Old kites can still rip !!!

Pictures and Videos of locals or just great shots. Put em here and brag to your buds about your mad skills fo-shizzle.

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Old kites can still rip !!!

Postby snowball » Wed May 15, 2013 9:25 pm

07 waroos !!! Gotta love em' @ secret spot Keweenaw peninsula MI .... Going to make a trip back up there once it warms up a bit more, PM me anyone who is down

Free camping near launch or many cheap places to stay but camping in wilderness off Mandan rd. is most fun for sure, it is not even against law you can even check in with rangers before and tell them check back dates, they are super cool up there !!

My Quiver: Slingshot Fuels, Best Waroos, Mystic Harness, Brokite Board, Zap Skimboard, Naish Surfboard.

KITEBOARDING LESSONS - WATER - SNOW - LAND + GEAR SALES !!!

Owner at http://www.ChicagoKiteboardingLessons.com Email: Chicagokitelessons@gmail.com
snowball
Boosticus Maximus

Re: Old kites can still rip !!!

Postby chanson » Thu May 16, 2013 7:27 pm

sweet! any chance you will give some details on the location....? I frequent the area quite a bit and would love to score a session....

-jake
chanson
Chop Wrestler

Postby Northerner » Sat May 18, 2013 7:39 am

Sure I'd be happy to share. While I am clearly not snowball and I could be off, I'm betting that the "secret location" is Great Sand bay just ENE of Eagle River. I would say it is a nice, but not an amazing place to kite condition wise. Here is a link to a trip I did to the Keweenaw I did last year.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11020

And yes old kite still Rip in fact much more than new kites. A buddy of mine had an 08 almost tear in two on a huge gust two weeks ago. That baby sure did rip
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby snowball » Sat May 18, 2013 9:39 am

I actually PM'd him the "secret" spot. The local who rode with us said not to post it on the internet so I thought I would respect his wishes. So don't try to make me look like a D-bag.

Both days I was overpowered on the 7 by sunset. Waves breaking big by the point. I would call it pretty f**king amazing. That is for sure !!!

BTW Nice trip Northerner. Oh and actually my 07 waroos aren't ripping at all, still fly just like they did 5 years ago. I can guarantee your expensive "new" kites will rip just as easily if they collide with a tree, floating sharp piece of wood, glass on beach, etc. lmao
My Quiver: Slingshot Fuels, Best Waroos, Mystic Harness, Brokite Board, Zap Skimboard, Naish Surfboard.

KITEBOARDING LESSONS - WATER - SNOW - LAND + GEAR SALES !!!

Owner at http://www.ChicagoKiteboardingLessons.com Email: Chicagokitelessons@gmail.com
snowball
Boosticus Maximus

Postby Northerner » Sat May 18, 2013 10:10 am

That place can literally hold 200 plus kiters, plus its largest and one of 2-3 sand beaches on that entire 60 miles of rocky coast so I would argue it's really no secret. I would fully understand if it was a break or flat water spot that could hold only a hand full of people, but its not, plus lets not forget the 7-8 hour drive for most that read this site.

As for waves, it is impossible for Great Sand Bay to be a great wave spot. Eagle River shoals will take most the energy from the swell before the waves hit the beach. Check it on this Chart http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/14964.shtml
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Return to Pictures and Videos