getting started

If you got some new digs, thinkin its gonna help your kiting step-up to the next level, blow out your used gear here and watch that grom shred harder than you on your old kite.

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

getting started

Postby chakkuchan » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:58 am

I'm just getting into this fabulous sport. I'm a 215 lb. male and dont' have any equipment. So far I have plans to practice mostly at North Beach in St. Jospeh Michigan, but other places like the Indiana Dunes, Michigan City, far up in Michigan and also up north of Chicago all sound like possibilities.

I really need a kite first off, b/c I wanna get really good with the kite before I even hit the water. I also have a lighter friend who will be learning with me (guessing 155 lbs.) so anything I can point out for him to get put on this thread too please :)
chakkuchan
Adrenaline Junkie

Postby V » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:19 am

If you want to get good with the kite first, please consider a trainer on busy beaches. Big kite flying on land is not recommended anywhere, really.

But you might want to consider a flat kite. These have been getting great reviews lately for beginners (more forgiving). Get a SS turbo diesel, best waroo, or cabrinha contra (14m. These are the three best flat kites on the market. Or get a used 16m kite so you can use it in higher winds (15-20) and your buddy can use it in lighter winds (12-15) to ride. To practice use it in a few mph less winds.
V
Unstrapped!

Postby kris » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:38 pm

[quote="V"]If you want to get good with the kite first, please consider a trainer on busy beaches. Big kite flying on land is not recommended anywhere, really.

V, I assume you meant "none" busy beaches?
kris
Boosticus Maximus

Postby chakkuchan » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:09 am

I bought one of these T-foil trainer kites and will start practicing as soon as it arrives.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220002584942

After I practice for a bit I'm looking at getting a 15m or a 17m kite, and am looking for a slingshot SX 139 if anybody has one for sale.
chakkuchan
Adrenaline Junkie

Return to Kiteboarding Equipment for Sale