Gun Lake 8-7-10

Pictures and Videos of locals or just great shots. Put em here and brag to your buds about your mad skills fo-shizzle.

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Gun Lake 8-7-10

Postby dewsy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:02 pm

pics from the weekend at gun lake, launched from the pontoon boat, landed and loaded on the pontoon as well, beach was too crowded for safe launch plus good practice for future ;)

^^^^ Just trying to hold it down ^^^^
Layin it out.. God I love my Speed III

stay tuned for another set in a couple days.. different cam..

-dewsy
Last edited by dewsy on Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
dewsy
Master of Kite

Re: Gun Lake 8-7-10

Postby Mr » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:42 pm

dewsy wrote:pi.... plus good practice for future ;)

-dewsy

That's what I'm talking about. Many other locations boat launch...why not.

What kind of winds did you have in these pics?
Mr
Board Slinger

Postby jensmadwind » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:14 am

he is riding a large foil with a large light wind board, and there are no whitecaps. So I would guess not a whole lot of wind.
10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Postby dewsy » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:38 am

13 gusting to 18kts.. just a 15m Speed III which I often ride when others have their 12's out.. there was enough wind to make the water striped with bubbles on top in the middle of the lake..

reason for the door is I didn't want to have to go back across the lake to get my Shinn Wave.. or run out of wind if it dropped (not much room on the pontoon either) at times it was VERY tough to hold it down.. check out the position of the kite, in most of my pics it's right at the top of the window so I wasn't screaming out of control..

-dewsy
dewsy
Master of Kite

Postby West » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:31 am

Good pics. Never been to Gun Lake. Read about the snowkiting there in the winter, heard it is pretty good!!

A definite sign of progression........kiting under control while dragging your front hand in the water.....helps with leverage and loosens up your stance. Nice riding..... 8)

Glad you are having fun and kiting safely. Careful with the boat launches when the wind picks up a bit, they become trickier as the wind increases.
West
Wind Whore

Postby schuss8899 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:46 pm

Well done, dews.....the foil makes for a friendly pontoon launch, any rubber neckers get their propellers in your way....?
schuss8899
Resident Windfreak

Postby dewsy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:31 am

Wow, thanks West.. it's a GREAT spot for snowkiting, i'll post some pics I had taken of me last winter..

Schuss, yeah there were.. Guys love to take their pontoons loaded with 10 people over to check out the kiting.. they're also not up-to-date on their right of way rules, I imagine kiters have the right of way because we have less maneuverability than powered craft do.. but I do have to say that there are some good boaters out there who love to watch at a safe distance, even had a couple jetskiers come over when the kite tacoed at the end of my second session on Sunday to see if I needed help and to bring back my board..

-dewsy
dewsy
Master of Kite

Postby Misfit » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:38 am

I imagine kiters have the right of way because we have less maneuverability than powered craft do

Dewsey, actually you're under rules of sailing when kiting so you do have the right of way over powered craft. Now, I've always been told to not push that cause if a power boater refuses to give way and you stick to the rules and hold your ground, well.... I think the boat would win.

Anyway, great photo's! Keep em coming!

Cory
Forum Nerd. I like to talk a lot but don't get out much.
Misfit
Wind Whore

Postby gbleck » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:49 am

Ah yes the tonnage exception. You may have rights but if the other boat can hit you and turn you into bubbles without noticing then they have right of way. :)
Me = 145lb + 6" + (15M spd3 dlx, 11M x-bow, Kahoona 9.5M, 7.5V2) + Zap skim, home made 133 orange carbon aka Bifrost, home made black 170x50 cabon racing light wind tt, 133 wide tip carbon) + red helmet
gbleck
Master of Kite

Postby Misfit » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:11 pm

You may have rights but if the other boat can hit you and turn you into bubbles without noticing then they have right of way. Smile

Exactly my point. :D

Cory
Forum Nerd. I like to talk a lot but don't get out much.
Misfit
Wind Whore

jump over!

Postby nG » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:01 pm

jump over them!
G
nG
Master of Kite

Postby dewsy » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:00 pm

the rest of those pics i promised..

See you all tomorrow..

-dewsy