2011 Kiteboarding Event, Fond du Lac, WI Feb. 11-13

Kitesurfing or snowkiting...if the wind's blowin'...where you goin?

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

2011 Kiteboarding Event, Fond du Lac, WI Feb. 11-13

Postby WAK Jason » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:59 am

The Winnebago Association of Kiteboarding is hosting it's annual kiteboarding event in Fond du Lac, WI on February 11-13. This is an open invite for all to attend. The Sturgeon Stampede has been held annually for 22 years and evolved into a snowkiting event for the last
5 years. All proceeds go to support WAK ( Winnebago association of
Kiteboarders), a local club, that has helped establish
5 kiteboarding launches on the southern end of Lake Winnebago. We
love promoting kiteboarding, as well as the safety and comraderie of it. We hope everyone can make it out to enjoy the good time!!

Registration form and more info:
http://wakkiteboarding.com/stampede%20k ... 202011.GIF
WAK Jason
Pump Master

Re: 2011 Kiteboarding Event, Fond du Lac, WI Feb. 11-13

Postby Bob » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:19 pm

Yo Jason,

I just posted another thread on the open forum that we'll be coming up to the Stampede for sure especially since we're not having a Madison event this year due to me not riding at all, so we'll come and support you guys 100%. Stoked to see everyone and below is what I posted on my forum and this forum.

Did you guys get much snow today? We got about 2-3 inches only, but no wind, so it should set nicely.

Posted already.......................................................................................

The Epic Infinity light wind kite is on the move.

The boys (and girls) in Florida at Good Breeze Kiteboarding are sending it to me for all of us to try.

Along with the kite being here for all of us to try, I'll also be at the Sturgeon Stampede in FonDuLac, Feb 12, 13th for anyone who is up there to try also. As always, I'll have all my demos for anyone to ride for feedback and those looking to try something different or looking for a new kite. I'll have kites from Epic, Cabrinha and Slingshot. All my Wainman demos are sold, but more coming soon.

Our winds have basically sucked so far this winter, so maybe this new light wind Infinity kite from Epic (designed by Dimitri and Momi) will get some good use soon. There's no size listed, but it's a light wind kite that is quicker turning than most all others and pulls really well.

I can not ride this winter, but would appreciate any and all feedback. Both good and bad.

Bob
http://www.kiteridersllc.com
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby WAK Jason » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:05 pm

Bob,
It is too bad you won't be able to ride, but it will be great to see you guys!! We do have lot's of good snow to ride on the lake already. The wind hasn't been the greatest so far this winter, but we have been able to get out and ride a good amount. There have been a few really windy days though, so can't complain too much. Right now the plan is for us to move the WAK shack out onto the lake this weekend and start building ramps for the event. Hopefully this way the ramps have a chance to get a little snow fall on it between now and Feb. 12. We have lot's of good snow already, but hopefully we get more yet! Hardest part is planning the wind for that weekend! Anyways, can't wait, I am sure it will be a good time! I'll make sure to save a minnow shot for you!!
WAK Jason
Pump Master

Postby Northerner » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:01 pm

Myself and a half dozen others from sheboygan are going for sure. Went last year and these guys put on a great event. I was thoroughly impressed even without much wind and I'm sure it will be just as good if not better this year. Jason you guys still have that RV?????????

So mark your calenders, as the Sheriff gives the Stampede his mark of approval!!
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby WAK Jason » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:54 am

Sheriff,
We do not have the bus rv anymore. She was hard to keep running every year! This year we will have an even better WAK shack on the lake. We have a 30' trailer camper which has been gutted and revamped. It will actually work better because it will provide more room and it heats way better than the bus. We built ramps for the event this past Friday before the snow hit. This should give them a couple of weeks to accumulate more snow before the event. We have lot's of snow already, but can always use more. Now let's hope the wind gods come through for us on Feb. 11-13!!
WAK Jason
Pump Master

Postby droffats » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:16 pm

If there is wind, many of us from Milwaukee will be there with Blade, Airush, and Cabrinha kites as well. Kevin from Windpower sports in Fond du Lac is a Naish dealer and will likely have a bunch of stuff as well.

Just remember, if you win an event, you have to eat a live minnow. Get the Smelt Helper in the frying pan. Here is Dalius eating one of his three for a sweep of events two years ago (I think).

The 'ol bus:

- Droffats
droffats
Resident Windfreak

Postby WAK Jason » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:08 am

HaHa! I remember that! I didn't think Dalius was going to survive that. They are way easier going down with a shot though. Good to hear the Milwaukee crew will be representing! We rode Thursday and Friday with great conditions both days. Friday was really windy with a big crew out riding. We got another 1-2" of snow this morning. Looks like we could get some more on Tuesday and maybe more Friday. Granted it is an early forecast, but they are calling for some wind (midteens) for this weekend. Seems to be shaping up for the Stampede!!
WAK Jason
Pump Master

Postby gbleck » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:35 pm

Dang. Out of town.
Me = 145lb + 6" + (15M spd3 dlx, 11M x-bow, Kahoona 9.5M, 7.5V2) + Zap skim, home made 133 orange carbon aka Bifrost, home made black 170x50 cabon racing light wind tt, 133 wide tip carbon) + red helmet
gbleck
Master of Kite

Postby WAK Jason » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:59 am

The latest update on conditions are that we have lot's of snow. It was very cold all week, so the snow is no longer fluffy and is hard crusted on top. It is supposed to be warm today, so that should help to soften it up for the weekend. We rode yesterday and had a good time breaking in the ramps. The wind forecast for today has gone downhill. Looks like any wind we get will be in the afternoon in the 10-15 mph range. The good thing is that the event site is about 1/3 mile out from shore on the lake. That means any wind we get will at least be clean wind. I think we will be able to run at least a long distance race this afternoon. We will still be out there today selling burgers and chili along with beer and soda, along with a great party including bonfire tonight. The wind forecast looks more promising for Sunday. That might end up being our big event day. If that is the case, the same plan for today holds true Sunday. Registration until 11am, then the rider meeting at 11:30 with events to start shortly after. Let's hope the wind comes up earlier and more than planned today so we can at least run a couple of events today. Any questions, feel free to call me. Jason (920)948-7234
WAK Jason
Pump Master

Postby WAK Jason » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:08 pm

Thanks to everyone who made it. We had enough wind to ride both Saturday and Sunday. Sunday was really windy with some big boosts. Congrats to all the winners in their respective events and classifications. It was probably the best Sturgeon Stampede we have had yet for our club. I will try to get some pics and videos up for people to check out. Thanks again for the great weekend. It definitely showed what a great kiteboarding community we have right here in the midwest!!
WAK Jason
Pump Master

Postby WAK Jason » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:20 pm

Just thought I would share a quick unedited clip of part of the Big Air contest we had at the Stampede this past weekend. The video is courtesty of Stafford from Adventure Kiteboarding (http://www.kiteboardmilwaukee.com/). We are accumulating all the pics and vids and will try to edit it into an all inclusive video, but for now this is fun!!

http://vimeo.com/20001780
WAK Jason
Pump Master

Postby Bob » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:11 pm

Took a while to post this, but here's an edited video for all to enjoy. I'll also post in the video section.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2kp2ngpRjo

The WAK guys threw a great event and thanks for all the hard work to make it awesome. There's a lot of hard work to make these events work. Pass on the good word please.

Also, don't forget to support your local dealers....Stafford, Kevin, Bob and anyone else who works to bring the goods.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby WAK Jason » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:30 pm

Here is a link to the picture gallery from the event also! It was a great time with lot's of great riding and even more good times! Thanks to all that could make it!! And yes, thanks to Kevin, Bob, and Stafford for bringing their gear out for everyone to try.

http://wakkiteboarding.com/Pics/Stampede2011/index.html
WAK Jason
Pump Master

Return to Where to Ride Today