Saturday 11.26

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Saturday 11.26

Postby dewsy » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:05 pm

Lake St. Beach, Miller, IN.. Sunrise session (almost).. I'll be there around 8:15 to catch about 3 hours of riding before it falls out.. Bring your drysuits and whatever other gizmos you use to stay warm.. 12deg windchill.. don't drop that kite either B)

-dewsy
dewsy
Master of Kite

Postby Northerner » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:19 am

Thats getting to cold to ride. Not because of discomfort or hypotherma, though the risks do increase and should be respected, but because of the freezing of the bar and lines.

I don't ride in anything under 35 to prevent my bar and lines from freezing and becoming use less. It doesn't take much to render the depower adjustments, bar sheeting, or QR from working. In 10-15 minutes of riding all of these systems which one relies on are most likely out of serivce.

Sunday and Monday are prime time though.
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby jensmadwind » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:03 am

I had my lowest air temp session in Andrews back yard last fall. It was 6m weather with the air temp right at 32 maybe a degree or two lower. I was actually able to stay warm... doubled up in a 3/2 under a 5/3 and beautiful sunshine. The thing I couldn't prevent or avoid was just what Andrew described. My whole control system was encased in ice and everything from the depower straps to the chicken loop release was rendered useless.

So the chips are really stacked against us at those temps. If you decide to play the hand anyway just know the house is going to win eventually. I wont ante in to that game again.
10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Postby dewsy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:04 pm

excellent points guys.. got skunked at the Mill anyway.. tomorrow looks like it could be interesting though..

-dewsy
dewsy
Master of Kite

Return to Where to Ride Today