TAWAS ADVENTURE!!! JULY 13-18

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

TAWAS ADVENTURE!!! JULY 13-18

Postby Like To Kite » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:27 am

Get ready for a spectacular long weekend of kiting at an amazing kite spot, East Tawas, MI! We are planning on heading there on the evening of Wednesday, July 13th and coming home the evening of Monday, July 18th. Everyone is welcome to join us for any length of time.

Camp with us or rent a cabin. The more the merrier and we usually end up with an extremely fun group to kite and hang out with. We'll be bringing the kiting expedition RV. I have some spare camping equipment so if anyone needs to borrow anything just let me know.

Some nights, we will be camping at Tawas Point State Park which is right next to the kite spot. However, Friday and Saturday night is full at the State Park. We can pitch our tents on our friend's property Friday and Saturday night. Also, there is always the option to camp for free at the National Forest about 15 minutes away.

The trip is usually pretty inexpensive. We all bring some food and sometimes cook together. We split camping fees between 4 people at each campsite at the state park and at our friend's house a small donation or a jug of rum is much appreciated. :D

We will run out of space at our campsites. If you are planning on coming it would be helpful if you can try to make a reservation at the campground. To make campground reservations:
http://www.midnrreservations.com/Search ... ?ParkID=62

If you would prefer not to camp there are also many different options of places to stay in the area. We've stayed a few different cabins in the past.

Timberlane is affiliated with Motor City Kiteboarding and is right down the street from the State Park where we are camping and riding. Please mention that you are a kiteboarder for a discount.
http://www.timberlaneresorts.com/

We've also had good luck at cabins down the road a bit, about 15 minutes away. Here's the link:
http://woodlandbeachcottages.com/

We've also stayed in a cabin right at the State Park, basically two bunk beds in a room.

Ride sharing usually works out well too. Some people only come for the weekend so there are different options depending on what your schedule is. It would be helpful for coordinating if you post your plans here.

I will be teaching lessons and there are also people coming just for fun, to ride and improve. It is the perfect spot for learning and any level of riding. Flat water and shallow over a huge area. This spot works in every wind direction because you can kite on both sides of the bay. Wind is more consistent at Tawas because it is thermal dependant. Ignore the forecast, you have to know what to look for. If you see any warm/sunny conditions with any Southerly flow, it is pretty much a sure thing. Some other conditions bring wind too. There have been so many times that the Chicago area had no wind and we got it good in Tawas.

I'm happy to help anyone out anytime. Always happy to provide occasional tips and lessons are also available. Please let me know as soon as possible if you would like to schedule a lesson during the trip. We'll have lots of demo gear ready to ride too. Ozone, Royal, Spleene, CrazyFly and BroKite Boards!!!

We always have a great time! Here are some pics from one of last year's trips:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9181

It is about a 6.5 drive from Chicago.
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Chicago,+IL&daddr=686+Tawas+Beach+Road,+East+Tawas,+Michigan+48730+(Tawas+Point+Lighthouse)&hl=en&ll=42.932296,-85.539551&spn=4.544255,10.821533&sll=42.94574,-85.700742&sspn=4.543069,10.821533&geocode=FWICfwIdGuDG-inty_TQPCwOiDEAwMAJrabgrw%3BFV5CowIdaqkG-yGxcRt7dpELOw&mra=pd&t=h&z=7

Hope you can make it, would be great to have you there!
Amanda
http://www.LikeToKite.com
(773) 672-3210
Like To Kite
Resident Windfreak

Re: RIDE SHARE? TAWAS ADVENTURE!!! JULY 13-18:

Postby oceanwalker » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:38 pm

hey folks,

is anybody thinking of going to tawas (from chicago) on thursday and got car & space? i'd be happy to split all costs, and i can help driving too. i may be open to wednesday or friday, too.

thanks!

-stan
13.5m naish cult 2010 | 9m naish x-1 sle 2007
oceanwalker
Board Monkey

Re: TAWAS ADVENTURE!!! JULY 13-18

Postby dbur » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:28 pm

I'll will be heading to Tawas on Thursday the 14th... see you guys there, and lets hope there is wind.

Dimitry
Kahoona '09 9.5 white, 13.5 gold, 137 BRO
dbur
Resident Windfreak

Postby Jimbo » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:10 pm

Hey Amanda, Like to kite

Ryan and I would like to come down to camp Fri and sat night maybe sun night too but not sure at this time. We would like to camp with all the kiters so
It looks like your friends property would be the choice. Do we need reservations? Bathrooms? Etc..
Also have room in van to take one more Kiter. Pm me
8)
Jim
Jimbo
Kite Crew in Training

Postby seblue » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:59 pm

Anybody want to carpool on Friday afternoon to go up to Tawas. I got the OK to go for the weekend. Like Jimbo I want to come up Friday and come back Sunday night or really early on Monday so I can get to work by 6am.

If anyone is doing the same let me know so we can go together.
07 SlingShot 15M Link,13M Fuel
6.2 M FelxiFoil Blade, MBS Comp 95 Pro
Sean 630-939-5001
seblue
Resident Windfreak

Postby suribe » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:34 pm

I am in the same situation, I have to leave some point on Friday afternoon (after I get out of work) and be back on monday morning. Jimbo, is this ok with you? Also is there anyway we can fit another person in your car (so both seblu and I can fit?) if not, well have to figure something else out. Seblu incase Jimbo does not have space for both of us, would you be interested in carpooling together? We have a similar situation, in that both of us have to be back in chicago early morning on Monday.

Thanks, and I'll be checking the post regularly! - Sergio
suribe
Sand Bagger

Postby Like To Kite » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:27 pm

This is shaping up to be an excellent trip! Conditions look like it will really come through for us this weekend. Lots of friendly people will be there camping and sharing in the kiting fun. So excited to be there soon! :D

There are a combination of accommodation options. 12 people have confirmed that they are going on the trip and 5 more are possible. We are a few too many to all go to our friend's property. So, most of us will be camping at the Tawas Point State Park, some may still stay at the friend's property, and for anyone that is interested there is always the free National Forest and many cabin options.

We have made some reservations at the Tawas Point State Park. We have one campsite Wednesday until Sunday night. Another campsite only for Friday night and looking to grab more spots for Friday and Saturday night. I am continuing to check online because many people make cancellations leading up to the weekend so they don't lose all the reservation fees. There is plenty of availability at the state park on all nights except Friday and Saturday. If you see any spots become available for those nights please grab them and let me know. Ideally, we could use one more spot on Friday night and two more on Saturday. We always have great luck any day of the week doing a walk up reservation so that is a last minute option for anyone that still needs a spot this weekend. When splitting the campsites between 4 people it will be under $10 per night per person at the state park.

One more thing to know about is the Recreation Passport that is required at all Michigan State Parks. Out-of-state residents are required to purchase a $29 annual Motor Vehicle Permit, or $8 Daily permit. If you plan on visiting any other Michigan State Parks or coming to Tawas again, it may be worth buying the annual pass. You need the same pass at Little Sable Point and some other kite spots as well.

Unfortunately Stan had to cancel for this weekend, this might affect some of you that are looking to carpool. Unsure exactly where the plans are for that right now, maybe you already have the rides all worked out. If you need any assistance from me arranging a ride share, I am happy to help, just let me know.

Hopefully anyone that couldn't make it this time can come at a different time with us. We have Tawas trips planned for August and September too.
Future Tawas Dates
August 11-15
September 8-12

For people looking to take lessons it should be a very fun and rewarding experience at Tawas! I still have availability at this point for a couple more students so please let me know right away if you are interested if you haven't confirmed already.

Looking forward to having a great time with you at Tawas!

Happy Kiting!
Amanda
(773) 672-3210
Like To Kite
Resident Windfreak

Postby Jimbo » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:20 pm

Hey guys here's the deal,

I will leave on Fri early afternoon since we will be camping I would like to get there around 7 so we can set up our tent and gear. Kite on sat and sun and leave early Mon morning around 7. The camp ground is full at the state park so not sure where to camp yet, either east tawas city park campground which is a first come first serve campground or the property of Amandas friend. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have room for two others depending on all the gear taken and I have an extra tent if needed. 8)
Jim
Jimbo
Kite Crew in Training

Postby Like To Kite » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:07 pm

Jim, I counted you and Ryan within the count of 12 people. You are welcome to stay at the State Park with us. We have always been able to make walk-up reservations when we get there, I think they leave some sites open for this sole purpose. In the off chance that the state park really is unavailable then come with us to our friend's place. Also, there is always free camping in the National Forest just North of the kite spot. The east tawas city park campground is for RVs only.

Looking forward to seeing you there!
Amanda
(773) 672-3210
Like To Kite
Resident Windfreak

Postby seblue » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:49 pm

Still have not found someone to carpool with that wants to leave Friday afternoon after 330. Call me if you are serious about going and carpooling together.
Sean 630-939-5001
seblue
Resident Windfreak

Postby Jimbo » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:56 pm

Awesome! :lol: Its going to be a great time at Tawas.
Jim
Jimbo
Kite Crew in Training

Postby WaWaZat » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:17 am

Heading out either Thur eve or early Fri morn, depending on how efficiently I can crank out orders today & tomor, and planning to stay through Monday. I have an extra room in a full amenity cabin if someone wants to share. It's on the bay, about a 10 min drive from the launch. Call/text if interested; 708.341.0003

Off to see the wizard!!
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby nG » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:56 am

got a cabin! i'll be there friday before noon ;) no more room for carpool, cause it'll be bringing 3 girls, but see ya'll there! :)
G
nG
Master of Kite

Postby seblue » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:44 pm

I am not able to go gotta work while it is there. If some people do a trip in September hopefully I can go.

I did connect people that called so they could carpool.

Have Fun
Sean 630-939-5001
seblue
Resident Windfreak

Postby Like To Kite » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:06 pm

Rollin down the road towards Tawas in the kiting expedition RV, Living Large!

The camping plans have been simplified with a couple of cancellations and Mike getting a cabin for his group. For the people that I have had direct contact with, we'll be staying at Tawas Point State Park campground. On Friday and Saturday, Stephen, Jeff, Karolis and I will be at site #196. On Friday, Sergio, Nick, Jim, and Ryan should go to site #114. Sergio, I'll have a tent set up waiting for you there :) When I am at the state park office tomorrow morning I'll get you guys a site for Saturday.

If anyone else is looking for accommodations please let me know and I'll see what I can do to help. Mike may have room in his cabin for anyone interested too.

Looking forward to being there with all of you!

Happy Kiting!
Amanda
(773) 672-3210
Like To Kite
Resident Windfreak

Postby JCN » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:44 pm

I plan on leaving mid to late-day on Friday and coming back on Monday evening if anyone wants a ride. call me 773-440-1120
Jeff
JCN
Chop Wrestler

Postby kytbord » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:19 am

I'd like to go. I can't leave (work in Waukegan, NW suburbs) until Friday around 4 pm

Anyone wanna' carpool? I will be driving back Sunday as I have jury duty (ugh) Monday at 9.

Amanda - is there room for my tent somewhere? If not, Mike - have room in the cabin for one more?

If neither of those pan out, I'll try the cabins / cottages down the road or get a hotel room.

Jim
8four7-7seven2-1zero7eight
kytbord
Pump Master

Postby Jimbo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:46 am

Thanks Amanda for the camp site reservation and all the prep you are doing for this trip. It is much appreciated. :D
Jim
Jimbo
Kite Crew in Training

Postby WaWaZat » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:50 am

kytbord wrote:I'd like to go. I can't leave (work in Waukegan, NW suburbs) until Friday around 4 pm

Anyone wanna' carpool? I will be driving back Sunday as I have jury duty (ugh) Monday at 9.

Amanda - is there room for my tent somewhere? If not, Mike - have room in the cabin for one more?

If neither of those pan out, I'll try the cabins / cottages down the road or get a hotel room.

Jim

Yep! Call/text
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby kytbord » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:55 am

Anyone already there? How's the wind?

.....were you able to do any kiting?
8four7-7seven2-1zero7eight