Friday 11/19

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Postby Safe_Cracker » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:56 pm

Well i dont know about up north but here the wind is still blowing and I am getting ready ti go back out for a moon light session. Loom stick on my board handle, couple shots of jack, waves around 4 ft and water temps near 76F, not too bad :)

Polo
I could be wrong, but not usually

:)-~
Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Postby Northerner » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:51 pm

Woke up around 7 to waves building with the wind switching from the S to SSW, by 9 the waves were head high and looking great here in Sheboygan. I would have done a downwinder in Sheboygan this morning if I had someone to ride with and get it before the wind went too far west. Decided to head north to two rivers where I met up with jens and herbie. I rigged my 8 while they went out on 6’s. Wind was side on and the waves were well over head high and clean. Went out on the twin tip at first as the wind was just ripping. Conditions gave us nice flat water between the waves with the wind being a bit gusty. Waves where good, but did close out in many places current was also very strong.

Jens got his groove on with his surf board and rode hard for an hour before continuing his trip up to Washington Island for big buck hunting. He was in good form and was getting 3-5 turns on each wave. Herbie went to his 9 and surf board as wind can down and I went to my surf board.

Never was able to get my groove on today and I overall had a weak session. My surf board got washed to shore three times while riding the larger outside breaks. This required a frustrating long and wetsuit flushing drag in while being pounded by the waves, making me colder then I should have been and not as crisp as I needed to be for a day like we had today.

Day ended for me with a long soak after I out ran my kite on a monster wave that I got my best turns of the day on. I sighted this big one out in the distance and made a bee line for it when I saw it starting to take on nice shape while keeping its size. Came up to the lip and made a hard toe side turn right at the top. I raced down the wave face while facing it, so I was looking right this beauty grow and break. Got down to bottom and made a hard heal side turn putting me right in front of the white wash. I raced across the front of the white breaking mass and rode back up to the lip, where laid down another toe side turn. This time I had to ride almost straight down the wave face and not across it as it started closing out in this section. I picked up to much speed as I raced down the face and got pinched between the white water and my kite. I tried to loop it but never got the lines tight. Kite sat down in the water and got hit by a wave right away.

The wind never got to my kite as the large waves where blocking it and I knew I was in for a rough 10-15 minutes. I unhooked from my kite and flagged it out to prevent it from getting torn in the pounding break. I always swim towards my kite and try to create the least amount of resistance on the lines well making sure I don’t get wrapped in them. Got close to shore and detached complete reducing the twisting that often happens at the shore line. Also having slingy as my brand helps in my kite surviving these situations.

Packed up cold and walked back watching Herbie slashing it and doing his signature surf board back roll high above the waves. Here I realized that today was not my day. I had a big facility party last night at my place and I think pounding beers for 6 hours caught up with me on the water today.

Drove back to Sheboygan and stopped by the Elbow and checked on the surfers. I pulled up and my jaw dropped. 10-15 guys catching perfect chest to over head high waves that peeled on and on. Guys where getting nice cut backs and making the most of the Lake Michigan.

When I was seeing what these guys were getting a thought crossed my mind and this was a thought I had never had before. This was the fact that I rather would have SUP’d these waves then kited today. Not just because I got it handed to me earlier, but because perfect waves are something that must be experienced and enjoyed in what ever form.

Game on for Sunday and I’m not talking football.
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby Safe_Cracker » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:36 am

WOW :shock: :shock: :shock: sometimes you know when it isn't your day and sometimes you need mother nature to remind you before you realize! I myself just come in off the water 3:35 here and I am beat... GOODNIGHT.... :wink:

POLO
I could be wrong, but not usually

:)-~
Safe_Cracker
Kite Dominator

Previous

Return to Where to Ride Today