.

http://library3.municode.com/default-test/home.htm?infobase=10165&doc_action=whatsnew

Looking closely I think that they may be aplying the mayor can close down the beach by proclimation clause. Durring the rescue in the chanel last week I belive he litteraly did this. As in used his voice to direct boaters away from the rescue divers area of operation. Hands on. I like that.

I don't want to make a stink as the city is likely to just ban all kiteboarding rather then acomidate us. I was thinking of going throught the friends of waukegan beach organization. Ask them if they would like help. I think they organize cleanup days if memory serves.

PS. Be carefull and watch out for swimmers in distress when out. This friday we had another fatality in lake county. 20 something male again. Sliped under off of the beach in zion. They had around 5 fire department dive teams, the coast guard and a coast guard air unit out. Bumped into one of them on the way to the beach and ended up leading them over to the boat launch. It's hard to find if you don't know the area. The pinged the swimmer with sonar and pulled him out around 7:30 after 50 min under water. Unable to resesitate. Cold water gives you a lot of extra time with out breathing before iriversable oxygen starvation to the brain so they did try and revive him. The water is cold. Swimmers without wet suits can cramp up or lose strength quickly. This is likely what hapened to this young man and the one that died swimming the shiping chanel in Wakegan. If we present ourselfs as equiped to help we are part of the solution not a problem. Oh and stay warm. Air is warm and the water is warmer but still cold enough to be a problem with prolonged exposure.
gbleck
Master of Kite

Postby Safe_Cracker » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:54 pm

Does Zion post the same rules? might be looking for other access or might go talk to someone at the company across the street to see if I can park in their lot. On foot I doubt Waukegan officers would pursue. I am going to call city hall some time this week and ask if their is anything we can do like a beach cleanup or similar to allow privileged access to the beach area.We might have to get some custom vinyl kiting dudes for our windows to identify us, just a thought? Honestly with us around on the windy days the waters are safer because I don't know a sinlge one of us who wouldn't save a person drowning, kiter or not..

Polo

Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Return to Where to Ride Today