TAWAS ADVENTURE!!! JULY 13-18

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Re: TAWAS ADVENTURE!!! JULY 13-18

Postby 4w7s » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:26 am

Plenty of forecast and weather data resources out there.

Pretty much reflects what has been in the forecast for last several days.

Maybe some miracle will occur. Otherwise, happy camping (?) I guess.

http://www.ikitesurf.com/windandwhere.i ... ast+Graphs

http://www.ikitesurf.com/windandwhere.i ... +Yesterday

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... =graphical

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby kytbord » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:56 am

forecast ain't so good and actuals match forecast: http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=tawm4

Amanda? still going? Mike? Sergio? Dmitry? Ryan, Jim? Are we hoping for thermal winds?

For the record, the last time Dutch and I planned a Tawas trip, we canceled per forecast... Then, the locals told us they kited Saturday and Sunday both...
8four7-7seven2-1zero7eight
kytbord
Pump Master

Postby 4w7s » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:49 pm

Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby IVO » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:38 pm

kytbord wrote:forecast ain't so good and actuals match forecast: http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=tawm4

Amanda? still going? Mike? Sergio? Dmitry? Ryan, Jim? Are we hoping for thermal winds?

For the record, the last time Dutch and I planned a Tawas trip, we canceled per forecast... Then, the locals told us they kited Saturday and Sunday both...

Kytboard,I highly respect those who at least hit the road and make a effort to try.I pity folks who have nothing but negative contribution in terms of wind.There are few riders who manage to always stay on the opposite side than me,ohhhh its not gonna be windy,ohhhh I dont think its gonna happend,makes me sick just to heart that,so after some time I choosed my comrades carefully..

What is the worst case scenerio?You gonna hang out with great people whole weekend,see new places,talk kite,kite,kite and maybe learn something new...party,camping,bonfire,sounds like great deal to me buddy!!

btw..looking on the forecast I would say you could score some wind later in the day tmr and sunday should be good as I heard that place works same as other places with thermals and thats a ticket on Sunday,,,,,

miracle :wink:
Kajun Rule #1-Never try to teach a pig to sing.....It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.
IVO
Zen Levitator

Postby 4w7s » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:14 pm

yeah man, fingers crossed for tomo and Sunday. You have to be an eternal optimist in this sport. I go to the beach several times a day just in case of a miracle wind.

beautiful Tawas sunset on webcam...and yeah the fireside camaraderie,kite chit-chat, and s'mores are awesome

I heard the same thing too...you could score some wind later in the day tmr and sunday should be good as I heard that place works same as other places with thermals and thats a ticket on Sunday

I wonder what the proper ingredients are for this to actually happen at Tawas specifically? Anyone?

I believe in miracles too, but there has to be some scientific explanation, or is it just one of the great mysteries of life?

pray for wind comrades
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby WaWaZat » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:59 pm

4w7s wrote:I wonder what the proper ingredients are for this to actually happen at Tawas specifically? Anyone?

South flow, temps above 80 & sun is the basic recipe... and it looks like that's what we have on the menu at least the next couple days!

Amanda shared her 17M Zephyr this eve. That paired w/our Door 59 was the call.
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:02 am

Nothing quite like a road trip to a scenic destination with a group of kite buddies....not knowing the outcome of the trip wind-wise is part of the Magic of the whole expedition. That's what I find makes it so damn special.....ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING!! 8) Enjoy and may the sun greet you with warmth, and the winds fill your sails........Happy Kiting
West
Wind Whore

Postby jensmadwind » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:08 am

west,

what are you doing up at 5 am on a Saturday? you gotta rest them bones
10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:36 am

Just sending some positive vibes up to the peninsula for the crew, if you know what I mean........ :wink:
West
Wind Whore

Postby jensmadwind » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:20 am

i will tell you what I was doing up at 6, watching this new Rocky Chatwell video
http://www.kiteforum.tv/video/Rocky_Cha ... l?Itemid=0

it is sick
10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Postby 4w7s » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:44 pm

Sounds so awesome. Big kites and all that butter - beats watchin videos comrades. I'm so tempted to stoke up the iron genny and head over for some. It's only a 4 hr drive from here.. I like the magical sound of that. Wonder what time it's gonna go off on Sunday? It could be really sick. Yeehaw!
(re thermals) It must have ripped there today then. Supposed to be blazing hot on Sunday. I wonder if the differential in isotropic surfaces and corresponding height contours combined with the temperature gradient is relevant, and would the influences of the Coriolis effect in the northern hemisphere be a factor? Looks like massive weak high pressure extending back from East Coast, isobars really spread out. Does that have any effect I wonder? Maybe better not to over-analyze and just wish the wind to happen.
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby kytbord » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:50 am

Well, it looked like it might be a bust... It started out as a gorgeous day at the beach, 80 degrees, light breeze, some trainer kites up and lots instruction (safety, kite setup, etc. going on. Water so warm no one even considered a wetsuit. Frisbee, nerf football, skim boards, and some weird double-throw game Ryan invented 7;^)

The light breeze was say 4-5 out of the southeast. Then, about 2:45, that started to disappear....

...which apparently disappeared because a thermal was building from the NE. Trainer kites back up, then Nick busted out his 19m Flysurfer Speed 2. Combine that with the homemade "Barn Door" Jimbo brought and we had kiting. It picked up a little more and we eventually had 5 kites up, smallest a 15m Liquid Force Mark from MCK was flying. Jimbo & Ryan flew their Core 17m, another guy has a 19m Flysurfer Speed 2 and there was an Ozone 17m Zephyr up. Looked like a kiting partnership out there, with kites and boards hot swapping every 5 or 10 minutes. Dmitri, Nick, Jason, Ryan, Jimbo, Steve a couple of other folks I don't know all got some time in. Was decent for about 2 hours then it started to fall off. Long walks back up the beach for Nick, Steve and Jimbo when they go caught way down the beach and it fell off and shifted a bit south again.

Sunday's forecast looks better. Here's hoping you read my name in the "got some rides in" after Sunday.
8four7-7seven2-1zero7eight
kytbord
Pump Master

Postby 4w7s » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:00 am

Could be super epic, maybe even some good waves? . Almost there now, just picking up some more marshmallows for some crazy s'more sessions later tonight! It's gonna ROCK. so sweeeeeeet!
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby chillin » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:09 am

Wow, no idea if some of these posts were sarcasm or not at this point but Sunday was Tawas magic (Maybe it was the vibes from West, thanks for getting up so early to help us out!) Headed to the beach around 11 and pumped up the 17m Zephyr and started riding. After an hour I was riding overpowered, rode for another couple hours before coming in to launch the 13m C4 and was lit for the next hour or so! Finally came in and pumped up the 10m for another hour session. Finished the day back on the Zephyr to get another 2 hours on the water. Unbelievable steady Tawas thermal just keep pulling until you give up for the day. At one point while I was riding the Zephyr I saw every kite size from 9m to 19m on the water at the same time. To quote Safety Rick the thermals here are "efficient wind" and even though it feels lighter and you can fly a big kite it will pull just as well on something 3 sizes smaller. I took a long tack out and soaked in the view...perfect sunny day and 30+ kites on the water, simply unbelievable.

What a great crew we had for this trip. Weather the wind was cranking and everyone was hot swapping gear so that we all got to try something new, sitting on the beach, or bullshitting around the campfire(where I found out I am not going to mars) I was having fun.

Thanks everyone, can't wait to get back out on the water.

Stephen

Photos to come as soon as I sort and process 250 of them
Ozone C4, Ozone Edge
Crazyfly Raptor Pro LTD

314-800-6244
chillin
Wind Chaser

Postby WaWaZat » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:07 am

Yep, Sunday was the day that revealed Tawas' magic! Jason, Anne & I loaded in at the crack of noon, just in time for the 13M winds... Annie crankin' upwind on her 10. With the exception of a little beach fraternizing and food breaks, we rode non-stop until just before sunset... me passing my 13 to Annie and Jimbo passing me his 17 for the last half hour or so... thx Jimbo! The Chi crew that were able to push weekday commitments off & extend the weekend one more day ended the evening @ G's Pizzeria for celebratory food, drink, entertaining stories and downright peerless camaraderie... thx for the great time, Amanda, Annie, Dexter ;), Jimbo, Ryan, Stephen & Jason!! At the night's end, my crew & I dragged ourselves back to the cabin, returned a few important emails & slept like rocks!

The aforementioned Chi crew who were able to stick around for Monday, decamped/checked out, independently showed up at the same time and almost without word, lined up along the shoreline like a Walmart grand opening... Jimbo optimistically getting the 17M staged & ready. The setup for the day was certainly forecasted but with the additionally predicted scattered storms, we'd have to play the game. All of us gazing East over the lake, it was almost surreal sitting in such still air in the Land of Oz. After a small storm cloud passed behind us, watching a wind line come at us from the NE bringing maybe 4-5 kts, we knew it would be a matter of dedicating ourselves further to the game but ultimately decided, there will be other days. Each mini crew shook hands and parted ways... Jimbo 2nd guessing the decision to leave in the parking lot. Annie, Jason & I grabbed quick showers in the facility and, with the air still fairly still, decided to head SW.

A small-town ice cream stop and making our way across the state, about 45 mins N of Muskegon, we noticed tree movement. A quick check of wind readings decided us to have a closer look! Almost simultaneously, a text came in from Amanda passing on the news that the Tawas magic did indeed happen... Ryan, Jimbo.. did you get it?! With Amanda & Stephen coming up on MC, they scouted that scene. Meanwhile back up at Muskegon, things were looking promising for Annie, Jason & I. Without hesitation, Jason broke out what seemed our best tools for the job as I introduced myself to a couple Mac Kite locals who were just packing it in. With the local blessing granted we had 3 kites pumped up and big boards standing by. We rode Mother Muskegon alone as the sun came down, until we couldn't ride upwind any longer. 13M's and big Spleens got us about a half hour. A short ride indeed but something about those impromptu session that can still plaster about 3 days worth of smile! Not willing to let the goods times end, we headed to Grand Haven for that evening's celebration. Just in time to catch the musical fountain for a bit, we then headed up to Kirby's rooftop deck.... boys & girls, next time in Grand Haven, you DO NOT wanna miss the Wood Fired Oven menu!!

In the final leg of road trip, Mother Natured wowed & encompassed us with her electric light show from Holland to Benton Harbor before humbling us with 4-5 extreme cloud bursts between there & the So Side. 16 ounces of RockStar kept me focused. It's 4am, the sugar high is finally wearing off and it's home sweet home!

Thank you to the entire Chi crew who committed to the trek for the magnificent weekend... including Jim, Nik, G and the rest of our local crew who got some, then had to high-tail it back to the homestead by Sunday eve. And last but certainly not least, thx to the entire Tawas crew; MCK Mark and his crew, GLK Brian, Safety Rick and the rest of the local kiters who always seem to welcome us with open arms and roll out the tan, sandy carpet! We Chi crew truly appreciate your unselfish sharing of your magical lil' spot! Stephen, you was gettin' down passionately with the heavy duty camera gear Man! Can't wait to see some of the better memories you've forever documented!!

Time to cash in and dream about the next adventure....
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby jensmadwind » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:27 am

yep even with Roberto trying to crap on your stoke, you guys got yours. I guess it is obvious, don't let the scrooges amongst throw a bone in your operation.

Roberto...... what is the point of being such a douche?
10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Postby 4w7s » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:08 am

jensmadwind wrote:yep even with Roberto trying to crap on your stoke, you guys got yours. I guess it is obvious, don't let the scrooges amongst throw a bone in your operation.

Roberto...... what is the point of being such a douche?

whoa wisco brah...where is the pilialoha ? you makin sumpin outta nuttin?. i just got done with a 3 day epic road trip, ripping,toasting and swillin with my kitin komrades: Tawas super shred, Mecca loopin love session and back to my hood for some spanky on apres storm bumps,
why you such a buzzz killer man? you must got some major panties wadded up in your puka lately man :lol: ....chill out and get some wind
...me ke aloha pumehana! 8)
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby Jimbo » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:56 pm

Awsome trip! Thanks all for fun times. Ryan, Jeff and I hung around the parking lot for another 30 min or so waiting for the storm front to pass. Jeff left for the trip home then the sun came out and another thermal kicked in. ( Sent a text to Jeff to come back but no reply) Rushed down to the beach, Ryan on his rebel 14 an me on my obsession 13.5. One last ride! :lol: We tacked our way to the bay area, played around for an hr. Then the wind slowly died out but just enough wind for a down wind ride back. Had some dinner at a local establishment then hit the road. Got home around 1:00 AM this morning.
Jim
Jimbo
Kite Crew in Training

Postby WaWaZat » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:08 pm

Jimbo wrote:Awsome trip! Thanks all for fun times. Ryan, Jeff and I hung around the parking lot for another 30 min or so waiting for the storm front to pass. Jeff left for the trip home then the sun came out and another thermal kicked in. ( Sent a text to Jeff to come back but no reply) Rushed down to the beach, Ryan on his rebel 14 an me on my obsession 13.5. One last ride! :lol: We tacked our way to the bay area, played around for an hr. Then the wind slowly died out but just enough wind for a down wind ride back. Had some dinner at a local establishment then hit the road. Got home around 1:00 AM this morning.
Way to go... great to hear!! 'Till the next time!!
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

Postby WaWaZat » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:10 pm

4w7s wrote:i just got done with a 3 day epic road trip, ripping,toasting and swillin with my kitin komrades: Tawas super shred, Mecca loopin love session and back to my hood for some spanky on apres storm bumps,

Sorry we missed you Roberto... I for one was looking forward to Thermal Tech Talk over Scrumptiously Smoldering S'mores, or just Mulling over the Magic, with a seasoned kiting master. Oh well, more adventures coming soon!!
Mike
3ME Kite Sports
eus@3mekite.com
WaWaZat
Zen Levitator

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forum