Helmets?

If you got some new digs, thinkin its gonna help your kiting step-up to the next level, blow out your used gear here and watch that grom shred harder than you on your old kite.

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Helmets?

Postby DavidL » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:19 pm

Anyone favor their helmet? Not sure who makes nice helmets for Kiteboarding.

Thanks
David
DavidL
Kiter Noob

Postby Nygs » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:13 pm

My Ace wake helmet fits the bill.

Nygs
Master of Kite

Postby thrmldlite » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:10 am

I use my old protect helmut from the glory days of hawk, natas, cabalero...You should wear a helmut (well always wear a helmut) when riding in surf the chance of your board getting caught up in a wave and slamming you are great...
thrmldlite
Zen Levitator

Postby skysurfr » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:39 am

I have an issue with the new helmets. They are all cut high aroung the ears. The first thing you go when you geet the board comming at you is automatically turn your head. It's instinctive. Then you take a board in the ear....the foam padding isnt enough.

I still use my old helmet too, as I can't find one without the cutouts.

Mike
Mike

2007- Naish Thorn, Torch 16/12, 2008 10M Alliance. '07 Naish Thorn 144 Cape Doctor. Naish Midwest Team. GoPro Cameras! Red Helmet and Fashionable Football Shirt. :-)
skysurfr
Board Beotch

Postby V » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:06 am

Mike, have you had an issue with the helmet catching water on a big spill and tweaking your neck. On many of my sessions (I never wear a helmet) my neck hurts afterwards from some pretty hard spills trying new stuff. I'm thinking a helmet would make it worse. Got any comment on that? I know you wear yours every session and forgot to ask you last time I saw you. I was thinking of getting one for Corpus with the shallow waters.
V
Unstrapped!

Postby D_Clark » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:07 pm

I would agree that its hard to find a helmet with proper protection. I want a full cut helmet and I'm using a pro-tec right now, but it doesn't have good severe crash protection, I want one with bike helmet style foam on the inside to suck up a major blow.

Here is a picture of what I'm using.

I'm looking at kayaking helmets because they look like a good solution. I of the belief that a helmet should be required kiteboarding equipement. I did get a kick out of watching the pros in Autofocus bounce thier heads off of the rails with out helmets. I think that there ins't a good reason to not wear a helmet. I wear one to protect my head, and to keep my expensive sunglasses on my head too.

If anyone finds a good helmet for guys with big heads let me know.

- DC
D_Clark
Pump Master

Postby DavidL » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:45 pm

Thanks for all the replies, I found another company that makes some pretty sweet nocker covers.

Check it out

www.gathsports.com
DavidL
Kiter Noob

Postby V » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:19 am

Gath are pretty expensive. I'm not sure the cost of these here, but check these out. The first one looks like it would catch a lot of water, I wouldn't wear it, but the second one looks pretty good and the ears are protected but there's a big hole to allow you to hear and reorient while rotating...:

http://www.mystickiteboarding.com/

V
Unstrapped!

Return to Kiteboarding Equipment for Sale