9-3

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:44 pm

NOAA:
Friday: A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms before 7am, then a slight chance of showers between 7am and 1pm. Partly cloudy, with a high near 70. Breezy, with a west wind between 15 and 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Friday Night: A 20 percent chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a low around 52. Breezy, with a west northwest wind between 15 and 25 mph.

See you all tomorrow people! :D
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:11 am
Location: Glenview, IL

Postby shudawg7 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:16 pm

If anyone is driving to Miller from the City and has room for a passenger, i would be very grateful.

I went to pick up my Jeep tonight (in the shop for minor adjustments and an alignment) and were not finished with it. It won't be done until at least noon tomorrow and the shop is way out in Arlington Heights. Boo-hoo for me...

Anyways, I would be willing to pay for gas and/or lunch if anyone would be so kind as to give me a lift. I live in Bucktown.

E-mail me at jshuey21(at)gmail(dot)com if you would be interested in helping me out. Or call if that's easier for you (number below).

Thanks.
Jeff
4Zero2-9Eight1-7Five8One
13m RASTAroo
10m Bularoo
Underground FLX 135x41
User avatar
shudawg7
Pump Master
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:49 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby anothermike » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:18 pm

THe Indiana BeachGuard says that Marquette Beach has a contamination advisory in effect. I didn't see Miller Beach listed, but I imagine it is under one of these other advisories. Anyone know what, if any, implications this has for tomorrow and Saturday?

https://extranet.idem.in.gov/BeachGuard ... ype=Public

Mike
anothermike
Board Monkey
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:12 pm
Location: Naperville

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:19 pm

Thats gonna be kinda shitty if that is true. Well just climb over the fence and get to the beach! :lol:
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:11 am
Location: Glenview, IL

Postby IVO » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:23 pm

Going to Michigen City tmr. around noon..Its on the way to OBX,right? :twisted:
User avatar
IVO
Zen Levitator
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 8:29 pm
Location: Naperville

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:46 pm

Never mind. What is the address for Michigan City to park tomorrow? I am heading that way too. Leaving around 7 am.
Last edited by Dutchkiteboarder on Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:11 am
Location: Glenview, IL

Postby adseguy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:51 pm

Never been to Michigan City. Does that pier/jetty provide flat water? How is it on a West?

I'm going somewhere tomorrow all day, so let us all know if the beaches being possibly closed is a serious thing or not

Jeff (shudawg7) I'm giving you a call now.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
User avatar
adseguy
Wind Whore
 
Posts: 1884
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 1:07 pm
Location: Lincoln Park - Chicago

Postby anothermike » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:04 pm

Seems there have been many of these advisories this year. Though it shows the last time the beach was closed is a year ago. Ergo, probably safe to assume it is open. Sorry for the confusion. I'm showing up hopefully by 9:30, if there is anything going on I'll post it.

Mike
anothermike
Board Monkey
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:12 pm
Location: Naperville

Postby ironben » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:27 pm

I don't know if this help but we were there on the Aug 25 and everything was OK. Guards were on beach and there were no warning of any kind.
So Michigan city for tomorrow? we leaving around 9 am
11 RPM 12 M;09 kahoona 13.5; 10 kahoona 9.5;10 Nobile NHP 7m
Spleene164;NHP 137";Axon 6.0
Ben 630-638-3888 http://www.youtube.com/ironbeno
Image
User avatar
ironben
Master of Kite
 
Posts: 462
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:05 pm
Location: Villa Park

Postby IVO » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:40 pm

Adrien,I would say that Miller is open,its just advisory,happed all the time..

Difference between Lake street and MC is,that usually on lighter winds(W-forecast),wind has tendency to click WSW,but not often make the way to MC..With higher winds that is different kind of story..It wont be flat,but really close to Jety and beach it wont be big.Good for learning tricks,more further you go,bigger waves.On this subject everybody has their own opinion,in my experience with strong W,waves has longer fetch to develop and could be really nice at MC..

and about forecast,I saw some post about 12m,downgrades,ect

here is my take

9/13) Latest Nearshore Marine Forecast by KIWX
Issued 9/2/2010 9:53 PM EDT.
Valid through 9/3/2010 6:00 AM EDT.

fzus53 kiwx 030153
nshiwx
833
nearshore marine forecast
national weather service northern indiana
953 pm edt thu sep 2 2010
for waters within five nautical miles of shore on lake michigan
lmz046-031000-
michigan city in to new buffalo mi-
953 pm edt thu sep 2 2010
...small craft advisory in effect from 2 am edt friday through
friday afternoon...
...gale warning in effect from friday afternoon through saturday
morning...
.overnight...south wind 10 to 15 knots becoming west 15 to 20
knots. chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms. waves 2 to 4
feet building to 3 to 5 feet.
.friday...west wind 15 to 20 knots increasing to 30 knots in the
afternoon. gusts up to 35 knot gales late in the afternoon and
early evening. slight chance of showers in the afternoon. waves
3 to 6 feet building to 6 to 10 feet in the afternoon.
.friday night...northwest wind to 30 knots. gusts up to 35 knot
gales. chance of showers. waves 10 to 14 feet.
.saturday...northwest wind 15 to 25 knots. gusts up to 30 knots.
chance of showers in the morning...then slight chance of showers
in the afternoon. waves 8 to 12 feet.
:wink:
User avatar
IVO
Zen Levitator
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 8:29 pm
Location: Naperville

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:51 pm

I am seriously way to confused now. I just think I gonna hit Miller and if its nothing I can head back home fast enough. Who is gonna join? I am heading out around 8 / 8.30 give me a call or if you want to share a ride. Just for the information I can take you out there and take you back but I need to leave around 3pm
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:11 am
Location: Glenview, IL

Postby shudawg7 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:03 pm

I'm riding with Adrien. We're leaving at 9. Hope to see some other people there!
4Zero2-9Eight1-7Five8One
13m RASTAroo
10m Bularoo
Underground FLX 135x41
User avatar
shudawg7
Pump Master
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:49 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Postby ironben » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:09 pm

I am open for whatever. lets talk in the morning and figure out.
11 RPM 12 M;09 kahoona 13.5; 10 kahoona 9.5;10 Nobile NHP 7m
Spleene164;NHP 137";Axon 6.0
Ben 630-638-3888 http://www.youtube.com/ironbeno
Image
User avatar
ironben
Master of Kite
 
Posts: 462
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:05 pm
Location: Villa Park

Postby adseguy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:13 pm

We're going to try Miller first. Lake street or the parthenon? I hate how there are 2 spots :evil: to park half a mile from each other.

Where does everyone tend to go?
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
User avatar
adseguy
Wind Whore
 
Posts: 1884
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 1:07 pm
Location: Lincoln Park - Chicago

Postby ironben » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:23 pm

miller cost 10 bucks; the beach to the east is much cheaper
11 RPM 12 M;09 kahoona 13.5; 10 kahoona 9.5;10 Nobile NHP 7m
Spleene164;NHP 137";Axon 6.0
Ben 630-638-3888 http://www.youtube.com/ironbeno
Image
User avatar
ironben
Master of Kite
 
Posts: 462
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:05 pm
Location: Villa Park

Postby nicole » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:41 pm

planning on getting to miller around 11, will check again in the morning. woohoo!
nicole
Master of Kite
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 1:15 pm
Location: South Padre Island, TX

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:12 pm

Marquete beach for sure! I skip Lake beach see you guys tomorrow
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:11 am
Location: Glenview, IL

Postby WaWaZat » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:25 am

Click on the Closures & Advisories tab... https://extranet.idem.in.gov/BeachGuard/BeachDetail.aspx?BeachID=6
Well maybe it'll all just float away by the morning. :?
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite. com
708.341.0003
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:41 pm
Location: South Holland, IL

Postby Like To Kite » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:32 am

May change my location tomorrow to Michigan City. Thanks Ivo for giving your advice to me tonight!

I will be texting a few people when I arrive around 10am tomorrow morning with an update of the conditions. If you'd like to know please text me and I'll do my best to respond. You might catch me on my breaks from being out on the water!

Looking forward to seeing and meeting many riders! Heard that there will be an excellent crew at MC!

Happy Kiting!
Amanda
http://www.LikeToKite.com
(773) 672-3210
User avatar
Like To Kite
Resident Windfreak
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:36 pm
Location: Chicago

Postby Larkey Parka » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:53 am

Landed last night for some gigs and found all this crazy wind talk!
I need a ride to wherever. It's 5;45 now. I don't need a ride back
Included in the deal are free fix and passes to zeppelin 2 at house of blues Sept11 and gas money
Can't wait to see y'all on the water
Cell 415-424-9628 call or text. I'm at Belmont and Ashland in the city
Rock
Iani
Larkey Parka
Master of Kite
 
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:58 am

PreviousNext

Return to Where to Ride Today

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest