Thursday, Nov. 4

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Postby Safe_Cracker » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:16 pm

Here are two I snatched them without permission lOl :wink: . I am the one without style haha I was just happy to be up riding!

Polo

I could be wrong, but not usually

:)-~
Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Postby West » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:21 am

Notch another insane downwinder from South Haven to St Joe!!!!!!!!!

Todd G, and Sean.....9's, lit up.....rainbow spots, crazy dark clouds, smooth ass waves....PURE MICHIGAN

You know the rest....hot soup upon arrival in St Joe, cold beers, and Todd's lovely wife Angie to pick us up....perch dinner, two hearted, and a hot tub.

Heading down to the beach in Da Haven now to check it...should be turning NNW any minute now. Aw yeah, that's my kind of party! :) :)
West
Wind Whore

Postby Northerner » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:09 pm

West, sounds like you live the good life on both sides of the lake, nicely done my friend.

Sheboygan was very good yesterday as well. I got out around 3 and rode till dark by myself on my 11 powered. Started in clean waist high waves and ended the session in head high stuff. Again water and waves were flat and long from wrapping around the pier, but they were spaced a bit close.

Rode strapless most of the time, but did get some twin tip action when the wind really came up. A line of dark clouds moved through around 4ish that produced winds near 40 I'm guessing for a short bit. As the wind line hit I was heading back to shore on my UG 142. I went for boost and landed a bit too hot and lost my board. Dragged towards the board and out stretched out my hand to grab it when bam, my C loop slipped of my hook. Kite went to twelve and yanked me hard by the leash, as I attached it to the Slingshot depower line for easier relaunch. This pulled me completely out of the water and away from my board. I then focused on the getting to beach after climbing up my leash with the kite at 12 and hooking back in. I just wanted to land my kite as the wind was howling.

I wasn't worried about my board as I was very close to shore and I lost it in front of the blue harbor. This gave the board the entire length of the beach to wash ashore at. After securing my kite, I climbed a small hill and searched for it with no luck. After the wind dropped, about 15 minutes later, I rode down the entire beach on my surf board looking for it down wind. Well it never came to shore and I never found it. I still don't know how in the world I lost it with it being so close to shore and it having so much beach down wind. Current most have been crazy
I then dusted myself off and went back out on the surf board where I healed my wounds with an hour of perfect lip smacking fun.

Had that board for 4 years and it was one of my favorites. It was the biggest board that one could put into the NSI deceiver bag and I kited many exotic waters with it. Been kiting for seven years and this is the first one I've lost. Once had my name on it but it has washed off long along.

Good Bye Sweet Prince
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby xwindsurf » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:17 pm

Sheriff,
Who am I, still green, to give you any advice?
But it sounds like I might be more experienced in one department - losing, and finding boards. From my truly vast experience (at least ten times, and still a perfect score, from assorted Lake Michigan beaches, to Texas, Maui, and Australia), I learned the following, and apologies if that sounds too obvious to you:
1. It always lands way farther than I would ever imagine, sometimes a mile further
2. It takes a lot longer to get to the shore that I would think - on several occasions, it wouldn't wash on the same day but it was there the next morning
3. People usually don't know what it is but they don't find it valuable or interesting enough, or too cumbersome to steal/take away as a trophy - but sometimes move it away from the shore line - so it's always there. Are you sure it's not sitting somewhere where you least expect it?
Tom
--------------
773-725-2535
xwindsurf
Master of Kite

Postby Northerner » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:48 pm

Xwind, All good points on the subject.

Yesterday afternoon turned out to be another nice day up here. Got home from work, walked down the bluff in front of my house and started to look for my board. In less than ten minutes I found it washed up on the rocks with some tree limbs about 150ft north of my house. Boards got a few dings on it but not nothing that really matters. It drifted over a half mile before coming to a rest; currents can be huge on these bigger days.

Waves looked to nice not to partake in so went out on the stand up and rode in some nice chest to head high stuff till dark. Really loving the stand-up option.

Right now I'm looking at a nice white cap filled wind line about a mile out. Hopefully the sunny skies today will draw it in for some nice flat water riding and alittle reunion time with the UG 142.
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby TommyTheCat » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:21 pm

That was great to get out once again and before it freezes.…someday I’ll get a drysuit!

Miller was steady, even with all that North coming on shore. A coyote ran right around us and full rainbow…cool.

Good to me you Polo, that mound of loose sand at the lot exit got worse but I made it out with some speed!

Tom
TommyTheCat
Kiter Noob

Postby Safe_Cracker » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:20 pm

Ya you too Tom! It was my first time to Miller and I was super stoked to be lit on a 9m! When I left I def made sure I had enough speed haha.. Hopefully we get more days like that soon and hope to see evryone out there!!

Polo
I could be wrong, but not usually

:)-~
Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Previous

Return to Where to Ride Today