Re-Sticking Footbeds?

If you got some new digs, thinkin its gonna help your kiting step-up to the next level, blow out your used gear here and watch that grom shred harder than you on your old kite.

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Re-Sticking Footbeds?

Postby SmoothDusty » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:56 pm

Hi all,

Any tips on a good way to re-stick the footbeds onto my board? They are peeling up really bad and I want to clean them off/restick them.

I seem to remember someone (maybe Cory) telling me how to do it - something about using alcohol??? or something else to clean off all the old stickiness and then using some kind of spray adhesive?

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Dustin
SmoothDusty
Resident Windfreak

Postby Misfit » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:08 am

Try Turpentine to clean the adhesive off the board. Follow up with alcohol to get all of the leftover turpentine residue off the board to have a clean surface for the pads to stick to. Lightly Spray adhesive on the board where u are going to stick the pads and directly on the bottom of the pad. Wait for 10 minutes for the adhesive to get tacky. Stick and clamp the pads where u want them. If done right this method works as good as the factory adhesive.
Hope this helps
Cory
Misfit
Wind Whore

Postby SmoothDusty » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:02 am

Thanks Cory!

Any recommendations for a type of adhesive to buy/not buy?
SmoothDusty
Resident Windfreak

Postby Misfit » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:12 am

No Problem.
The adhesive i have is "duro" spray adhesive. That worked well for me. I don't think you'll have to look around for this brand just look for any spray adhesive n give it a try. Anything 3M brand has always worked well in the past. Btw, the best way to make em stick is: 1. a clean surface to stick to, 2. LIGHT layer of adhesive.
Hope this helps
Cory
Misfit
Wind Whore

Postby sol-flyer » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:04 pm

just to mention,...do not use a heat gun to "tack" the adhesive. and find some quik clamps for holding the pad securely in place.
sol-flyer
Pump Master

Postby D_Clark » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:10 pm

a tip is to lay the board out in the sun first and warm it up. this is most important when putting on self stick pads, but it doesn't hurt when using spray glue.
D_Clark
Pump Master

Return to Kiteboarding Equipment for Sale