longboarding when there isn't good wind

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

longboarding when there isn't good wind

Postby snowball » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:44 pm

Long boarding plain and simple is awesome. I just got a board and transportation wise no more need to take CTA buses etc. you can skate pretty much anywhere with in 10 miles easily if you stay hydrated. Work out wise it keeps you in shape. Skills wise it’s just like snowboarding with a mix of surfing in there too will improve your kiteboarding skills.

Just wanted to post this for everyone on the days there is no wind long boarding is a sport you should seriously consider :)
Boards range from $100 - $300 and there are all differant shapes and sizes etc.

Stay safe and have fun

-Henry
My Quiver: Slingshot Fuels, Best Waroos, Mystic Harness, Brokite Board, Zap Skimboard, Naish Surfboard.

KITEBOARDING LESSONS - WATER - SNOW - LAND + GEAR SALES !!!

Owner at http://www.ChicagoKiteboardingLessons.com Email: Chicagokitelessons@gmail.com
snowball
Boosticus Maximus

Re: longboarding when there isn't good wind

Postby victor » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:59 pm

Hi Henry,
I really like the carveboards.
I got a surfstik and just manage to find a carveboard.
These are really fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESuWczZC ... re=related
Different than longboards...
Carve on.
Victor
victor
Board Monkey

Postby bunaruna » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:43 am

Right on, longboarding is a great no wind activity. If you want to extend your range try using a land paddle. Land paddling is super fun/fast and gives your core a great workout. I made one last year with about $15 worth of materials from home depot. Here's the post I used as a guide when building it.

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/f ... addle.html

I covered the pvc on the end with a piece of an old mountain bike tire.

This year I upgraded to the kahuna big stick to get a better road grip and an adjustable shaft that collapses when I arrive at a destination.

http://www.kahunacreations.com/bigstick ... -moko.html
-Abuna
8M Thruster
12M blue xbow 2
135 underground flx
bunaruna
Wind Chaser

Postby V » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:53 pm

I have one of these. Used it to get Chinese food, pick up belt sander belts from Ace, etc... Great fun too!. I can crank it hard enough to slide out but haven't quite mastered the slide yet. I always wind up on my butt. Already beating up on it pretty good. Got some nice cherries on my elbows right now haha.

Red trucks with purple wheels:

V
Unstrapped!

Postby smpl » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:14 pm

loaded are top notch.
smpl
Zen Levitator

Postby nG » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:58 am

i started longboarding this spring and my quiver already includes neversummer heist, gravity brad edwards pro, and atom lowrider :)

great sport, but be very careful, and wear protection, specially wrist! i could not kiteboard for more than a month because of a little mistake.
G
nG
Master of Kite

Postby Derek » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:54 pm

http://www.originalskateboards.com/long ... longboards

got mine in March
no major skin loss - yet
Derek
Board Monkey

Postby V » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:15 pm

Derek, where idd you get your original. I looked and waited for two months. Even last month I went to the only shop in the burbs that sells longboards and they can't get any...still...a year later.

Original "looks" interesting and I wanted to try one, but their customer response is lacking. Tell me about the trucks. Are they bomber or what?
V
Unstrapped!

Postby Derek » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:39 pm

V,
I bought direct from Original, but I had to do a real sales job on them to process my order. They didn’t respond to emails or phone messages, so I called constantly one afternoon until I got someone.

My knowledge is extremely limited as I am certainly a novice. I just decided to go with the largest trucks manufactured (25 cm), I put Seismic wheels on them for more surface area. I’m 6’1” and 210lbs with size 13 feet, so this influenced my idea that wider should be more stable for me. I believe it rides fantastic and turns on a dime, but need to ride something narrower to test. I can tell you that the softer (75a) wheels with more contact area make for a smoother ride over gravel. I’ll have to let you borrow it for a week or two to learn more.
Derek
Derek
Board Monkey

Postby seblue » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:59 pm

I took my MBS comp pro95board and took off the bindings and would ride next to my kids on their scooters. It is much easier to handle on the street without the bindings. It would be really fun to be towed by someone on a bike or make a low long ramp. It it a lot easier to ride up the curbs and down them with the bounce in this board. I really want to go down that hill by route 53 and 75th street in woodridge. It would be like snowboarding but on the grass. That hill I am referring to is an old dump and has pipes coming out of the ground so I would have to be careful if I try that. It would be nice to do that hill with someone else I have another MBS board.

This kind of activity is fun and hard exercise that I can do when it is not 90' or 100'.
07 SlingShot 15M Link,13M Fuel
6.2 M FelxiFoil Blade, MBS Comp 95 Pro
Sean 630-939-5001
seblue
Resident Windfreak

Return to Open Forum