The MECCA...in the afternoon of the 2nd of August, 2010

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

The MECCA...in the afternoon of the 2nd of August, 2010

Postby West » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:26 am

Behold the lighthouse
Praise the squeaky sand
You're at the MECCA
Kiting's promised land

Dunes piled high
Sun blazing hot
Grasses swaying
LSP is the spot

Hit the Point with Jimbo yesterday. It was on like "donkey Kong" when we rolled into the parking lot. Were lit up in the afternoon on the 12m. Wind backed a bit, the other kiters left, we hung out and took in the scene for a while.....the SUN came back out about 6 and BAMMMMM, we hit it again for a few boosts!! Downwinder to the very end of the park, right before the coastline drops out of sight. Quite dramatic down there....couple of small breaks firing.....AWWWW YEAH...and damn near 80 degrees on the BIG LAKE!! 8)

Took the single lane dirt road through the trees back into the covered dunes at sunset.....chalk up another "classic" one for the BROS!!
West
Wind Whore

Postby Northerner » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:29 am

Hot Damn West,

The wind just gave us a little wink here yesterday and died as the clouds where thick.

Not sure whats better your writting or your kiting.
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby Rorke » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:29 pm

It ripped up here too.
Rode for an hour, packed up and hitched a ride upwind. Rocked a 3 hour downwinder.
The inside was light in the waves. But 150 yards off shore it was cranking. So I just yo-yo'd the same section over and over and over and over.
9m's, 10m's all around.
I was on the 12m super depowered. Better for unhooking than the 9m powered. No stall.
I ate shit left an right. Two new holes in my board.
Warm air, warm water, big waves, smooth 20 kts plus, sunset, warm beers, great crew.
Packed up around 8:45pm and it was building.

Sorry my report didn't rhyme. :D
Rorke
Zen Levitator

Postby Artem » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:29 pm

Damn.... I wanted to go but decided that too expensive on gas to go alone. West next time you go maybe we can car pool or something drop me a line next time you go.
Black 2011 12m North Vegas, Orange Best HP Nemesis 7m, 134cm Naish Thorn, 8'6 surfboard
-------------------------------------------------------
Artem
Artem
Boosticus Maximus

Postby Northerner » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:43 pm

Sheboygan does not like to be out done so the wind showed up today around 11:30. Nice, smooth and close to shore untill about 3:30 when the wind line started to form. One guy is still out riding that I can see from my house. The wife was out charging today and only two others showed up. Water was nice and comfy. Guys on 11's 12's and 13's
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:26 am

Wind at the Mecca, the Point, and Shesablowin......and they say it don't blow much during the summertime!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those are the three majic spots on the lake that can make wind appear from literally nowhere.....nice to see you boys tagging it too! 8)

Keep an eye on the 9th, give or take a day.....the Godfather told me on the 4th of July that it would be the next BIG BLOW!!!!!! Put it in the bank$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :wink:
West
Wind Whore

Postby Rorke » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:03 am

August 9th it is then. I can't believe how accurate Mulligan is. I just looked at the weather. the 7th will happen, and the 8th will be A+++++!

The 9th is the 16 year anniversary of Jerry meeting his maker. I'm going to put a huge Steal Your Face sticker on my board, and re-christen it as "The Grateful Sled"

This show will be cranking among others that weekend...
http://www.archive.org/details/gd1977-05-08.mtx.dan.35086.flac24
Start at Scarlet, Fire, Dancin', then Row Jimmy. Oh, my!
Rorke
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:28 pm

First kiter I met on Lake Michigan......Matt Mulligan.....knows more about the nuances of the Big Lake than anyone I know.....even more than Scotty G.

Never ceases to amaze me.....called it when I was ripping up Pt. Betsie with him on July 4th. He said "hey West, tell you what I know......the next Big Blow will be August 9.....give or take a day...."

Like I said.....put it in the bank and call it what you will................. :wink:
West
Wind Whore

Return to Where to Ride Today