JAWS!

Pictures and Videos of locals or just great shots. Put em here and brag to your buds about your mad skills fo-shizzle.

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

JAWS!

Postby skysurfr » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:36 am

Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Re: JAWS!

Postby FSP » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:30 am

Wait the f a minute, am I seeing straps???? That's funny how when it gets serious it all goes full circle!!! Haaa. Oh f--ing yeah! This is evidence kiting might be the perfect tool for jaws! Getting barreled will be the litmus test were all waiting for on that ya? Man to live thru those guys and just imagining where it will go; for sure to outer space!!!
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby jensmadwind » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:22 am

very excited to see the straps i see. whats the big deal, its obviously extreme off side off wind with choppy faces, you seem surprised to see the straps?

I would like to hear what evidence you see in this video that would make kiting the perfect tool for jaws? Of all the tools to use to ride big(monster) waves , it pains me to say this, kiting looks the worst out of all imo.

http://www.youtube.com/attribution_link ... re%3Dshare max success meets max pain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4znK_XdzUM unbelievable
10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Postby FSP » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:58 pm

jensmadwind wrote:whats the big deal,

the tow in guys are able to ride small boards on big waves obviously cuz iof the speed from the whip. the small boards open up more potential due to the precision that can be accessed. that said, i havnt seen the kind of inverted drop hacks off the lip and critical turns i thought they would blow out at this point? who knows why? maybe going out of fashion? laird is getting older? :D but the excitement for straps and precision in the boards is simply being able to ge more dynamic (as in boots vs straps regarding wake) :D ?

Dont get me wrong, that dorian (as if i know himm :D ) is so daring and so much a barrel artist at jaws paddling in, but is there far more criticalness to come from straps that give more to leveraging and control to go where that cant.

I can also understand that the pinnacle to the big wave movement is the drop and making the barrel. Awesome! BUT...is there something more? greater, bigger and explosive that has not been realized yet that might be found in more precise tools?

The tow guys seem to be more out of fashion now, but i think it will come back to this and they will take this all out of bounds! As for the kiters, I see in the clip,not the final product but the potential to some of the most perfect combo of tools to go more precise at the harshest sections, control over speed via a kite to use small boards to further get into those predicaments. Straps to further lock in and commit to parts of the wave that may bump you off due to less than perfect cross chop.

A prone surfer needs jaws to be so perfect which does not happen that much to even attempt. a kiter can adapt and and expand on his tools to meet the ever changing speed of a swell or size of a set not to mentionn all the other variations to then address critical challenges that others may never even get to contemplate. Call it cheating but he can further press his commitment by evading a botched set or wrong wave to sort out what will be perfect to attack.

If im not mistaken, I think West and I, had an eye to eye, early on about the use of straps and small boards to be hands down a way to go much harder, more precise, in places of the wave that normally we mght miss out on. I surf and get the surfy feel of being able to float thru sections, move around on the board, but to me there is just more ability to harness the speed and precision to relish parts of the wave i otherwise could not.

I windsurfed at a pretty high level riding waves all over and sooooooo loving that clip you have. kiting may seem superior at this point due to barrel potentail with the same powerful precision but man its all so good and unlikely you would ever see the polakow dropping his straps at jaws or small hookipa which is now a new thing for windsurfing
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby FSP » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:35 pm

i spoke too soon: strapped is alive and well...holy christmas!!

http://www.surfline.com/video/webisodes ... ess_106088
FSP
Zen Levitator

Postby V » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:18 am

Nice vid. Reminds me of a special spot...! Snap

Of course you need straps in that...why would anyone think something else?
V
Unstrapped!

Return to Pictures and Videos