Lake Superior Going OFF! Monday & Tuesday 8.16.10 &

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Lake Superior Going OFF! Monday & Tuesday 8.16.10 &

Postby 4w7s » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:58 pm

Is anyone up north and planning to ride? I'm in Northport MI and thinking of heading to Grand Marais tomorrow night for big Monday. This could be EPIC!!!

Bring your heavy neoprene (surfboards and small kites)

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/greatlakes/?c=map&l=ls&p=a&m=ws


PS: I just checked the East Superior buoy. It is at 67F!!!!! That is unreal and the big lake they call Gitchigumi does not get that warm very often.

This could be an unbelievable wave event. Will be worth being there just to see it
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator
 
Posts: 594
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:54 pm
Location: FL-OBX-MI

Postby Bob » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:06 am

Dude....been looking at the same thing for the last few days.

Looks insane.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore
 
Posts: 1547
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:50 am

Postby 4w7s » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:45 am

Anyone know for sure -
Does Grand Marais work well on a West wind?
Where exactly to launch?
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator
 
Posts: 594
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:54 pm
Location: FL-OBX-MI

Postby Rorke » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:25 am

Roberto,
Northport?! You're up the street from me.
Did you sail there? Do you have the vehicle?
Not sure what you ended up doing, but we are hitting the outlet of the Platte.
Should be nice!
Rorke
User avatar
Rorke
Zen Levitator
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:38 am
Location: TC, MI and Chicago

Postby Bob » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:34 am

Roberto,

That's also the same spot I was curious about. Looking at the satellite image, it looks like it would be insanely clean waves due to the jetty and what looks like a nice beach all around the area. I can't make it all the way up there tomorrow, but might hit up Red River just north of Green Bay.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore
 
Posts: 1547
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:50 am

Postby Bob » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:54 am

Grand Marais:

GALE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM EDT THIS EVENING THROUGH
MONDAY EVENING

REST OF TODAY
WEST WINDS 20 TO 30 KNOTS. A FEW GALE FORCE GUSTS TO
35 KNOTS. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS. WAVES 5 TO 8 FEET BUILDING TO
7 TO 10 FEET.

TONIGHT
WEST GALES TO 40 KNOTS. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS. WAVES
BUILDING TO 10 TO 14 FEET.

MONDAY
WEST GALES TO 40 KNOTS. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS. WAVES
BUILDING TO 12 TO 17 FEET...THEN SUBSIDING TO 10 TO 14 FEET.

MONDAY NIGHT
WEST WINDS 20 TO 30 KNOTS VEERING NORTHWEST AFTER
MIDNIGHT. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS. WAVES SUBSIDING TO 7 TO
10 FEET.

TUESDAY
NORTHWEST WINDS 20 TO 30 KNOTS BECOMING WEST 10 TO
20 KNOTS BY MID AFTERNOON. WAVES SUBSIDING TO 4 TO 7 FEET.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore
 
Posts: 1547
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:50 am

Postby Dechamp » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:29 am

Well was it off the charts. Just curious on the condition up there and the launch etc. It sounds like it could have been one of those "Dude you missed a one"

Bob
what ever cranks your turn!
Dechamp
Board Monkey
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:43 am
Location: South Haven Mi.

Postby 4w7s » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:51 am

Dechamp wrote:Well was it off the charts. Just curious on the condition up there and the launch etc. It sounds like it could have been one of those "Dude you missed a one"

Bob


Yeah it's a shame....I tried to find some info and rally some people to go. I was up in Northport, which is still a 6 hr drive/ and RT $120 diesel to the spot, so I decided not to go by myself, not really knowing the best launch, plus riding solo in an unknown spot with no support. Decided it was a lot of effort, carbon emissions, and time to go it alone. Ended up riding Sunday and Monday at Platte River (which was in the direction of home anyway) with a nice crew of people, 7.5m Kahoona both days.

But the Superior buoy was over 10' and the water temp was 65F. That's a pretty rare combo for Gitchigumi. , waves breaking at the East end were 12'+ Maybe still a chance to go for another event before end of season. Would like to get at least 2 days out of it though. If you surf it could be a great double header trip...kiting on the windy day and surfing the die-off. Hopefully next time a few others will be ready to go. You sort of have to go on a moments notice unfortunately.
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator
 
Posts: 594
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:54 pm
Location: FL-OBX-MI

Postby Herbie » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:30 am

I'm in for the trip someday.
Herbie
Resident Windfreak
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:40 pm
Location: Green Bay


Return to Where to Ride Today

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests