Sunday July 18

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Postby West » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:45 am

Blew by St. Joe on the heels of a wicked looking storm at about 3.....hit Da Haven to guys riding 9's and 12's (missed the St. Joe storm)....rigged my 12m with the sand ablowin', kited at the pier and started downwind.

Headed down the beach jumping and turning like a madman across the water!! Passed all the city beaches along the way, and kept slapping the shorebreak all the way towards Saugatuck. Wind kept building as I kept going downwind, waves picked up and the next thing I know I see Eroc lighting it up in the distance. (His lady has a place bout 6 miles downwind of North Beach.)

Saluted the "drum king" (can't believe Ian didn't post his last couple of trips to the city, guess ZEP 2 got a good enough following that they don't need the kiter support anymore, :roll: ).... and kept on rocking and rolling. I was on the heels of a storm that was pushing North and pulling me along. Unbelievably the waves were head high and SWEEEEEEET. Hit 'em for another couple of miles before the wind started to wane. Milked it a couple of miles more and finally came to shore. Climbed the 203 steps from the beach, walked to the road and hitchhiked back to South Haven.

The wind had come back up in SH when I got there, rigged up with Jimbo and rode till Sunset with Roman and Lucas. Gotta love DA HAVEN. Wind turned West and picked up as the moon was coming out and Chris from Sharkless put on an evening show for us!!! :wink:
West
Wind Whore

Postby slavman » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:56 pm

West,
my jaw is dropping...! we were sitting at St. Jose waiting for some stronger push and got it at the end of the day. And you came up with a downwinder. Genius!
we can't complain - butter riding but no waves... it still makes the coming week good.
why don't we put a GPS ankle bracelet on West?
http://www.vimeo.com/13472546
Slavi
slavman
Kite Crew in Training

Previous

Return to Where to Ride Today