Grand Marais 9/4

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Grand Marais 9/4

Postby manasty » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:56 pm

Anyone goin up to superior saturday? Waaaay out of my league, but damn, it should be a show.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... 2=-86.2450

I'll be camping at pictured rocks
manasty
Board Monkey

Postby Northerner » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:25 pm

6 of us are heading up tomorrow morning for the weekend. We got a great crew of strong riders from three different towns. We plan on hitting Marquette on friday/ saturday and then over to Grand Marais area sunday. But with these conditions anything can happen.

Either way we got a real adventure on our hands
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby manasty » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:49 am

Sweet! Maybe I'll see you guys.
manasty
Board Monkey

Postby Bob » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:28 pm

Good luck boys.

Bay of GB was super fun today with Matt Erdmann and Micro.

GRAND MARAIS TO WHITEFISH POINT MI-
1011 PM EDT FRI SEP 3 2010

GALE WARNING IN EFFECT THROUGH SATURDAY EVENING

REST OF TONIGHT
NORTHWEST GALES TO 40 KNOTS...WITH A FEW STORM
FORCE GUSTS TO 50 KNOTS THROUGH 2 AM. SHOWERS. WAVES 10 TO 14 FEET
BUILDING TO 20 TO 25 FEET.

SATURDAY
NORTHWEST GALES TO 35 KNOTS. SHOWERS LIKELY. WAVES
SUBSIDING TO 12 TO 17 FEET.

SATURDAY NIGHT
NORTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 25 KNOTS WITH GUSTS UP TO
32 KNOTS. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS. WAVES SUBSIDING TO 8 TO 11 FEET.

SUNDAY
WEST WINDS 15 TO 25 KNOTS. PARTLY CLOUDY. WAVES
SUBSIDING TO 6 TO 9 FEET.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Boosticus Maximus

Postby Rorke » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:33 am

Can anybody shoot me the Sheriff's info?
Rorke
847-910-2217
Rorke
Zen Levitator

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:19 am

pm'd
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Boosticus Maximus

Postby Northerner » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:11 pm

Northern Expedition 1.0 was a big success on many levels. The plan to head up there was hatched at Pena’s house after a great day of riding south winds in Sheboygan. Marquette for us is just over four hours from Sheboygan so it’s the about same drive to the bottom of the Lake without the Chicago traffic. And the fact that it’s the biggest of the lakes makes it a no brainer so all systems were go on this forecast.

Myself, West and Greg, arrived in the Marquette area around 3 in the afternoon. We checked out a few spots east of town starting at Au Train Bay. We found a great beach on highway 28 just west of Shot point and rigged around 4. West jumped out of the car and was screaming at me that we only had one hour before we are going to get blown off the water and I need to put down the phone and open the Thule box NOW. We all rigged 7’s and went out for our first rides on Superior. Waves were head high and building fast. First 20 minutes I was perfect on my 7 and strapless surf board and getting some great rides. In the mean time West and Greg went back to their Hawaii skills and started cutting apart the largest waves they could find. Both the waves and the wind jacked up as the front can through, making it difficult for everyone not to be pulled off the waves. I caught one huge wave on the outside and rode that in to the beach where I struggled to land my kite as the winds were well over forty. Jens and Ben from Madison showed up and gave it a shot before the winds blew them off just as West said. After riding we met up with the brother of a local Sheboygan rider for beers, great food, a warm sauna and lots of local knowledge of the area. Pat really gave us some insight to the area and made us feel very at home.

Saturday was the day we drove up there for and it was on. We spent most the morning driving to different spots and trying to find the right wave and wind combo. We checked a few bays north of Marquette and then all the way east to Christmas Michigan. The wind direction really followed the contours of the coast line and seemed to be either on shore or side off at the different places we checked. Lots of surfers out on the water, they were lining up on nice big clean waves in the numerous protected bays.

We again decided to ride the large exposed bay just east of Marquette on highway 28 right before Shot Pt. Madison crew rigged their smallest kites and went out in the 10-16 ft waves. West, Greg and I went to Mike’s house, a local kiter that lives on the lake shore that I met in Sheboygan this spring. Here we started a 6 mile downwinder to the way side where the mad town crew was riding.

Waves were big and pretty smooth for there being 30 kt winds. Average size was 8-14 feet with many bigger ones time to time. Coast line had a nice long beach with waves breaking on different sand bars. Some areas the shore break was almost impassable well other spots the waves broke way out with nice smooth water near the coast West and Greg again where in Hawaii mode well I worked on not getting killed and putting my head on a swivel. In waves these size one really needs aware of what is coming at you and where you are going. I again rode my 7 meter with a surf board but I tossed the straps on. After riding strapless for most of the summer I really felt restricted on my board with the straps, but at the same time they were the ticket when one had to boost over a 6-8ft solid wall of breaking white water. The waves had both speed and mass behind them and over all they lined up nicely for there not being a pier or a point to shape them.

We made it down wind and met up with the mad town crew which at this pt had grown as Jeff and Matt came up on Saturday morning. It was great to see the parking lot of the way side filled with cars watching both the power of Superior and a bunch boys from down south literally killing it on the waves. Everyone then jumped in Matt’s van and went back to Marquette Mikes house for another round of down winder action.

For the second down winder both the waves and the wind smoothed out. Here I gave Mike my seven meter to use and West handed him a Brokite to ride. Jens went out on his 6 again with his surf board strapless. I have to say it was a real pleasure to see him up on these huge waves throwing spray in the purest form. I went out one my new 8 meter Rally for the first time with a twin tip and everyone else was rocking there 7’s. One moment for me on the trip I won’t forget any time soon was when Jeff dropped into a wave. As he rode further down into this huge wave it started to jack up and was well over double head high and he’s got to be 6’3â€
Last edited by Northerner on Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby Herbie » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:46 pm

WOW!!!
Way cool, thanks for sharing.
Herbie
Resident Windfreak

Postby jensmadwind » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:21 am

good times

10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Postby Misfit » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:27 am

Awesome!

Cory
Forum Nerd
Misfit
Wind Whore

Location: Sitting in front of my computer nerding out and i've got 6.80% of the total posts to prove it ;)

Postby manasty » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:39 am

Sounds amazing.

Saw many monster waves breaking pretty close to shore. The beach at sable falls had some of the biggest. The wind and waves were very impressive friday night and saturday. Only made it to Grand Marais on saturday.
manasty
Board Monkey

Postby jarch » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:17 am

Awww yeah boyz. Sounds epic. Great how everything came together for he whole crew.
jarch
Boosticus Maximus

Postby skysurfr » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:22 am

Much like Waldo and Dora The Explora.... I think there may be multiple West's in various locations around lake Michigan. How can he possibly be in so many locations at once.

My mom told me that Santa has helpers that look just like him. Is it the same with West?

:lol:
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby STF » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:36 pm

Awesome Trip!

and on a side note, best write up of the YEAR.
STF
Boosticus Maximus

Postby West » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:26 am

A trip to remember......the first kiting trip to Superior by the Lake Michigan boyz....Madtown, Chitown, and Shesablowin' being well represented.

Such a great re-cap Sheriff....what a great 3 days we had. The friendships getting stronger all the while, the wind cranking, the waves crashing.

Connecting up with the local kiters was great....their hospitality outstanding!! Won't forget the sauna anytime soon....and I am sure Greg won't either :wink: !!

No further descriptions of the riding spots are warranted with the great details the Sheriff supplied. However, I will add that the brewpub in Marquette had the BEST fish chowder I have ever eaten.....with Lake Superior Whitefish, imagine that!!!!

Presque Isle, just North of Marquette was simply BEAUTIFUL and worthy of a 7 hour drive just to walk through the Red Pines, over the Red pine needles, and down to the Red-hued beach, in order to look out on the spectacular rock and tree covered island that lay right off the shores of Lake Superior. BURNED INTO MY MEMORY!

And the "backroad" that Rorke led us down, on the way to Grand Marais. What a one lane road with the tree branches right over our roof tops. WOW!!!!!

Can't wait for the next one Sheriff....I know I will be riding in that possee, hooting and hollering all the way up the Lake Michigan coastline, into the UP, and onto ol' Gitchi Gummi.

Props to Roberto for helping to fan the flames, and motivate us to fulfill our destiny!!! Next time, hope to see you Roberto. :D Keith, sorry we missed you. Thought the conditions were going to be out of control on your side of the Houghton peninsula....keep researching, cause we will be headed your way soon, BRO!!!
West
Wind Whore

Postby 4w7s » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:44 am

Had I not been so spent from a long road trip just prior to your expedition I would have made it for sure. I probably will not be able to go again until next summer. Hoping to leave for Irelend in the near future.

I'm glad you lads were able to scope it out and score some riding. There is so much mystery about Superior - so close, yet so far away for many of us.
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
http://www.kitesurfatlas.com/schools/4winds7seas
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby Stang » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:02 pm

There is so much mystery about Superior - so close, yet so far away for many of us.

Couldn't have said it any better! Sign me up, i wanna go...
Stang
Kite Crew in Training

Return to Where to Ride Today