Miller Beach SUNDAY 10.03

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Postby gbleck » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:07 pm

Ahh so that's how you get to the other side of the jetty. MC curent was ripping so hard. I had to rig up the 15M speed3 and a big board to get off shore. I think the current either curved off or stalled in the corner up wind of the chanel/jetty.
Me = 145lb + 6" + (15M spd3 dlx, 11M x-bow, Kahoona 9.5M, 7.5V2) + Zap skim, home made 133 orange carbon aka Bifrost, home made black 170x50 cabon racing light wind tt, 133 wide tip carbon) + red helmet
gbleck
Master of Kite

West

Postby Kevin » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:39 pm

West I am serious you should write some freelance articles for one of the kite magazines. I'm sure you know people who could get you connected.

Current. At Michigan City a few weeks back there was a strong current making at difficult to stay upwind (Mike was explaining this to me.) I hadn't seen that before. Is there a way to predict that? And how can you recognize it?
Kevin
Resident Windfreak

Postby West » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:31 am

I kite Corpus, Maui, and Lake Michigan. Lake Michigan never ceases to amaze me, and I have been kiting it for 10 years. The adventure for me is in picking a particular spot to kite on any given day, because you usually have several options available.

It's beaches are plentiful, diverse, and mind-blowing. The drives around the Big Lake spectacular.....and the folks around the various towns interesting and friendly. The kiting buddies I have made around the lake I will keep for a lifetime. And of course the riding can be out of this world!!

As for the writing, I do it for pleasure, and to let others know that it ain't all about big tricks and big waves....it's about the camraderie, the beauty of the various spots that we kite, and tuning into Nature.....some kiters may never notice the TREE, or see the many different tiles that line the parking lot at Beverly, or even know about the road from MC to Beverly....EYES OPEN :shock:

The current at the bottom of the lake will always be tremendous a day after a 40 knot blow......the water has to go somewhere....once it picks a direction, more water will follow....that's why we like to set up behind the jetties scattered around the lake. Unfortunately for us, we only have the jetty at Sheboygan on a NE & S, Kenosha on a SE, Waukeegs on a S, and MC on a W!!!!! Michigan has all the jetties for all the directions up and down the coast. The jetties kill the current, knock down the sloppy waves, and give order to the set waves!!
West
Wind Whore

Postby Ray Manta » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:09 pm

Thanks to you, I felt like I was there... in the hunt with all senses on. 8)
Whenyou coming out to Maui this year?
Eh, why you one cheatah?... You no ketchum fair 'n square!
Ray Manta
Wind Chaser

Previous

Return to Where to Ride Today