kiting video 60+mph

Pictures and Videos of locals or just great shots. Put em here and brag to your buds about your mad skills fo-shizzle.

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

kiting video 60+mph

Postby dckiteboards » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:50 am

Door County Crew
dckiteboards
Resident Windfreak

Postby BizB » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:03 am

I sure hope that scared the crap out of him.
BizB
Board Monkey

Postby dckiteboards » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:29 am

as I stated on the the other forum

"if I lived there and saw this redneck doing this i would have went over to him and cut all his lines.....and his kite , slashed his tires... etc
you get the point

what a crock ."
Door County Crew
dckiteboards
Resident Windfreak

Postby ICrider » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:44 pm

ya know...that is absolutely retarded.

at least he wasn't flying an LEI, but still. it just goes to show that old folks can me as big of idiots as the young kids

and FURTHERMORE...here's some advice for newbies....

1. board leashes are lame. you shouldn't be out kiting until your comfortable bodydragging up wind to your board. and if you think the waves are to big, or the current to strong or whatever and b'c of that you can't body drag upwind to your board, it's a good indication that you shouldn't be out riding that day.

2. I've never thought about this, but if you were to use a board leash shouldn't you hook it up to yourself after you've launched your kite, just incase you get dragged around at all.
ICrider
Adrenaline Junkie

Postby V » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:40 pm

ICrider, that kite was definitely too big. I flew those before getting my first slingshots. It looked like a 2003 Peter Lynn ARC 1120. Basically like a 10-11m inflato. It may have been an ARC 840, but when he was standing near it it looked kinda big.

The ARC guys usually all have front line leashes set on a sliding ring, so if he was a kook, he probably got a good leash system on the kite that would "flag" the kite when deployed.

I think the leash on the board was a good idea, since in overpowered conditions, you need a leash or you will drag away from your board. Usually the kite will drag you further downwind than the board gets blown, so you drag back to shore and lost your board for good. Better to have it leashed, but maybe not on shore. But this fool never made it inot the water. In fact, he was flying his kite toward land!

The BIGGEST thing about this fool was the reverse straight-downwind launch from the hot zone in 40+ mph winds. I don't think this was 60+. There were people walking the beach. In 60+ you can barely stand. But still, having flown ARCs the reverse launch is usually fairly safe if you know what you're doing, but this guy didn't, and not in these winds! The kite wasn't filled, the thing was flapping, he coulda got bsuted up badly. Homey dangling off his asss woulda got chucked like a rag-doll and lost his grip if that kite started remotely spiraling.

A disaster waiting to happen. Hey, what are you doiing this weekend? Lets launch in 50 mph with a kite way too big and videotape it for everyone! LOL
V
Unstrapped!

Postby V » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:44 pm

Regards to the board leash, a good idea to prevent from losing your board for good. But yeah, agree they are a hazardous piece of equipment. The board will snap back in your face and we've seen the pics of people with 40+ stitches that get whacked by it every once in a while. ANd helmets don't protect your face.

Regardless, in super overpowered conditions, a board leash will prevent you from losing your board, but its not good to be out at all.

In super light conditions, a board leash is for sure a good idea. Too light to ride upwind and you can't get upwind to your board, a board leash will prevent that and you're not doing anything to get hurt in light winds by a board leash any way...
V
Unstrapped!

Postby Artem » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:33 pm

Board leashes are a super bad idea. Adam the driver of the best bus when I was talking to him he had a board leash in 2002 and he was overpowered on a 9m kite and guess what the board did come back and hit him in face he had to get like 10 or some stiches to stich it up. It's not only your head it is also your neck, face, arms, legs, toes, fingers and any part of your body except your head. And the wind can't be 60++ I was a warren dunes one time it was blowing san like that and I was powered on my 7m. So I don't think it was 60++++ it was probably 30-40 knots.
Last edited by Artem on Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black 2011 12m North Vegas, Orange Best HP Nemesis 7m, 134cm Naish Thorn, 8'6 surfboard
-------------------------------------------------------
Artem
Artem
Boosticus Maximus

Postby Bob » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:39 pm

all i could see in the video was that front end loader 200 yards straight downwind.

thought for sure the guy was heading right towards it.

yep...most of us do stupid things every once in while. the smart ones just don't get video taped. lol.
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby dckiteboards » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:43 pm

there has been many comments on the title "60+."

I definitly realize its not 60+ . Its a repost from another forum.... I didnt change the title.

heres 60+ and I do believe he is standing/ walking, barely!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czazfwci1vE
happy new year!
Door County Crew
dckiteboards
Resident Windfreak

Postby snowball » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:11 pm

looks more like 40+ if it was 60+ he would of had snowboard goggels on not just sunglasses. i ride with a board leash for many reasons. If you're a half a mile off shore try body dragging back in if its cold that could be deadly. or lets say something happens out there and you get seperated from your kite, then you still have atleast a board to float on. its also just realy convenient to have a leash. i dont ride overpowered and i always wear a helmet too though. its also a little safer for others like boaters and swimmers since a kiter who cant ride away fast from a boat or a person since there boards way upwind of them is dangerous. Also if youre not working you cant just buy another board everytime you lose one. but a leash also can be very dangerous too soooo.....
snowball
Boosticus Maximus

Postby Artem » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:21 pm

Yeah, I see the advantages of a leash but pretty soon your going to have lose the leash you don't want to be boosting 20 foot airs with a leash. So I never wore a leash and never will. I think it is super dangerous if you jump. Maybe it is okay when your underpowered or powered but if you are lit or like to be overpowered like me it is just a big danger. It is actually much easier to drag upwind when your overpowered. I fell a bunch of times on my last session at W when it was 18-25 I was on my 16m. All you have to do is when you fall don't try and go against the kite go with it you will stop faster and get in control. But with bow kites it may be different because you can depower when you fall.
Black 2011 12m North Vegas, Orange Best HP Nemesis 7m, 134cm Naish Thorn, 8'6 surfboard
-------------------------------------------------------
Artem
Artem
Boosticus Maximus

Postby ChicagoGlobeRider » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:59 pm

what a retard, i was wonder if he was "going to shit or get off the pot".
I also love the hot launch idea in those winds"lol". Bob should use that video for there madison kiteboarding website, under the dangers of kiteboarding. That guy would of been ripped down that beach so fast if his buddy lost his grip.
ChicagoGlobeRider
Kite Crew in Training

Postby ChicagoGlobeRider » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:16 pm

Heres another video of stupid people.

enjoy :lol:

http://kitewatch.com/supermanager.php?f ... =1152&cat=
ChicagoGlobeRider
Kite Crew in Training

Postby Misfit » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:10 am

Hey All,
Sorry but I gotta chime in on this one.

Whether its 30+, 40+, 50+, or 60+ this is a darwin award for sure.

Repeat after me: No Leashes, No Leashes, No Leashes. One constant we all know (too well) is that the wind is never a constant..... it can do anything. Even in light wind i'd advise agasinst using a leash cause the wind could spike and send u tea-bagging across the water with a board shaped yo-yo banging off of your head. Having said that I know that there are some people that insist on using them so this is information is for them. Please always use a helmet and impact vest if you are using a leash. Also, Connect the leash to the board with some small nylon tiestraps that snap under load to avoid the recoil. You may have to swim a little bit more than if you use a hard connect but it will save you from serious injury.

Just a thought

Cory
Misfit
Wind Whore

Return to Pictures and Videos