SESE's.........high noon on the 24th!!!!!!!!!

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

SESE's.........high noon on the 24th!!!!!!!!!

Postby West » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:00 pm

On the brink.....leaves gone, deserted shores;
Ol' Mother Michigan wakens and roars........
JACK is coming, with his ICY grip;
but there are still waves to rip
on my trusted twintip!!!

Wait for the thaw, for the wind to build;
rig small, find where the waves peel...........
SESE's is the call,
a little magic in the fall.........
lay it down, bring it 'round and stall!!!!!

SAFETY FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
West
Wind Whore

Postby Jimbo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:34 pm

I will be hitting Keegs around 10ish, off work early for some flyin an ridin. :lol:
Jim
Jimbo
Kite Crew in Training

Postby dewsy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:19 am

dang, keegs really? i'm thinkin the swell might be better at Zion.. I'm going to try to hit zion till about noon then make the jump to keegs if there is no one there..

-dewsy
dewsy
Master of Kite

Postby Jimbo » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:46 am

Jason

your correct on the bigger wave swells at Zion, keegs however is a better match for my ability.
Jim
Jimbo
Kite Crew in Training

Postby dewsy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:14 am

dang JIM!! Come to Zion!! Give me a text and let me know. I'm headed out to Zion in about 30-45 min should be there around 9..

-dewsy
dewsy
Master of Kite

Postby West » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:27 am

keegs would be the call behind jetty...............force in numbers...........SAFETY FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!
West
Wind Whore

Postby Jimbo » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:41 am

Ryan is back from China and I think he's gotten soft on us. He will here at Keegs for some kiting. Here at Keegs now
:o
Jim
Jimbo
Kite Crew in Training

Postby adseguy » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:50 am

I'd be ripping up Montrose's BUTTER water today if I was able to go. It'll be a cold one for sure! Stay warm and get in the last few drops of the season.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby lebeda12345 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:52 pm

I am leaving in 20 min. I will be in Waukegan around 1pm.
Peter.
lebeda12345
Pump Master

Postby zulutimer » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:09 pm

Rode M around 11 -1pm today on an 8M, overpowered at times. Hands just got too cold and the wind was a little too south for my liking. It was so windy that even on a SSE there were waves inside the jetty....but very smooth ones for effortless airs - some seemed 40+ feet.

Maybe another session this weekend before it gets really cold!
Paul
zulutimer
Kite Crew in Training

Postby Northerner » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:29 pm

Great Poem West, some of your best word play yet.

Really got it good up here today, got on the water around 3 and rode till 4:30. Launched my 8 Rally at the north beach cove here in Sheboygan and went out on my surf board. Waves were big and messy most places as the wind had a bit too much east in it. Made it up wind to elbow of the pier and got into cleanish and nicer waves. Waves were head high plus at the elbow and much bigger at the end of the pier where they breaking half way up the light house. Made it out to them once, but they were pretty messy out that far and not that fun.

After a few tacks I found the spot that gave the cleanest waves and hung out there where I could link 2-4 turns on each of the big waves that came through. Man cannot live with the surf board alone, so the last 20 minutes I went to the twin tip. Here I fully powered my kite and just boosted big in the flat water between the waves and off the lips. Last 10 minutes of my session a heavy snow squall came through with big fat flakes that greatly reduced visibility. It was a surreal experience to big boost in almost white out conditions.

Chilling in my living room having a few beers while listening to the lake pound through the walls of my house. Taking it easy tonight as I plan on being up at first light to SUP at the same spot I kited at today, going to be big and hopefully clean as the wind swings to the SW and then W.
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:46 am

Aw yeah Sheriff........

hit the beach to the sand a blowin'
Lynch, Greg, Ben and Jens a showin'
twintip spray a throwin'
on the SESE afternoon so golden....

7's flying fast on the wing
the Kitesurf Electric I sing.....
waves peeling everywhere in sight
kiting into the twilight

a dreamlike state, snow flurries and all
into the quick....bottom turn and stall
hand draggin' glass, board showing it's might
carvin the liquid.....in effortless flight!!!!!!!!!!!!

An unbelievable kiting experience for us yesterday.....a tad nippy, but oh so damn sweet.......

A joy I have found so unexpectedly is that when the temps drop and the conditions are "on the brink"......the cold becomes invigorating to me, and the sight of some of my buddies "braving" the COLD, and banding together to grab just a little bit more of the honey from the BIG LAKE......well, that is really what it is all about.....camaraderie!!!!!!!!! The sharing of an overwhelmingly joyful experience, we term kitesurfing.....I give THANKS for that, and for those I shred ol' Mother Michigan with......

.....Between sessions, I sat in my lil red Toyota truck and as my tingling hands re-gained their warmth, I cried in anguish....then I smiled, laughed, counted my blessings and praised "the kitesurf electric".....I rattled the rocks, put back on my gloves, and headed back to the shores of Lake Michigan; with sleet flying, sand blowin', and the hoots of my buddies riding on the wind, I launched my kite and melted back into the frozen afternoon's bliss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
West
Wind Whore

Postby jensmadwind » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:36 am

yep that was a quality day on the water, gave me one more thing to be thankful for yesterday. Best lip smacking day of the year for me. My back leg is still sore.
10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Postby ssauve66 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:01 pm

sorry to have missed that one guys. and props to getting another killer day despite it starting to get scary cold out there. its one of the few ive missed since being back and i never expected to be kiting this much and for this long after coming back to the great lake in late october.

gotta give thanks for 8 great days on the water in the last few weeks only one of which being anything short of stoked out madness, but NONE of which being short on good company, shenanigans and hospitality, good beer and great boards, and some of the best damn colors and skies ive seen on the lake!

good to see everybody again... lots of thanks to everybody who's shared their beaches, homes (or their neighbors homes in the sheriffs case) and rides(cant beat the Todd and Angie downwinder cold beer, hot soup SERVICE!)

...not that im saying this seasons over YET
-------
Sean
ssauve66
Pump Master

Return to Where to Ride Today