9-3

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

9-3

Postby kitenick » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:39 am

If the forecast holds Miller looks like the spot?????
kitenick
Adrenaline Junkie

Postby gbleck » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:08 am

I hope I hope I hope. 7.5M kahoona 2 is itching to get out of the bag.
Me = 145lb + 6" + (15M spd3 dlx, 11M x-bow, Kahoona 9.5M, 7.5V2) + Zap skim, home made 133 orange carbon aka Bifrost, home made black 170x50 cabon racing light wind tt, 133 wide tip carbon) + red helmet
gbleck
Master of Kite

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:45 am

If the forecast holds like this it will be busy at Miller friday 8)
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby shudawg7 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:54 pm

I'm in for Friday at Miller.
4Zero2-9Eight1-7Five8One
13m RASTAroo
10m Bularoo
Underground FLX 135x41
shudawg7
Pump Master

Postby V » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:40 pm

Big winds big waves. Looks like I might use the 8m for once...!
V
Unstrapped!

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:41 pm

Its gonna be great!!! Getting the 9 out !!!
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby shudawg7 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:40 am

Per West's advice here:

http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com/kiteb ... php?t=9210

I'm going to try to get out on the water around 11 before it gets too crazy. Anyone else planning to go early? I know it's going to be rippin in the afternoon, but I want to get some time in the smoother water too.

Where is the best place to setup? I know Marquette Park is cheaper parking than the end of Lake Street, but I'd rather be near where the rest of the kiteboarders are.

Thanks.
4Zero2-9Eight1-7Five8One
13m RASTAroo
10m Bularoo
Underground FLX 135x41
shudawg7
Pump Master

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:53 am

I am leaving my place early tomorrow. Thinking about leaving around 9 from glenview and be Marquette beach around 10. If every one just hits Marquette :D
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby ironben » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:37 am

I may stop by in miller for "light wind section" 8) ; later few of us heading to Muskegon for long weekend where may blow around 35.
I dont have many very windy days under my belt, anything I should know about?
I know the big door may not be the suitable board for the day :)
FAT LADY 17M;RPM 9,12M;Nobile NHP 7m
NHP 137";2015 SS Celeritas 5.11
Ben 630space638space3888 http://www.youtube.com/ironbeno
ironben
Master of Kite

Postby jarch » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:05 am

Folks...the next couple of days will not be for beginners or intermediate kiters...especially over on the Michigan side. For those of you that haven't kited in 35 knot plus directly on-shore and 12 to 16 foot waves... walk up to a basketball hoop and look up...then add another four feet or so above the rim. That's what could be coming at you. If you bail and your kite gets in a wave, you will be pulled under. If you get detatched from your kite and board, rip currents will be pulling you all over the place.

Only you know your abilities and comfort level...respect the lake.
Last edited by jarch on Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
jarch
Boosticus Maximus

Postby WaWaZat » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:06 am

shudawg7 wrote:Per West's advice here:

http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com/kiteb ... php?t=9210

I'm going to try to get out on the water around 11 before it gets too crazy. Anyone else planning to go early? I know it's going to be rippin in the afternoon, but I want to get some time in the smoother water too.

Where is the best place to setup? I know Marquette Park is cheaper parking than the end of Lake Street, but I'd rather be near where the rest of the kiteboarders are.

Thanks.

I would say most park at Marquette... all the way on the West end of the lot. Take it from me, DO NOT DRIVE IN THE SAND between the West end of that lot and the Aquatorium lot. :roll: I like to walk pretty far down the beach West of the Aquatorium... the miniature Soldier Field lookin' building. This puts you way downwind of the swimming area on a West, in case recreational activity builds there later.

I'll try to be there at the latest by late morn!!
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:22 am

jarch wrote:Folks...the next couple of days will not be for beginners or intermediate kiters...especially over on the Michigan side. For those of you that haven't kited in 35 knot plus directly on-shore and 12 to 16 foot waves... walk up to a basketball hoop and look up...then add another four feet or so above the rim. That's what could be coming at you. If you bail and your kite gets in a wave, you will be pulled under. If you get detatched from your kite and board, rip currents will be pulling you all over the place.

Only you know your abilities and comfort level...respect the lake.

Totally agree with this. 35mph winds are pretty crazy and not for any one who is just beginning (the fun factor will dissolve really fast).

Hopefully see some of you guys tomorrow at Miller.
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby dewsy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:28 am

Heh.. forecast is already coming down, maybe if we're lucky, we'll be able to use our 12's this weekend.. I'm going to predict that you shouldn't expect to ride anything smaller than an 8..

as far as swimmers and beachgoers, i don't think you're going to have to worry much about that.. the guards aren't going to let swimmers out very far in the water at all especially if there are going to be 8-12 footers (which there won't be)..

lastly, i wouldn't discourage intermediate riders from hittin the water this weekend.. just be smart, get a feel for what the wind's doing on the beach and if you feel like you're in control and comfortable, hit the water.. you're not going to get better unless you responsibly challenge yourself..

I might like to hit muskegon on saturday, are you guys camping there or what?

-dewsy
dewsy
Master of Kite

Postby ironben » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:33 am

Thanks jarch.
So far they not calling 35 + kts. more of a 28 +\- milles. But that again it is more than average day at Michigan. We be definatly safe and if needed we wait for calmer day.
Better safe than sorry!
ironben
Master of Kite

Postby ironben » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:39 am

dewsy wrote:I might like to hit muskegon on Saturday, are you guys camping there or what?

-dewsy

We staying in the house south of muskegon (west olive) but i would like to go each day to muskegon to use some of the pier protection but with west wind there may be none.
Anyway call me, we maybe on the beach right by the house.
ironben
Master of Kite

Postby Hoosier Daddy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:07 am

Could it be? Yes it could.
Somethin's comin', somethin' good.
Maybe toniiiiiiiight!
Somethin's comin', Idon't know what it is but it is
gonna' be goooooood.....

O.K any old codgers wanna name it and claim it?
Hoosier Daddy
Resident Windfreak

Postby dewsy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:24 pm

i'm heading to south haven at 3 today, hoping to get some riding in before the sun goes down tonight and then just chillin in south haven.. give me a ring if you want to meet up..

sixTHREEzero.917.7790

-dewsy
dewsy
Master of Kite

Postby Like To Kite » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:04 pm

It's Miller Time!

So excited, looks great. I'll plan on being at Marquette Friday around 9am. Saturday as well if conditions hold.

Will be helping out some of my advanced students if conditions are suitable. We'll see how gusty and choppy it is. Of course, we'll choose the appropriate size gear as well.

Looking forward to seeing you there tomorrow!
Amanda
http://www.LikeToKite.com
(773) 672-3210
Like To Kite
Resident Windfreak

Postby 4w7s » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:29 pm

ironben wrote:We staying in the house south of muskegon (west olive) but i would like to go each day to muskegon to use some of the pier protection but with west wind there may be none.

Muskegon info:
Even on the best of days there is only a limited amount of flat water in the lee of the piers...and then you are in the swim area about 50 yards downwind.

The flat water condition happens best on a NW sea breeze when the wind has just come up in the early afternoon and waves have not had a chance to form yet. Otherwise strong West to Northwest wind will generate lots of waves the full length of the beach. So do not get your hopes up for this weekend. Riding in the flat water in Muskegon is generally done by intermediate to expert riders who can handle the conditions and skills to get there from almost 1/2 mile downwind.

During the swim season it is generally frowned upon to launch next to the pier arms. The launching and landing area is typically at the very widest section of beach between the big parking lot and the water. In other areas you will be much more in conflict with swimmers and people on the beach. Please do not go against convention at the Muskegon beaches.

Bottom line:
1. There will be waves
2. Wind will be on shore to cross-on
3. There will be current and rips all day
4. There may be lots of people on the beach if it's warm enough (it's Labor Day Weekend after all)
5 There are no lifeguards
6. You will need to have at very minimum intermediate skills (can handle waves, can go upwind without any trouble) and have the right size kites. Forecast is calling for 25-30+ kts Friday and Saturday.
7. There are hazards in the area being discussed, both in the water and along the shoreline - CAUTION if you end up with control issues (metal pilings, rocks, concrete, cars, power-lines, people)

Not meaning to put a damper on your weekend, but it's important that everyone understands the situation clearly.
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby ironben » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:46 pm

I can handle that no problem, i am worrying more for two people in my group. They maybe just driving somewhere else.
We will see. Tomorrow we start at miller and go from there.
ironben
Master of Kite

Next

Return to Where to Ride Today