starting up

If you got some new digs, thinkin its gonna help your kiting step-up to the next level, blow out your used gear here and watch that grom shred harder than you on your old kite.

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

starting up

Postby oceanpony » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:17 pm

Hello everyone,
I am investigating the sport of kitesurfing for my brother-in-law. I am a normal h2o surfer myself and as I have been looking into kitesurfing, the equipment setup decisions seem a bit more complicated than just a board and a wet suit :) .

He's about 6 feet, 200lbs. I have a friend that can give him some lessons and let my brother-in-law use his board. But I heard that he should probably get his own kite and harness to practice with just on the ground.

So I'm looking into buying him some used equipment, and so all tips, hits, and offers are quite welcome.

Thanks!
X-tine
oceanpony

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:05 am

if he wants to practice flying on the ground get him a trainer kite, the Inflatable kites don't like to be flown while standing still on the ground, they're designed to be flown while the person controlling them is moving.

the best thing to do is have your brother in law take lessons.

if he takes lessons near his home his coach can help him get hooked up with gear that'll work for the conditions where he rides a lot.

but if your just itching to buy him something, maybe for x-mas, start with the harness. I have a dakine tabu (go XL for him)...get a standard spreader bar and a dakine bar pad...your on your way at least.

also, buy him an intro to kiteboarding dvd...it's no substitute for lessons but will give him a few good pointers for when the time comes.

Return to Kiteboarding Equipment for Sale