Friday 11.12 Keegs

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Friday 11.12 Keegs

Postby dewsy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:42 pm

I know it's pretty far out there still and we're likely to see a change, but I'm sooo antsy to get out there and ride with my new harness so I'm going to head to Keegs on Friday.. should be there around 945 and gone by 1..

-dewsy
dewsy
Master of Kite

Postby Safe_Cracker » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:39 pm

Ya we got skunked today but I'll go ahead and say that I'll join you. Grab some rocks, shakes some trees do what ever it takes to make it happen haha ... Polo :wink:
I could be wrong, but not usually

:)-~
Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Postby Jimbo » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:36 pm

So far count me in. I need to get some board time in, not bored time.
Jim
Jimbo
Kite Crew in Training

Postby dbur » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:51 pm

so far Friday looks not bad, if forecast holds I'll be there around 10am
Kahoona '09 9.5 white, 13.5 gold, 137 BRO
dbur
Resident Windfreak

Postby Safe_Cracker » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:30 am

SailFlow shows it as a NE so hopefully we get what we need... :D

Polo

http://www.sailflow.com/windandwhere.iw ... meoffset=0

Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Postby dewsy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:18 am

just checked the graph and the graph looks like it sucks but who knows, I guess it all depends on what the buoy's doing before I'd be ready to leave.. could just be a Fly/Door sesh..

-dewsy
dewsy
Master of Kite

Postby Safe_Cracker » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:06 am

dewsy wrote:just checked the graph and the graph looks like it sucks but who knows, I guess it all depends on what the buoy's doing before I'd be ready to leave.. could just be a Fly/Door sesh..

-dewsy

Ya it isn't last thursdays Miller BUT all I need is 10knts the NE should have enough energy for at least that, lets cross our fingers.. :wink:

Polo

Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Postby alarmclock71 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:53 pm

My commute to Kegs is only 45 (from my house) and I was there on Wednesday as well (took half day of from work) with the anticipation that I can improve my skills and have some fun. But this was the third time this year that I drove to Kegs for nothing. From now, until I see solid 18 plus on wind station reporting at the Kegs harbor (or 20 on windfinder), I am not moving. There is hardly anything more frustrating than returning from a beach without even removing any gear from the trunk. I have only so many vacation days left and simply can't afford to lose more :-)

I hope there is few more nice days this year, where 3 hours plus driving is not required. It gets dark so fast now...
Kitesurfer in training since early 2010
8m Rev2 Slingshot, 9m Cabrinha, Crossbow; 12m Cabrinha Switchblade, 2007 Crazy Fly ProLine 137 Board
alarmclock71
Board Monkey

Postby adseguy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:20 pm

I could have told you it wasn't going to happen. I've seen it blow 25 on the off-shore buoy before and maybe only 3-4 knts. on the beach. The variables were all in play. Cold water, warm air, SE, haze.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,9,10,12 Epic Screamer
10,14 Eclipse Thruster
129cm Epic Spartan
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby Jimbo » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:39 pm

alarmclock71:

Welcome to world of kiting! Unless you are willing to to be a wind chaser and drive hrs to catch the wind, you will be skunked many times. Its part of the sport.
Jim
Jimbo
Kite Crew in Training

Postby IVO » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:07 pm

alarmclock71

Its very simple,,,,,,>>>good SE works only couple times a year in Waukegan,,save that in the memory bank and use it next time.<<<

NE is the only direction worth looking for at Waukegane..Already made a post about this before.

Cheers
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby Safe_Cracker » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:15 pm

We all knew it wasn't gonna blow but it sure is nice just to stop by and see! I can sit all day on the beach with/without wind, sure beats sitting at home :wink:

BTW- The meter at that time was showing SSE @13 knts so there was a small glimmer of hope but ya very few SE work there. Oh I have also had days that were totally unforecasted (again not a word :wink: ) and rode for hours also helps to look for a pattern especially in the summer.

Polo

Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Postby adseguy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:24 pm

Safe_Cracker wrote:We all knew it wasn't gonna blow but it sure is nice just to stop by and see! I can sit all day on the beach with/without wind, sure beats sitting at home :wink:

BTW- The meter at that time was showing SSE @13 knts so there was a small glimmer of hope but ya very few SE work there. Oh I have also had days that were totally unforecasted (again not a word :wink: ) and rode for hours also helps to look for a pattern especially in the summer.

Polo

Right on-board with you on everything there. Those stealth sessions are the best
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,9,10,12 Epic Screamer
10,14 Eclipse Thruster
129cm Epic Spartan
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby Safe_Cracker » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:05 am

I'm not saying anything but check da meter! Leaving in 30....

POLO

Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Postby dewsy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:49 am

alright, i'm going to head to keegs, though I think it should be better in zion..

-dewsy
dewsy
Master of Kite

Postby Safe_Cracker » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:16 am

Not to bad. Small waves a little gusty but ok. I'm on my 13m feels like 15 gusting to 18

Polo[/code]

Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Postby dbur » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:00 pm

well it wasn't bad at all, surprisingly gusty for NE, but warm and even sunny in the afternoon... hopefully not the last session of the year
Kahoona '09 9.5 white, 13.5 gold, 137 BRO
dbur
Resident Windfreak

Postby Safe_Cracker » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:26 am

Ya it was good to see you guys again! I fell pray(lost a board) to the nasty getty currents don't think I'll ever learn and that is the perfect situation for a board leash. I had to ditch my board because I was so close I couldnt get a full power stroke to pull both me/board and I wasn't climbing out on the rocks. I pushed my board towards the rocks and body dragged up and around the getting for the beach. Took me a while to get inside and drop the kite but when I ran back to spot it, could not be seen, currents must have been really moving plus it may have been upside down :cry: . Only good thing is that I have my name, email address and phone number on it. The winds were gust lulls were around 11 mph gusting to 22-23 mph so if you went out on a 13 you had a real hard time to stay up till the long gusts came back. We started to rig 16's which was a real test on the gusts, my depower strap jammed wouldn't power up so I called it a day at around 2, was pooped. Jim's kite dropped on him (super lull) and looks like id fell trailing edge down, then a wind cam flipping it inside out twisting his bridle. Jason/Jeff kept trying to swing by to flip it but that was a no go. No relaunch for jim so he self rescues and of course Jason with his flying pillow case drops in to tow Jim to safety. As Jim was approaching the tip of the Getty he was being pushed out by the current so chances are if Jason didn't drop in he may have been in for a long ride. These are some of the reasons why you don't want to kite by yourself. Way to go Jason !!! Well I guess I now have room in my basement for a Mako FreeRide 150x140 and cough cough a leash for them NE days... :wink:

Polo

BTW- If I obtained an oxyacetylene torch could I cut the rebar from the Getty?

Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Postby Jimbo » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:56 am

Polo

Nice kiting with you, after you left had 2 more hrs of riding, wind was not as gusty.

What actually happened with my kite was that when I did a transition and the kite powered up the chicken loop slid off my harness bar ripping the kitebar out of my hands? kite flagged from my leash but bridle was twisted, couldn't relaunch. Once I wound up my lines and grabbed the kite I used it as a sail to ride back to the beach. like you said it would have been a long ride back.

This is why I always use a leash and wear a flotation jacket, You never know what might come your way. Thanks Jason for the tow!
Jim
Jimbo
Kite Crew in Training

Postby Jimbo » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:59 am

Jeff

Thanks also for trying to flip over my kite :D
Jim
Jimbo
Kite Crew in Training

Next

Return to Where to Ride Today