9/7 Tuesday

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Postby dewsy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:25 pm

dewsy wrote:since we were discussing a "safety" issue such as a board leash.. did anyone have a word with this kitesurfer about being "safe" when flying a kite on the beach with beach goers downwind? I was concerned and just thought i might bring it up.. all I know, is from what I hear about the Sheriff, he'd have lost his mind if he were to have seen something like this.. I also do not wish to hijack this thread but since we were talking about good decisions..

-dewsy

Jens, that's not me trash talking at all.. it was merely me bringing attention to a story (picture's worth a thousand words) or action that drew NO concern from the same people that made a big deal about a story about using a board leash.. the reason i brought it up here, in this topic is because it, just like the story about using the board leash, should have gone without comment.. we should be trying to expand the sport, but people aren't going to want to post here in this forum if they see the leaders of the sport LIKE YOU JENS ( <-- compliment) jumping down peoples throats.. you, west, and the rest of that group of people have a lot of skills and knowledge that new riders should be looking up to, not afraid of..

I remember when I started last year, there were a couple times i just wanted to sell all my stuff and never kite again because of some of the things that you said.. i'm glad i hung in there though, cause any time i'm out on the water with that kite in the air, it's the best thing in the world to me..

by the way, no one's called me out on anything in quite a while.. not that they couldn't, there's just been no written or video (or pictoral) evidence yet..

-dewsy

any more comments i have to you, i'll just pm you so we can work it out..
dewsy
Master of Kite

Postby jensmadwind » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:52 am

Sorry for looking into the timing of your post. I still don't regret posting that picture I just regret not explaining the situation on the spot.

I don't mean to be nasty on the forum, but I stand by my view points on the issues that could affect us all. I do get a little peeved when I see people with little to no experience(or those with a lot) try to argue against or make light of the common sense practices(that are for the most part internationally recognized) that have worked for the rest of us since the beginning.

no worries just ride respectfully and safely (not to say you aren't)
10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Postby Misfit » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:29 am

Next.

Cory
Forum Nerd
Misfit
Wind Whore

Location: Sitting in front of my computer nerding out and i've got 6.80% of the total posts to prove it ;)

Reel Experience......

Postby tog0713 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:24 pm

While I certainly respect the right of those who don't use board leashes to continue to not use them as well as instructors I respect like Bob and Roberto to caution against against them. None the less, I have yet to read in our exchanges on this forum any bad experiences with reel not surfboard leashes. In fact, from V, Mike and Slavi I've read of conditions appropriate for using them and top pro riders that use. My body of experience includes at least 500 sessions with a reel leash and probably 200 more with my son using one. This experience plus the comments about top riders using them leaves me a little incredulous reading comments from riders with little or no experience with a reel leash telling me I'm an idiot for using one.

In closing, I hope we can leave the use of reel leashes as a personal choice for those who don't want to waste energy body dragging after their boards. I respect those who choose not to use board leashes. I hope they will do the same for me....

Regards,
Tim
tog0713
Zen Levitator

Postby Herbie » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:10 pm

I had the top of my foot sliced open, 7 stitches, due to a reel leash, well and my own stupidity for having one. I might add that was a number of years ago, like my first couple weeks of kiting...
Last edited by Herbie on Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herbie
Resident Windfreak

Postby Safe_Cracker » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:03 pm

I have a cure for board loss, BINDINGS... :lol:

Oh and BTW you can have the top of your foot sliced open from your fins in the surf also, no leash needed (been there done that!)

Polo
I could be wrong, but not usually

:)-~
Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Postby jensmadwind » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:34 am

As long as I don't have to see it I respect your decision to use a leash but my reaction upon seeing one or hearing somebody praise them will always be the same. I am not making my comments on your behalf. So if you don't want to hear about it , don't talk about it and for the rest of the forum folks if your sick of the conversation then don't follow the thread.

last thing I am going to say is that if one doesn't have the energy to body drag then one probably doesn't have the energy to kite safely.
10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Postby adseguy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:51 am

jensmadwind wrote:As long as I don't have to see it I respect your decision to use a leash but my reaction upon seeing one or hearing somebody praise them will always be the same. I am not making my comments on your behalf. So if you don't want to hear about it , don't talk about it and for the rest of the forum folks if your sick of the conversation then don't follow the thread.

last thing I am going to say is that if one doesn't have the energy to body drag then one probably doesn't have the energy to kite safely.

With you 100% on all of the above.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,9,10,12 Epic Screamer
10,14 Eclipse Thruster
129cm Epic Spartan
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby Safe_Cracker » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:59 pm

jensmadwind wrote:

Actually it don't take much energy to body drag when A kite is pulling you I think it is a time factor...

Polo
I could be wrong, but not usually

:)-~
Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Postby Greg » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:54 am

Of course everyone has the right to live their life anyway they choose. But I worry with Chicago being a city of millions, with many new riders who have no clue about safety, anyone wearing a board leash sends the wrong message. I know when I started learning I wanted a board leash real bad, but the instructor (Bob) made me learn to bodydrag FIRST. Otherwise I would have injured myself for sure. If you want examples go to Kiteforum and there are numerous pictures of people with serious lacerations on that site. Circa 2004!!

This discussion is so old its scary we have to rehash it.
Greg
Wind Chaser

Previous

Return to Where to Ride Today