Sunday Nov 7, before it freezes over

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Sunday Nov 7, before it freezes over

Postby xwindsurf » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:40 pm

South Haven?
http://www.windfinder.com/weatherforecast/south_haven
Or even just Wolf?
http://www.windfinder.com/weatherforecast/gary_airport
Anybody thinking of catching up some of the last glimpses of the fall glories?
Tom
--------------
773-725-2535
xwindsurf
Resident Windfreak

Postby ironben » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:52 pm

i am still waiting on this get together/ demo day; so far is quiet.
I am going to ride tomorrow with some friends. so lets talk later.
now is time to PARTY
11 RPM 12 M;09 kahoona 13.5; 10 kahoona 9.5;10 Nobile NHP 7m
Spleene164;NHP 137";Axon 6.0
Ben 630-638-3888 http://www.youtube.com/ironbeno
ironben
Master of Kite

Postby Like To Kite » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:48 pm

Amanda
http://www.LikeToKite.com
(773) 672-3210
Like To Kite
Resident Windfreak

Postby dewsy » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:26 pm

right now I'm planning an early morning session at either south haven or Warren state park, the angle will still work for what's coming.. it's not 100% though cause I do have an EMT test Monday that I need to study for.. I have to see how tonight goes..

the 7mil booties came in so I'll be good till thanks giving if it's windy..

-dewsy
dewsy
Master of Kite

Postby Safe_Cracker » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:29 am

You guys are acting like the lake is just gonna stop and freeze over lol. The season has just begun, don't know about you but if it is liquid, i'm riding! :wink:

Polo
I could be wrong, but not usually

:)-~
Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Postby Jimbo » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:55 am

Wind to be SSW at Keegs, nice side shore. Headed out around 11:00 or when it changes.
Jim
Jimbo
Kite Crew in Training

Postby xwindsurf » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:40 pm

When you drive for 2.5 hours hoping to get that Small-Craft-Advisory-up-to-30kts adrenaline shot, and you end up on a 16m kite, not always fully powered, can it be good?
Well, it wasn't too bad in SH today. A thick layer of frost on the way up but then.. nice shore break, further out pretty smooth cruising, blazing sun, warm, although a spray of water in your face is guaranteed to wake you up if you need it...
Probably the most imprecise forecast I have seen in a long time but still fun, quite a lot of it.
Tom
--------------
773-725-2535
xwindsurf
Resident Windfreak

Postby IVO » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:56 pm

Jimbo wrote:Wind to be SSW at Keegs, nice side shore. Headed out around 11:00 or when it changes.

Jimbo,,

when you have (strong)forecast for whole lake SW-SSW Waukegan will never click SSW as well..I think its due beacuse of a shape of "bay" what makes the wind tweak more to W..No matter what your meteogram will say this is not a fluke,but rather a rule!Lucky to get some strong S in keegs,beacuse even this will switch usually to SSW/SW..No wonder why this place is know as "waukegone" :) Hope this help for next time.

Tom,,

I know you are experienced windsurfer,waterman,so take this as little pointers..

Today forecast was actually dead on the money if you would figure out where to go.What you missing is half of the forecast.I watch Nearshore Marine forecast as well,thats my first stop,next one is S.Micihigan Buoy..

So first one was saying SW 30knt with hint of SSW(thats good),S.M.B. was showing same except from around noon wind backing off to 20knts and falling..

SMB is key to whole forecast usually,so if you knew SSW is stonger up,up in the Michigan you would drove one more hour to Holland,Grand Haven ect..The only question was if it was worth it today :twisted:

Déjà vu

Holland 11-7-2009
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com/kiteb ... highlight=

I wouldnt do justice to describe today so Im sure somebody else will pick up the torch from here :wink:
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby xwindsurf » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:06 pm

Ivo,
Windsurfing involves a completely different set of considerations, like getting out of a wind shadow in side-offshore condition in Evanston, which takes 10 minutes, instead of driving 2.5 hours to have side-onshore. Not that I regret switching...
But that's a side note.
More importantly, I still don't get how you figured out 15 miles/h wind in SH out of the 30 kts forecast, plus the SMB showing the same but then dropping to 20. Could you explain?
Tom
--------------
773-725-2535
xwindsurf
Resident Windfreak

Postby IVO » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:18 pm

More importantly, I still don't get how you figured out 15 miles/h wind in SH out of the 30 kts forecast, plus the SMB showing the same but then dropping to 20. Could you explain?

SMB was blowing SSW-S all day long,that direction sometimes had problem to fill in to South Haven to SW..just personal experience

for the rest
Dynamic forecast,speed,direction

http://www.ikitesurf.com/windandwhere.i ... sicGraph=0

Very simple,very accurate

and of course rule number one::follow the rocks!!!!!!
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:43 am

Little bit of magic up in Holland yesterday......great hanging with the BRO crew......lit 9m most of the day and a downwinder to Port Sheldon on the 12m to finish it up.....blowin a solid 22 when we left PS.

Always a good thing when youre walking down the road with your thumb out and you see that 4 door Gold truck pull up and the tailgate drops and out comes the sushi, cheese and crackers and cold brews........TODD G is the man!!!!!!

Had the honor of watching someone on a yellow RPM and a squash tail 5'3'" just rip up the over head-high waves.....took me about 2 minutes to figure out it was Andy Bolt. BOLT's in his home turf ripping.....what an honor to ride with the legend! Great to chat with him and the Chicago crew in the parking lot after a great sunny November day.

Hit New Holland brewery for a sandwich and a beer, then hit 3 Floyds for a Gumballhead on the way back.

Not enough time to even begin to post of the amazing waves, amazing rides, and amazing friends gathered for the amazing day.....I guess you could easily see that it was AMAZING....once again....PURE MICHIGAN!!!!! 8)

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY IVO.....been a good year buddy, and many more to follow.....and by the way, the rocks were a shakin'.....(gotta put 'em up for a while, cause there is work to be done, before the WEST winds start howlin' and puts the icing on the CAKE!!! :wink:
West
Wind Whore

Postby Rorke » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:31 am

Bolt kills it. Fun to watch for sure.

Yesterday I surfed (to the best of my ability :oops: ) in the morning. Waves were huge. Barely had to paddle in.

The surfers were getting the best rides I have ever seen in Lake Michigan. It was like California out there.

When the wind picked up to 12m, I pumped up.

There were a lot of riders. 6 SUP, 7 surfers, 1 kiter (me).

I rode with the guys for a couple of hours. Perfect waves. Finished with an enjoyable downwinder.

2010 had the best Spring, followed by the best Summer, followed by the best Fall. Could the best winter be next? :D
Rorke
Zen Levitator

Postby g16362 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:25 am

"When you drive for 2.5 hours hoping to get that Small-Craft-Advisory-up-to-30kts adrenaline shot, and you end up on a 16m kite, not always fully powered, can it be good? "

Hahahaa ahh so true sometimes --but not yesterday!! that shizzle was golden at Hollland. Waves like unto Maui. Yah yah I know our waves mostly suck but there are exceptions and yesterday was one of them. Besides if you can ride Lake M waves u can ride any wave. You just need the right mindset. You gots to hit that lake M shiz like an autistic carpenter. With mathematical precision and screaming like a retard.
g16362
Pump Master

Postby Safe_Cracker » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:45 pm

That is funny shit ^^^ !!! I went from being able to get over the waves at Waukegan to trying to find an opening in them at Miller. Seems likes Millers waves are always breaking early and no matter where I hit them it is all white crap. Maybe I should use the above technique? I can do the carpenter part just fine but if you could demonstrate the crazy retard part that would be very helpful haha!! :lol:

Polo
I could be wrong, but not usually

:)-~
Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Postby Jimbo » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:18 pm

Ivo,

Your forecasting is interesting. What's your forecast for Tue and Wed. I have half days at work? Looking good SE. For a beach party on the water?
Jim
Jimbo
Kite Crew in Training

Postby xwindsurf » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:56 pm

Ivo,
It sounds like you, and a bunch of other experienced guys knew what was brewing, and where to go.
I certainly don't want to sound bitter or anything - but is there any way you could perhaps sometimes share that precious knowledge before, not after all the fun?
You know, the sense of community, all these lofty ideas that make this sport so unique...
Thanks in advance
Tom
--------------
773-725-2535
xwindsurf
Resident Windfreak

Postby IVO » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:42 pm

Tom,

cold hard true is that within this community only few kiters are willing or can make 3+ hours drive for wind,waves.I wrote sometimes where to go,but again saw only couple guys on trips to Muskegon,ect for half a day riding except regulars..Those who were looking for advice always managed to snatched my phone number somewhere and used it..

I only passing what I have learnend from Big Boys and what I have figured out on my searching for winds.What I wrote to you was just little of that,so next time you'll know what to look for,didnt meant to offend you by that tip.

Jimbo,,

the forecast is as good as the morning you going somewhere.Wednesday,might work in Sheboygan,but its not regular set up for that place.Still ealry to tell.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby xwindsurf » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:09 pm

Ivo, no offense whatsoever, and I much appreciate any and all tips, it's just that this time it was hard not to feel like a complete moron, having asked beforehand on the forum, and then learning after the fact about the bliss that was only 45 minutes further than I went.
Which of course has nothing to do with you, or anybody else for that matter: the last time I checked, nobody joined this forum as a 24/7 meteo wizard for noobs 8)
And yes, I will try to call the next time.
Peace
Tom
--------------
773-725-2535
xwindsurf
Resident Windfreak

Postby West » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:03 am

Tom,

I am an ex-windsurfer myself......and glad I ain't poleboarding any more. Very sound advice by Ivo.

First a question, and then some info. IF you had driven to Holland, 3 to 3 and a half hours, and not found any wind....would you have been frustrated and complained about it, or would you have taken it in stride, hung out on the beach in a "good" mood and shot the shiz with the BRO boyz? that is a very pertinent question when wanting advice on where to go on Lake Michigan on any forcast.......think about it hard and long and be truthful to yourself!!!!!!

Now some info......on a SSW in the Fall, I NEVER go to Waukegan, once it switches SW it is no bueno my friend!! South Haven can be great on a SSW, but if it goes South....no bueno my friend. Holland is the first place on the Michigan side to get a pure South. Hell, when I hit the beach at 8 30, it was 5 degrees offshore at Holland....almost drove to Grand Haven, but I figured it would switch eventually, and it did, and it got AMAZING!!!!

So in all honesty, I thought SH would be good, but Holland better. However it was a "crap shoot" quite literally. The group that gathered at Holland rides together frequently. We make the extra drive to find better conditions, not just stopping at the first beach that has wind. :wink: IF the wind does not cooperate, we drive further or "take our medicine" and make the most of it. That is why we usually hang out together after the sesh as well....to enjoy one another's company....not to complain about the wind that didn't materialize...cause it will come back around the next time!!!!

ATTITUDE matters, and we all get "skunked" once in a while....it's just that it happens less frequently than it used to, cause we tune into the nuances of the lake...AND of course I have some rocks that when shaken seem to call up the wind....some find that a bit odd, but all I can say is that I can't create the weather, I can just influence it a bit!!! 8)

And by the way.....Sheboygs will blow on Wednesday.....put that in the bank!!! Waukegan maybe, but then most will stop there if they go, cause it is the first beach you get to....no matter what is posted....and that is just the facts of the matter!!!!
West
Wind Whore

Postby jarch » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:46 am

Some sound advice there West!
jarch
Boosticus Maximus

Next

Return to Where to Ride Today