Leaky Valve Repair Options...

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Leaky Valve Repair Options...

Postby jdsoohoo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:04 am

Hi all,

So I have a small (slow leaking) hole on my 15m leading edge bladder's inflate valve (slingshot fuel 15m). Has anybody had any experience repairing le bladder valves? What's the best method? So far I have come across...

1) airtime u-stick valves: http://www.airtimekite.com/index.php/ai ... alves.html

2) using bladder patches cut to size: http://www.oceanextremesports.com/kiteb ... patch.html (one of many kinds)

3) buying a whole new le bladder (I want to avoid this if possible)

4) anything else?

Also, my friend has a bunch of #3 struts that have the same type of valve leakage problems (on both his 9m and 16m). However, he already tried to repair the leak between the valve and the bladder using some type of marine glue. Sadly, it did not work out so well for him and he is debating whether to buy new struts or attempt to patch.

Thanks for any advice in advance,
John
jdsoohoo
Board Monkey

Re: Leaky Valve Repair Options...

Postby nicole » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:07 am

I have fuels and have replaced almost all the valves on them. The airtime u-stick is the best way to go. Pretty easy to do as well
nicole
Master of Kite

Postby jdsoohoo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:22 am

Thanks for the quick response, Nicole! Great, I was leaning towards the u-stick valve option and probably will do it now that I have some first-hand user input. =]

Any thoughts for my friend, anyone? He probably can't get away with replacing the valve since he already used glue to try to fix it. Do you think cutting like a washer-shaped hole in a bladder patch would work?

Thanks,
John
jdsoohoo
Board Monkey

Postby nicole » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:40 pm

oh i didnt even see the part about your friend's struts. you can use the airtime u-stick valves on those too. just make sure you get the right valve.
nicole
Master of Kite

Postby jdsoohoo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:28 pm

You're right! I just found some u-stick valves with a 3 inch base... should be plenty!
jdsoohoo
Board Monkey

Return to Open Forum