Local Madison rider in ICU

Feelin' depressed? Don't know where to turn when the man's got you down? Lay it on us!...anything about kiteboarding, or not...

Moderators: Misfit, adseguy, Pier, Bob, kris, IVO, skysurfr, West

Local Madison rider in ICU

Postby Bob » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:52 pm

One of our local riders is in critical condition and we're all hoping for his full recovery. For those of you who have met Ben Palmer, you'll know he was as stoked on kiteboarding as anyone and a super nice person. There's more info on the link below and we'll use that to keep people updated, but we thought it would be a good idea to let rides on this forum know of Ben's accident. Thanks in advance for all well wishes, etc.

http://mb.kiteridersllc.com/viewtopic.php?t=2066
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Re: Local Madison rider in ICU

Postby 4w7s » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:15 pm

Fingers crossed and prayers for Ben and his family.
Wishing him a full & speedy recovery.

Roberto
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby jensmadwind » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:26 am

thank you Roberto

update as of 10 last night:

The MRI came back with some positive results. Ben has no spinal injuries except for some slight ligament damage. He remains under sedation but the pressure in his head is stable and at low and manageable levels.

Jeff, Emily, chris, and I were in his room as the nurse performed her checkup. Which includes bringing Ben temporarily out of sedation to get accurate pressure measurements and to do some response tests. As the sedative wore off Ben immediately began to move all four limbs and his body begins to fight the restraints. This was very positive for us to see as it seems he has full motor function.

The next two days are crunch time. The doctors predict the swelling to peak some time in the next 48 hours. As Ben fights his way through these tough hours ahead the hospital staff asks to keep all visitation to a minimum and may even officially restrict it. So I guess the best thing to do is keep Ben in your thoughts and I will keep the forum as up to date with info as it is given to me.
10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Postby West » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:25 am

Thanks for the update Jens......been thinking of Ben ever since you told me of the acccident yesterday. As nice of a guy as you will ever meet, that's for sure. Please keep us informed of his recovery, and rest assured that there are many friends thinking about him.

I will be thinking of you as well buddy.....you and Ben have been practically joined at the hip for years...kiting, working, and hanging at every opportunity. Hang in there Jens, and keep bringing that positive energy!! :D
West
Wind Whore

Postby ironben » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:27 am

i just find out about this tragedy. very sad to hear anyone get that kind of injury. from reading ur post and facebook seem as things are getting better. hopefully he will recover fast and this would be thing of the past!
FAT LADY 17M;RPM 9,12M;Nobile NHP 7m
NHP 137";2015 SS Celeritas 5.11
Ben 630space638space3888 http://www.youtube.com/ironbeno
ironben
Master of Kite

Postby JDL » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:35 pm

+++++++VIBES+++++++

The best to Ben and all those involved. Be strong, get well.....
John
JDL
Wind Chaser

Postby jensmadwind » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:29 am

update as of late last night.

Ben remains in stable condition. The pressure in his head has remained low and manageable. He is still being given a sedative to restrict his bodies natural desire to free himself from the tubes and wires that are keeping him in his stable situation.

From what I understand throughout today and tonight the swelling should peak. Once he is no longer at risk of increased pressure on the brain than the long road to recovery can begin.

The nurses believe that the less stimulation the better throughout the rest of this critical time.
10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Postby adseguy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:09 am

It hurts to hear this. I'll keep updated through the kiteriders forum. My best to his family.
Adrien - 773-208-3443
7,12 Epic Screamers
2014 7,9,10,12,17 Blade Triggers
2014 132x41 Axis Vanguard
adseguy
Wind Whore

Postby Northerner » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:39 am

I thought alot about Ben yesterday when out on the water in Two Rivers. I have ridden up there with him numerous times and I know it is one of his favorite spots. The Sheboygan crew is pulling hard for him and I have been getting many questions about his condition and progress from riders here and from more northern spots on the lake.

It's really sad that something so bad can happen to someone that so kind and true. The entire kite community is pulling for ya Ben and I know this will work out for ya.

I also want to thank Jens for taking on a difficult and very draining role of being point man for Ben and being there for him when others can't.

The best to everyone, especially our good friend Ben.
I'd rather be Rollerblading
Northerner
Zen Levitator

Postby jensmadwind » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:17 am

thank you andrew,

To all,

There has been a website created at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/benpalmer. This is a journal of Ben's condition created by his mother Teri and updated by the family and myself. Please go there and use your email address to create a log in. You can stay up to date and contribute( by contribute I do not mean money, hold off on that) to the site.

Update as of Wednesday morning,

As of this morning Ben remains stable and moving towards having the ventilator (breathing assistance) removed. As he shows ability to breath on his own without overworking his system he will be freed from the tubes going into his mouth.

Along with the removal of the ventilation assistance comes the reduction of sedation. He will then be free of the artificial restraints on consciousness. That does not mean he will immediately wake up but it will enable outside stimulus to get to him without the cloud of medical sedation.

As far as I know there are no restrictions on visitation. Please keep Ben in your thoughts and Prayers.

Jens
10 mph?
jensmadwind
Zen Levitator

Postby STF » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:48 pm

STF------->Sending healing vibes
STF
Boosticus Maximus

Postby bunaruna » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:27 pm

Just logged on to CKS for the first time in a while. So sad to hear about this accident, the few times I've met Ben he's been super nice and friendly. Sending positive vibes to him and his family. Be strong and get well soon.
-Abuna
8M Thruster
12M blue xbow 2
135 underground flx
bunaruna
Wind Chaser

Postby West » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:09 am

Ben is slowly but surely making strides toward better health..........he has a wonderful support group, full of friends and family. Please keep him at the forefront of your daily thoughts!!!!

Keep on keeping on Ben...................you'll be flying again sooon!

The cambridge site has ukpdates to his condition, check it out.................
West
Wind Whore

Postby 737flyboy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:51 pm

Ben "rally time" Palmer...

Flew up to MSN today to meet up with some of the Mad Town Crew and go visit Ben...he is amazing...as hard as it is to see him out of his element the progress he has made in the short time since he "woke up" can't be viewed as anything short of miraculous. No question there is still a long road ahead but this gentle, soulful guy is a true warrior at heart.

He made eye contact with each of us as we sat and talked to him. He shook his head and grunted what came across as a pretty emphatic no when Bob asked him if he remembered the accident. He reached his hand out to grab mine when I offered it. He smiled and you could feel him trying to chuckle at a comical remark. He pulled himself up to sitting position on the bed by pulling on my hand with his stronger arm. With limited help from me he stood up of his own volition. He followed Mandy"s verbal instructions to bend his knees, find the chair arm just by feeling for it and then sat himself down using my help only for balance.

I know that no one knows what tomorrow holds...this freak accident has made that painfully clear to all of us who love and care about Ben...but one thing is clear...Ben is hardcore. That old saying about still waters running deep couldn't be truer.

Keep all that love and positive energy flowing Mad Town way...rally time Ben...we love you!

John Champion
Keep the Blue Side Up.
737flyboy
Wind Chaser

Postby Bob » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:19 pm

John...that was really cool of you to come all this way for Ben.

Wish we had more time to get caught up, but was great to see you. Keep the blue side up, right?
Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
madison, wi
Bob
Wind Whore

Postby 4w7s » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:19 pm

Good on you lads for staying close to your friend at a really tough time. Rest assured it absolutely means the world to him.

Keeping Ben in our thoughts and wishing him and family/friends the strength to get through this and back on his feet as soon as possible.
Roberto
PASA Level II Instructor
4w7s
Zen Levitator

Postby Madison Greg » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:44 am

Just another update on Ben's condition. I spent some time with him on Labor day and the improvement is incredible. The Nurses and aides can't believe how fast he is advancing. I held conversations with him, he is able to walk, he wants out! He still needs rehab for his right side but it is only a matter of time now. Thanks for everyones support!
Madison Greg
Board Monkey

Postby West » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:22 pm

Man is that the greatest news..................so damn stoked to hear that Ben is turning the corner.........keep on buddy!!!!!
West
Wind Whore

Postby V » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:12 am

Wow just saw this. Hadn't seen ben in a while I wish him (you) the best! Longboarding? Makes me want to get a helmet now. I'm sure ben knew what he was doing, and I ride with my 2 yr old on my shoulder, too. Probably not a good idea anymore...

Glad to hear he (you) are doing allright dude!
V
Unstrapped!

Postby rjajr » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:17 am

My first reading of this thread, prayers for a continued recovery to Ben.

Bob
Bob
rjajr
Board Monkey

Next

Return to Open Forum