Telluride Snowkite

Pictures and Videos of locals or just great shots. Put em here and brag to your buds about your mad skills fo-shizzle.

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Telluride Snowkite

Postby STF » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:27 pm

Local spot in Telluride CO.

http://vimeo.com/9218656
STF
Boosticus Maximus

Postby zulutimer » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:27 am

Nice Aaron.
I've already planned a ski trip there next year since they now opened up the west ridge to further backcountry access. This is just another reason to go! You'll have to let me know where this is.

I'm going skiing to Alta next week and in March. I hope to get some kiting footage from the mecca spot - Skyline!

paul
Paul
zulutimer
Kite Crew in Training

Postby STF » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:10 pm

Paul:

Telluride is really changing for the better. They have doubled the size of the ski mountain in the last few years, and have opened back country access gates that were long closed. The back country that is assessable from the ski mountain now is with no doubt in my mind the best back country skiing in the lower 48. Some really heavy stuff. A few guys (ski patrollers), just a few days ago got swept up in an avalanche, though lived with some broken bones.

I would look at flying in to Durango (2 hrs to the south and my college town) or Montrose or Grand Junction. All these airports being cheaper to fly into then Tellurides airport. I find Durango airport is the cheapest to get into.

Holler at me if you got some more questions.

If you all have never been to Tride, go, it is one of the most beautiful cites in America.

A.Schiff
STF
Boosticus Maximus

Postby JDL » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:56 pm

The opening of backcountry gates across the entire US has been long over due but the progress is welcome. The San Juans are, without question, one of the more spectacular and stunning ranges of the world. I have no slackcountry or touring experience in the area of Telluride but I will after reading this post. The accessibility to the Teton range from Jackson Hole has always set the bar, in my mind, in the lower 48. Thanks for the info....

Ski fast and take chances...
JDL
Wind Chaser

Postby STF » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:08 pm

Also,

The town of Silverton is a short drive away on one of the most amazing highways in the world (550 or million dollar hwy), and the newest ski mountain in the country is located here http://www.silvertonmountain.com/page/home

i just snowboarded this mt for my first time last year and WOW, it is now the best lift accessible mountain i have skied, err snowboarded.

And it seems there are some wonderful places to snowkite in Silverton.

as seen in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHFp6CP9Lgg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksITNeuVEA8

STF
STF
Boosticus Maximus

Postby zulutimer » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:02 pm

Been there a couple times and looking forward to going back! Skiing is my primary sport and clipping onto a kite just adds to the thrills!!

JH is definitely the best for sure but nothing beats laGrave, France (excluding heliskiing Alaska) for lift accessed backcountry. Have been there 5 of the last 9 years. I began skiing there with Doug Coombs, before he passed away. so I got to see a lot there.
If you're on FB check out a 10 minute ski movie/pics I posted (paul salzetta) from last last year. 10 minutes away from laGrave is the Col de Lautaret where Chasta snowkites - might be the best mountain spot in the world.
Paul
zulutimer
Kite Crew in Training

Postby JDL » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:57 pm

Doug, forever, changed my life. I was a ten year client who skied over 50 days w/ him in the Tetons, La Grave and AK. His influence on my life is perpetual and not a day passes which I don't think of him. I am certain he is stoked w/ our kiting. I still ski w/ some of his family in Jackson.

Drop me a PM....let's make some turns...

John
JDL
Wind Chaser

Return to Pictures and Videos