Beginners?

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Beginners?

Postby Fiji » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:02 pm

Hey Guys,

Recently took lessons over the past two months while visiting my brother in the Long Beach and looking to practice my skills in a safe manner. Would like to go out this Thursday or Friday and wanted to see if anyone else was planning on kiting as well. Live in downtown Chicago and am willing to drive/carpool if anyone is interested...I have only been able to get up on my board once so would like to practice as much as possible.

Pic of my last trip to Cali

Best,

Fiji
2011 GK Trix
Spleene Board

PS I am an ER doctor and will barter free healthcare for further teaching/lessons/advice....haha
Fiji
Kiter Noob

Re: Beginners?

Postby Bob » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:04 pm

PS I am an ER doctor and will barter free healthcare for further teaching/lessons/advice....haha

Fiji

haha...you'll loose out big time in that deal with me. When I drive by ER's, the crews wave to me. LOL.

Good luck and if you want to come up to Madison, give me a ring, but we're quite backed up this year again.

Bob
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:15 am

Hi Fiji,

First of all welcome to the Chicago kitesurfing forum. The best way to figure out if some one is going somewhere is to keep an eye out on the "where to ride" section.

Second (not really relevant but interesting to know) what gear do you have? (read: how big are your kites that you own and board that you have)?

Third, you are always more then welcome to join kytbord and me when we hitting the road again. We are planning for this Sunday but where is still the big question mark. Keep an eye out for some good winds around the lake!

Maurice
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby Fiji » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:49 am

Hey Maurice,

Thanks for the message, I have three kites, newest and the one that I re-learned on is

1. 2011 13M GK Trix

My other kites include a 2. Old 9M Waroo 3. Old 12M RRD Type Wave which I haven't flown in about 2 years. I have a Spleene Door 64 as my primary board, also a surf board which I have never ridden with a kite.

Just finishing up an overnight in the ED and hoping to get out tomorrow, will check out the where to ride forum and see whats going on!
Fiji
Kiter Noob

Postby Dutchkiteboarder » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:20 am

Hey Fiji,

I just read your post and did a little research on the web about your newest kite. The Trix won't come in a 13 meter so it has to be a 12 (website: http://www.usa.globekites.com/index.php ... ation_id=7 ). Which means you have 2 same size kites and one 9 meter.

If it really is a 13 I would try to sell the other 12 meter that you have, main reason too much overlap between the 2 kites. The only one concern I have a little bit is your Spleene door. This is a great board for less windy conditions but how does it preform in windy conditions?

Any of you Chicago experts out there any experience with the Spleene door in windy conditions? How does it hold edge and stuff.

Good luck on finding a good place for riding this week!
Dutchkiteboarder
Kite Dominator

Postby Like To Kite » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:50 pm

Hi Fiji,

Welcome to kiting and the Chicago kite community! Happy to help you out anytime! Forecast not looking too great this weekend for kiting around Chicago. May head up to LSP this coming week, will post about that in the Where To Ride section. Maurice, good point about that big board. That Spleene is great for light winds and flat water. As you improve, you'll want a smaller size board that is more maneuverable, easier to hold an edge and fun. Hope to meet with you soon!
Amanda
http://www.LikeToKite.com
(773) 672-3210
Like To Kite
Resident Windfreak

Return to Open Forum