First winter swell cough..must be MC

Pictures and Videos of locals or just great shots. Put em here and brag to your buds about your mad skills fo-shizzle.

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

First winter swell cough..must be MC

Postby IVO » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:48 pm

all pic are from Jimmie,took those from his office 8)
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Re: First winter swell cough..must be MC

Postby West » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:14 pm

awesome colors and great swell....what great backside riding!!!!!!!!
West
Wind Whore

Postby IVO » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:16 pm

Cruzer knows how to ride that!
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby IVO » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:33 pm

IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby adseguy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:18 am

That's so awesome. I've been in the water my whole life, but never personally experienced waves like that. I can only imagine how scary it is until you get more comfortable with it.

Hey West, you got any pictures from your windsurfing days on big mammoths like that?
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby West » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:26 am

Those shots are from Lanes, the kiting spot downwind from Ho'okipa.....considered to be too junky and irregular for a great wave spot by the windsurfers who "own" Ho'okipa; which is a much cleaner, organized, regular break with a channel. We used to measure waves by calling them "mast-high" when the faces were as tall as a windsurfing mast, which was 15 ft. Once it got to be mast-high it began to be considered big, and most of the windsurfers would venture down to Kanaha where it was much more forgiving and smaller. Ho'okipa would fire from the right direction when it got up to mast and a half, bout 20-25 ft faces, those are the days that only the experienced local or world-class competitors would go out, due to the skill and knowledge required and the dangers involved in that size...Ho'okipa closes out when it gets bigger than that...

My windsurfing spot was below Lanes at Kuau which is in front of Mama's Fish House; I windsurfed that spot for 10 years on a regular basis from Sept thru April, attempting to tag a 100 days of wavesailing a year. I also used to freedive for fish, crab, and lobsters along those reefs and knew the break very well........Kuau can handle the biggest wave on the island with the exception of JAWS; Jaws is a drop in and get a picture and get out spot....Kuau on a due North Swell will break from Mama's down thru Noriega's, which is outside Tavares Bay,....bout a half mile wave, that when connected could number up to a dozen soul-surfing laid-down screaming bottom turns...in order for the wave to break that long, it would have to be mast and a half to double mast high!!!! Those were the days when the elephants were marching; sometimes I would go with a few friends but often I went out alone, and often I had to swim back in, due to equipment failure, or just due to the fact that the current was too strong to make it back into shore thru the Kuau channel; in those type of conditions it is imperative that you are comfortable and confident in the water. Because the waves were breaking on the 4th reef and beyond (almost a mile offshore), and from your vantage point on the shoreline cliffs you couldn't see over the "set" waves; there aren't many pics from those days.......but I got stories cowboy; many, many stories!!!!!! 8)
West
Wind Whore

Return to Pictures and Videos